Monday, October 13, 2008

Then and Now

Before I get to today's post let me answer a question I had yesterday about the bows on my card. The secret to having those bows straight is that I tie the bows separately and then put them on top of the ribbon strip with a glue dot! If I tried to just tied the ribbon around the card my bows would be sideways too!

I am so excited to show ya'll today's project. It's something that I think is really different and would make a unique gift for someone. This would work with stamped images, but I chose to work with photos. First let me show you what it is and then I will show you how to make one.






It's a photo frame with two pictures in one! When viewed from one side you see one photo, and when viewed from the other side you see a different photo!




You may recognize the cute people in the photo as Lauren Meader and her two little girls Alexa and Amber. :)
I think this kind of project is fun to do with photos that show before/after or now/then type. A cute one might be a child with their birthday cake, and then the same child after eating the cake with frosting all over, or something along those lines. Lauren sent me two photos of her with her daughters four years apart. I really like these because they are sitting in the same order in each photo. Thanks for helping me out with the photos Lauren!
Okay, so let's get started on how to make these!
First, you will need:

One piece of cardstock 10 1/2" x 4 1/4"
Two pieces of cardstock 5 1/4" x 4 1/4"
Two photos slightly larger than 5 1/4" x 4 1/4"
glue or double sided tape
ruler
craft blade
a scoring board is helpful, but not necessary.

Take your 10 1/2" x 4 1/4" cardstock and score every 3/8" along the long side (this will be 27 score lines).



After scoring, fold your score lines, beginning with a mountain fold. Then lable the bottom of every other scored section from left to right 1 through 14, then go back and fill in the blank sections from left to right A through N.



Now pick which photo will be your "then" view and glue it to one of the 5 1/4" x 4 1/4" pieces of cardstock. Trim the photo to fit the cardstock. Turn it over and draw a light line every 3/8". At the bottom number each section 1 through 14, BUT start at the right and go to the left. This will help you with placement of your photo and since you're numbering the back, you need to number backwards so it will be right when you turn it over.


PHOTO MOUNTED AND TRIMMED


BACK OF PHOTO

Do the same thing with your other photo on the other piece of cardstock, only this time instead of numbers use letters A through N and remember to do it backwards!




Okay, now comes the scary part; cutting your photos! Cut each photo into strips following the lines you drew on the back of each. You will have each photo cut into 14 strips. Lay a line of double stick tape or glue on the back of the strip that is numbered one and adhere it to the scored section that has the number one on it. Do this for all fourteen strips. Here is how mine is looking after just four strips.



After you've completed gluing down the first photo strips, it will look like this



When you are finshed with the first photo, you will do the same thing with the second photo strips, gluing them down to the corresponding letters you made. It should now look like this:



At this point it's good to fold all of your score lines together and get them spaced apart evenly. You can now glue this down to a card or if you want to put it in a frame like I did you will glue it to a piece of cardstock that is 5 1/4" x 4 1/4"




and then fit that into a frame of your choosing. I purchased my frame at the dollar store and had to make it a little deeper by gluing some foam board on to the back.

I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial and that you will give it a try! Thanks for looking!

28 comments:

bumblebee creations said...

WOW!! That is amazing!! I will definately have to try to do this-you are right -it would make an excellent (christmas) gift!!
And I can NEVER get my bows straight-not even when I try it like you do!! Practice, practice.... I guess that is what I need! Thanks for taking the time for the tutorial!!

Pam in Ar. said...

Holly...you have out done yourself for sure!!!
I'm thinking Christmas too!!! How cool would it be if I took a picture of my daughter and myself when she was a baby and then a picture of us now...that would make such a special gift...I'm so excited with this. Thanks for sharing :~)

Lauren (mytime) said...

OMG!!!!!!!! IM balling! This is just gorgeous! WOW! Did I ever pick 2 good photos to send you, having NO IDEA what you were up to! This is amazing Holly!! There are no words to describe it
Ill be posting a link here later today! Thank you so much for uses us as your inspiration. I love it!! Excellent work, as always!

Kat said...

MEOWZA!!!!!

Lorraine said...

Wow! this is something else. I can't believe how talented you are. I'm not sure I'm up to attempting this so I'll just come back and stalk your amazing work! thanks for sharing. this is truly amazing!

Heidi said...

This is fabulous!

Tiffany Bauer said...

OMG!!! This is awesome!! Great job and thanks so much for sharing how to make one. I am going to give this a try!!

Cris A said...

What a fantastic gift!!!

Sarah {SCS: Sairabee} said...

What a sweet gift. The pictures she sent are perfect for this!

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Absolutely amazign Holly! What a cool way to display two photos...I love it!

JUST JUDY and her STAMPS! said...

And your plane arrives when tomorrow to show me how to do this fantastic project???

I LOVE IT !!

Ann said...

Wow! Very cool! Thanks for the step by step!

Wild Clover said...

Wow, Holly. This is the cutest idea ever! I really want to try this!

Regan said...

beautiful!!

Kim said...

That is AMAZING! What STUNNING work! Love it!
Hugs~ Kim

Tamara said...

this is a cute reminder of a project I did in art class about 20 years ago. I never considered using it in my current crafting projects.

Renee V. said...

WOW.....double WOW!
The pictures couldn't have been more perfect for this project!
I'm so trying this!
Thank you so much for sharing this and the directions. You are incredible!
Hugs,
Renee

Barb B said...

WOW, this is positively amazing!!! I will most certainly be giving this one a try!!!

Thanks for the super idea and taking the time to tell us how to make this!!! I am just totally amazed by this!!!

Debbi said...

Wow, truly breathtaking! Thanks so much for the instructions. I will be bookmarking this and giving it a try!

Love the pictures of the Meader "ladies"!

Jo said...

WOW, This is so cool! Thanks for a great gift idea and the wonderful tuturial!

Chris Scrappin and Stampin in Texas said...

This is absolutely spectacular! i will try this and let you know..Chris

Ps Lauren and her girls look great.

Barefootstamper said...

This is just incredibly cool!

You were the Tutorial of the Week at Card of the Week.com. You can see the original post here.

I did use a picture from your post, with links back to the site and the original post. I hope that is OK. Please feel free to email me if you need me to change anything.

I also have an “I was featured” on badge for you if you want it :D

Thanks again for sharing!

Melanie said...

very cool I had to run over from COTW to check out, I recognized thse faces instantly! Thanks for sharing such a great tutorial, I will have to try!!

Carrie said...

That is soooo neat. It still amazes me how crafters come up with projects. I gonna have to try this one out for sure! Thanks for sharing!

hemidemisemiquaver said...

Beautiful job on this and for such a great friend. You really have a wow project here and SO kind of you to do it for Lauren :))
Becky

carin said...

This is a project that the photo classes at my high school do, and a couple of years ago I made two for my sister of exactly what someone suggested--her children just after they were born and now. I also did the baby one in black and white and the today one in color. It is easy making these in any size if you do the math. I used 8x10 photos and thus made a 20 inch display (about 16 inches when properly set), to hang in the hallway. It's good to hang it in such a place so it can be seen as you are approaching and then going back. Nice job on yours, and a very memorable gift!

Rose Ann said...

This is truly incredible and wonderful, Holly!!!

Nancy Ward said...

Hi!

Today I posted an entry on my blog with a link to this great tutorial.

Would you let me know if that's OK?

Thanks,

Nancy Ward