Friday, October 10, 2008

Trees of Red and Gold

The trees are really starting to change around here now. I just love seeing the beautiful colors the leaves turn! It's just great park walking weather! the other day we were out walking in the park and my husband stumbled on something. We looked down and the ground was littered with these huge hickory nuts! We have hickory nut trees in our yard, so we are used to hickory nuts, but these nuts are gigantic compared to the ones in our yard! Here's a picture I took of a quarter next to one of the normal sized hickory nuts and then one of the gigantic ones we found.



Isn't that amazing?! We brought a bunch home to surprise the squirrels in our yard with. They'll think it's Christmas morning! LOL!

Today's card is fall themed and uses a stamp of bare trees by Posh Impressions. After stamping the trees I used a sponge dauber to add circles of color to mimic fall colors. The words to the left are from a Unity stamps set.



Do you see the border along the top and bottom of the image? Can you guess what that is? I used a flower punch, and here's how I did it. I laid my image down on the brown cardstock and drew a line along the top and bottom. Then I took my flower punch and lined the center of the punch along the line so half the flower punched out above the line and half below the line.



Then I moved it over until I couldn't see the one I had just punched and punched again going down the whole line. Then I had this



When I had the top and bottom done, all I had to do was glue or tape my image down on the brown cardstock and only one half of the flower showed above and below my stamped image. I mounted this on some designer paper that shows through the holes. I thought it was a cool look. I added some ribbon and a few scored lines below the designer paper strip. Thanks for looking!

8 comments:

Beverly aka beestamper said...

very cool! love your card! aren't sponge daubers fun!

Beverly aka beestamper said...

oh, and btw.. my squirels were wondering if you could.... just kidding. those hickory nuts are gigantic! Your squirels are gonna get fat!

Pat - An Arkansas Stamper said...

Very clever use of your flower punch, Holly. Thanks for sharing.

Catherine said...

Holly, i really like what you did with the flower punch...pretty cool!

Debby said...

Well aren't you the clever one. The flower punch the trees, wonderful. Nice!

Kat said...

Once again, Holly, your creativity and ingenuity totally amaze me! What a terrific use of your flower punch -- *and* sponge daubers!

How sweet of you to bring home that huge hickory nut for 'your' squirrels. :-D

Sarah {SCS: Sairabee} said...

Cute card. I love the vertical scores. And I luvvvv hickory nuts! Forget the squirrels - make cake! Did you know hickory nuts sell for $9/quart up here (if you're lucky)?!!

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Beautiful card, and I love your punch border idea!