Thursday, July 31, 2008

Dare To Get Dirty Duck!

If you haven't already commented on yesterday's card, you have until noon CST today to do that so you could win it. I'll be back after that to announce the winner.
This is the card I made for Michelle's challenge at Splitcoaststampers Dirty Girl's challenges. Her challenge (and it's definitely a challenge!) was to make a masculine card. Usually when I go to make a masculine card I pull out my Lovely As A Tree set and then go to the store and buy one! LOL! Really, masculine cards are hard for me. I wanted to do something besides my trees so I rummaged through some old stamps and found this duck in some cat tails. I don't know if this is a mallard duck or not, but I colored him as if he were.



I don't know who makes the stamp since the one I have is unmounted and my unmounted stamps are not organized by company and there's no identifying marks on the back. I colored the image with colored pencils. The top corners are cuttlebug dies. The background is stamped with Stampin Up's mesh background stamp. I stamped the image with close to cocoa ink. I was afraid black ink would make the green color on his head hard to see.
See my little "thinking of you"? Notice that it's AIRBRUSHED?! Yes! I was lucky enough to get an air can and trigger to use with my copics for my birthday. (Thanks Claudette!) I will say using those things definitely takes practice. Lots of practice!
I hope all of you are staying cool in these hot dog days of summer. Thanks for looking!

5 comments:

Pam in Ar. said...

Great card Holly...is that mulberry paper on it too or is it just distressed paper, I couldn't tell.

Now next time you need a "manly" card...you'll have one!

Love the coloring............

Sarah {SCS: Sairabee} said...

I have a hard time with masculine cards too, but this is gorgeous! Nice work, and have fun w/ your new toy! ;)

Kristin said...

I love the airbrushing!! Very good- my bday is Sunday, think I could get one too :-)

Awesome card!

Kat said...

Oh Holly ~ This is so superbly done. The coloring. The layering. The embellishments. I really love all of it. The Cuttlebug corners are great - as well as the brads around them. I do not like to color animals 'cuz I can't get them to look good - but you sure did GREAT on this Mallard. Quack!

Diane said...

Oh wow!Abssolutely gorgeous!