Friday, October 24, 2008

Lots of Dots

Yea! It's Friday! I made a really bright card today, so you'd better go get some sunglasses to look at this one! Are you ready?




To make the background piece I cut out some white glossy cardstock and then wadded up some wax paper. Smooth out the waxed paper and lay it on top of the glossy cardstock, cover with a piece of plain copy paper and iron. When you remove the wax paper you can slightly see a pattern on it. But you bring that pattern to life when you brayer color over it! The wax paper resists the ink to create the pattern. It's a really old, but fun technique I haven't done in a while. Sort of looks like tie dye!
Anyway, I may have gotten a bit carried away with my white gel pen making all the dots, but it was fun!

The flowers are actually iron on appliques I found at my local Goodwill store for 50 cents! I got a whole package of 7 in different colors.
Tomorrow my friend and I are going back to the retirement home. This time we are making Christmas cards! We have two card designs planned for them, and will let them make as many as they want. It should be fun, and this time I'm bringing my camera so you can see how happy they are with their creations! Have a happy Friday, and thanks for looking!

6 comments:

Pam in Ar. said...

Lots of dots and I'm seeing spots LOL What a fun card this is! I had forgotten about the waxed paper technique...it's funny how we just kind of go with the latest trends and forget about the ole' tried and true ones. Thanks for reminding us about some of the oldies but goodies :~)

Loved the card!

msfreida said...

Another inspiring card! Hey, I'm old and I have never heard of this technique, so it's new to me! Can't wait to give it a try. Too many dots....NEVER!

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Gorgeous Holly! Love your applique flowers. Your background is fabulous and the dots add to the whimsy of your card!

Sorry if this is a double post...I got a wierd message after my first, something about the action being duplicated, but didn't see my post.

bumblebee creations said...

awww... I wished I lived near you-I would love to join in! I love to see older folks happy and feeling young! gorgeous card as usual! (and I din't even have on my sunglasses!! : ) !!)
TFS Holly!

Anita said...

Cute card! What a neat idea to use iron on's.

Kat said...

No-no-no .... not too many dots.
Yes-yes-yes .... I love polka dots!
Purrrrty card!!