Friday, August 1, 2008

Down & Dirty Watercolor

Still showing all the cards I did for the Dare To Get Dirty challenges at Splitcoast Stampers. This one was for Christine's challenge which was to make a watercolor card. I chose a bird on a branch image by Stamps Happen. I love the little birds that Carolyn Shore Wright does.



I stamped the bird on watercolor paper with black ink and then clear embossed it. I like to emboss my images when I watercolor because the little embossed lines will help hold the watercolor in the space I'm coloring. I used twinkling H2os and an aqua brush to paint with. You can't really see the shimmer these paints have in the photo, but it's really shimmery! I almost really messed it up after it was all painted because I went around the edges with a gold paint pen and it kind of spread into my picture on one corner, and then when I went to blot it on a pad of paper I got some on the sky to the left of the bird. I added the little copper swirly to the corner thinking it might draw your eye away from my mess up, but now I'm thinking it actually draws your eye to it! LOL! It's probably just my eye being drawn to my glaring mistake!
I mounted this on brown cardstock and then on to a grayish brown card that I embossed just a portion of with a cuttlebug embossing folder. Then just for fun I added little pink and blue rain dots to some the centers of some of the circles. I thought pink and blue would tie in the colors of the bird and the flower. I love those little rain dots though. They are so much fun to use! More dares still to come. I hope you're enjoying them as much as I enjoyed making them! Thanks for looking!

5 comments:

Sue at Stampndaly said...

So cute!!!

Sarah {SCS: Sairabee} said...

This is adorable! I used to have one of the stamps by this artist, and I ended up selling it because I just couldn't color it right. Clearly I should have just given it to you! :)

Kat said...

Great coloring! Love the use of the rain dots. (Where do you get those?) Also liked Sarah's comment - haha!!

Sandy said...

Oh how cute! I have come to the conclusion, I NEED MORE STUFF!!!
My husband wouldn't agree. What tools are you using for coloring and where do you get those rain dots?

Kristine said...

What a cutie bird! Just love birds and this is one of cutest I've seen--little more detail to it. Your watercoloring is really nice and I love how you cb'ed just the right side of your card. Very CUTE!!