Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Midnight Snack

I wanted to do some bleaching on cards because it's been a while since I have. I stamped my image with black ink on black cardstock and embossed it with clear embossing powder. Here's how it looks embossed.



I like to emboss when bleaching an image because the embossed lines hold the bleach inside so you don't have to be so careful.

Then I took a paintbrush and dipped it in the bleach and painted my image with bleach. I use really cheap paintbrushes that I buy at the dollar store for this technique because the bleach will just each the bristles away. Here's my image bleached.



Doesn't look that much different does it? Some cardstocks just don't bleach as well. I thought if I tried bleaching on some of the coredinations cardstock that it would bleach out really well since the core is lighter, but it didn't bleach out at all. Weird huh?
So then I stamped the image again on some Stampin Up green cardstock, embossed in gold and bleached it. This one bleached out great!



Really, it looks pretty as is, but once the cardstock was dry I colored the pears with some colored pencils and blended with some odorless mineral spirits. Here is the end result.



I went back to the black piece and decided I had nothing to lose by adding color to the pears, so I colored them with colored pencils too. The yellow pencil blended the colors well enough that I didn't need to use mineral spirits this time. I was surprised at how well the colors showed up on the black and I really ended up liking this piece better than the other one.





The greeting was printed out in a font called Pristina. I tried to airbrush the color on the greeting, but my air can was on empty and I only got a little bit of spray before it died. I added speckles instead! The pear image is one my sister drew years ago and was sold by Merry Stamper. Those images are now being sold by I Brake For Stamps, but I don't know that she has released the pear image yet. Thanks for looking!

7 comments:

Pam in Ar. said...

I have tried (notice I said tried), to do this technique before and it was a total bust!

Thanks for giving me the courage to try once again...I love how the cards turned out.

I'll emboss this time :~)

Nancy said...

Those are both very pretty cards! I haven't tried bleaching technique yet, afraid it would be a disaster. May have to venture into that at some point. :)

msfreida said...

Both cards are beautiful, but I agree, the black one is my favorite as well. I have never tried bleach either. Looks like I have another challenge today. Thanks for the inspiration.

Catherine said...

never played with bleach before and your cards are just beautiful...gotta try this technique.

Cynde said...

Very cool using the bleach out look. I love how they both turned out. How fun to experiment with that process. Thanks for the inspiration....

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

These are both awesome! Love the touch of colour you added after bleaching...wonderful effect!

Kristin said...

These are amazing. I will have to try it and VERY soon!