Sunday, August 24, 2008

Chalked Sky tutorial

Sticky - My daughter finally figured out the subscribe thing for me and you can now subscribe to my blog with e mail updates a lot easier. I really hope some of you will take the time to do that! Just look to the left of my blog to see where to sign up.

A really sweet girl from Splitcoast Stampers wrote me and said she was having trouble doing a sky with chalk like I said I do. I told her I'd try to get a tutorial up for her, and today is the day!
First step is to stamp my image and color it. Then I take a piece of scrap paper that is straight on one side and lay that down where I want the horizon line to be.



Then I take a cotton ball and rub it over the chalk and lightly tap and rub the chalk over the scrap paper on to the cardstock creating the horizon line.



Then I take a piece of copy paper and tear a loose wave for my template. Some people use scalloped circles, but I think they look a little too uniform so I prefer the torn paper. I move up the card from the chalk line I just laid down and place my template down and apply some more chalk.



When you move your paper away, the chalk line will appear very stark. Soften it a little bit by rubbing the cotton ball lightly between the chalk line and the unchalked part of the cardstock.



Continue moving your torn paper up the card and chalking, but also move the paper over and upside down so you don't have the same wave over and over.





And here is the finished sky.



When this is done, take your scrap piece that you used for the horizon and lay it on the horizon line, but cover the sky part and chalk in your grass. I spray my card at this point with a matte fixative so the chalk doesn't rub off or smear.
And here is the finished card!



I'd like to thank Karin at scrap everything for sending this darling image to color! The card base was embossed with an Ellison texture sheet, and I used a left over piece of designer paper that Sue from Stampin Daly sent me in her summer challenge. I used a piece of left over ribbon to tie through the heart button and added some glitter to the wings with a sakure stardust gelly pen. Kind of a sweet card huh?
I hope this helps anyone who wanted to know how to do a chalked sky. I'd love to see any skies you make like this! Thanks for looking!

11 comments:

JAR said...

Beautiful card - and a great little tutorial!!

JUST JUDY and her STAMPS! said...

I've been stamping for thirteen years plus and I just now learn this??? This is amazing!! Great Job Miss Holly-- A-DORA-BLE card!!
I must save this and teach at my club soon. OKAY, finally I came back to get the directions on the award you gave me to I too can pass it along - -I have all of SUNDAY MORNING FREE -- before I start to stamp!! Thanks again - -you're a great friend!

Judy :)

Pam in Ar. said...

YAY....I'm activated!!!!!!!!

Catherine said...

pretty cool tutorial...see if i can do it...LOL! love your card =)

Jules said...

Thank you for that tutorial - great card :o)

Debby said...

Cute cute cute! Thanks for the tutorial. I am sky challenged as it were.

Sarah {SCS: Sairabee} said...

Great card, and great tutorial! :)

Anonymous said...

Holly I am just amazed. Thanks so much for doing this tutorioal for me. YOU ARE AN ANGEL!!! And such asn inspiration to me. HUGS! Nicole :)

Dana said...

Wow, that DOES look easy enough for me to do!! I never did believe people that just decribed it, but your pictures are perfect!!

Cute card, by the way!!

I will be sooo fun to see what you come up with next!

Robyn Weatherspoon said...

Oh what a great technique! I'm so gonna use it! Thanks!

Terria said...

Very neat , i will have to give this a try. Thanks for another great tutorial.