Friday, October 17, 2008

Printing Your Own Greetings

I have a lot of people ask me how I print greetings on my cards; how I get them where I want them. I thought I'd take a moment today to tell you how I do it. Printing greetings is not only a money saver because you don't have to buy simple word stamps, but it's also a way you can personalize your card better. You can make it say anything you want! There are a ton of cool looking fonts out there for free, and you can match your project by printing in virtually any color.

So, let's get started. My card today is a little smaller than a regular A2 size card. When folded, it measures 4" across and
is 4.5" high. I know I want my greeting to be centered in the top portion of the card. I've already stamped my image, colored it, and have it matted and pretty much ready to mount on my card. The image is from Stampin Up's Give Thanks stamp set and I've colored it with copic markers.



I use Microsoft word, but I'm pretty sure you can follow the same steps with whatever word processing program you use. So, I lay my image on my card where I want it to go and get an idea of where my words will go. I can see on this card that I will have to have my greeting in the top 1.5" of the card.



So I go to word and click file and then page setup. You will get a window that looks like this: (Forgive the photos. I just snapped a picture of my monitor instead of doing print screen)



The first thing I do is click on the PAPER tab and I enter the dimensions of my whole sheet of card; in this case 8" wide and 4.5" inches tall.



Now I click on the MARGIN tab. Here is where you have to think for a minute. I knew I wanted my greeting to be in the top 1.5" of the card, so I set my bottom margin for 3". I don't want the greeting to be right up at the top, so I set my top margin for .25". The fold of my card is in the middle which is 4", so that becomes the left margin, and I set the right margin for 0 because I can tell word to automatically center my words.



Now I just have to click okay. I get a message telling me that one or more of my margins are outside the printable area and I get a choice to fix or ignore. I ignore this and trust my measurements.
Now you've got your paper ready to type your greeting!
Choose your font (in my case it's Bradley Hand) and don't worry about size of the font right now. Go over and click the button that tells word to center your text.



Now type your greeting. You can highlight your text at this point and increase or decrease the size of your greeting. I just know that I don't have room for my greeting to go over one line, so I increase it to where it goes across the card, but doesn't get so big it takes up more than one line.



Once you've got it the way you want it, you're ready to print! If you don't feel sure you've measured right, print it out on some plain copy paper first and then you can hold your card up to it and see if the placement is right. Once you've done this a few times you won't have to do that. When you click on the print button, you may get another warning telling you that some parts are outside the margins, but choose to continue anyway and print!



And here's the finished card



I hope that's helped those of you who didn't know how to do this. As always, thanks for looking!

14 comments:

bumblebee creations said...

Holly-what a great teacher you are! I would have not known it could be that easy to make your own wording without the need of a stamp!! Thank you so much!!

msfreida said...

Where were you months ago when I wasted so much CS trying to get this figured out??? Thank you so very much!Your blog is my new source of inspiration.

Anita said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing how you print a saying on a card.

Kat said...

WOW!! Thanks so much for these purrfect detailed instructions, Holly! Your photos are great too. :-D

Robin M said...

Holly~ This is the best bit of good news I've heard all week, or even all month. What always threw me off was "printing outside the margins" I always would click on "fix" and then it really messed me up. Thanks for not staying in the lines and now I know it's okay to "ignore"...lol

Anonymous said...

Great info Holly! I almost did not leave a comment, but for all the lurkers out there who appreciate this bit of instruction, I'm leaving a big Thank you!!

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Wonderful Holly! Great tutorial and fabulous colouring!

Elizabeth said...

What a great tutorial - I will have a go tomorrow!

Thanks also for your fabulous card, it was so lovely to be your blog winner!

Elizabeth
Southampton, UK

Cynde said...

Thank you soooo much for the Tutorial! I always print it up and then punch or cut out a saying, as I don't trust where it will print. LOL...now I know how! Great Job on the Turtorial, you made it seem easy....Thanks again!
Cynde

Catherine said...

great tutorial Holly.. see if i can do this...LOL!

be_an_avonlady said...

Wow! Thanks Holly and very timely. I just got a book called "Say it with Style: Perfect Quotes for Every Card Making Occasion.

Sarah {SCS: Sairabee} said...

Interesting. I've never tried to print a sentiment right on the cs before. I'd be afraid it would get stuck or something. I'll have to try it some time.

barbd said...

great tutorial... I did really well following until last step and could not type saying....Could not proceed. Tutorial still very good and concise.

Barbd said...

2nd comment your tutorial was very good and easy to understand and I must apologize for previous comment. I enjoy your blog and your tutorials . Thank you very much