Sunday, January 25, 2009

Flinging Hearts

Hey everyone! Thanks for your comments on my video yesterday. I do hope you try to make that card! Freida said she was going to do this as soon as she got a score board. I have to tell all of you that you don't have to have a score board of any kind to score your cards. You can do it with a bone folder and a ruler. Heck, if you don't have a bone folder you can use an empty ink pen or the dull side of a kitchen knife!
Today's card is cute little valentine card, but there's an added surprise inside, and while Chesney was helping me film yesterday's tutorial I got her to film the surprise in this card as well!



This is a cute Magnolia image I got from an image trade. I colored it with copics and added some glitter gel pen to the hearts. Since she's sprinkling little hearts from her basket, I thought it would be a good image to use on a confetti flinger!
A confetti flinger is a fun little pop up you make and add to the inside of the card. It is powered by a rubber band so that when the card is opened it pops up. You place a little tissue pouch on top of the pop up and add confetti inside the pouch and confetti is flinged out!
It's a card I learned how to make a long time ago when I first started stamping. I remember how excited I was to finally learn how to make one of these. They are really fun to do, and even more fun if you can hand deliver the card so you can see the person's reaction when they open it.

Here is how you construct the flinger



Fold in side tabs and glue or tape down. This gives added re-inforcement to the flinger.



cut little notches out where indicated. This is where the rubber band will go.



This is how you will place it in your card.



you fold the pop up and glue the other tab end down. Place your rubber band in the notches and make a tissue pouch for the confetti. Someone (can't remember who because it was so long ago) discovered that you can also use empty miniature milk dud boxes as confetti flingers!



Anyway, here's a video that will show in this card in action! I hope you like it!

22 comments:

Tracey said...

This is gorgeous Holly!! I love the Magnolia images. :) Thanks for the tutorial as well!

Sarah {SCS: Sairabee} said...

I'm ba-ack! :) This is adorable, even if she has no face. ;)

msfreida said...

What a precious image, and I LOVE what you did with it! I'm kinda known as a prankster, so this is right up my alley!!! I'm so glad you did a video, because I don't think I would have ever figured this one out! Thanks for such a fun one! :)

I have an even greater appreciation for your coloring now that I took the time to play with some copics. I think if my image hadn't had such a large area to color, I would have been fine (kinda!)I've played with them before on flower petals, and had no problems. But I found out I need LOTS of practice on large things! So I will be studying your work a whole lot closer! LOL!

Hugs~

Kristie said...

Your card is adorable!!

Kat said...

Love the card - even tho, as Sarah said, "she has no face"! LOL

What's funny is that even when you are expecting to be "flung at", you jump & get surprised when it happens. ;-D

Lauri said...

Oh I love this card and this tutorial!!! I have to try this out! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Kristie said...

That Magnolia is just adorable...I'm definitely going to have to get some of those stamps...add it to the never-ending list...lol. Your colouring is, of course, just perfect!!! I love the confetti flinger too...very clever :)

Pam in Ar. said...

You are such a jokester Holly...That's what I love about you...ya never know what you're going to get :~)

I'm for sure gonna try this one out! Love it.....

Rach said...

this is fantastic what a fabulous card. thank you for the tutorial . hugs rachxx

Nicci said...

Great idea, thanks for sharing!

Emma said...

Such a cute card, love the Tilda images.
Fantastic video...must have a go myself.
Emma x

Lacey Stephens said...

This is very cute!!!
~Lacey

Crissy Armstrong said...

What a great card! I know so many people who would love this! Thank you for the great tutorial on how to make it. Yours turned out wonderful!

Annasmama said...

How sweet is this!!! :-)))

Sara (Chicago Girl) said...

Love the card! That confetti flinger is perfect for my sons upcoming birthday. Thanks for sharing!

Vickie ~ BGlad Papercrafts said...

Oh, this is fun!! I used your instructions to fling hearts on my honey for Valentine's day. Thank you!!

Isabel said...

Thank you very much for this great tutorial

sflint said...

I have been looking for an awesome card like this one! Thanks love it! Cant wait to gift one! lol I cant wait to see what else you have created..

sflint said...

This is an awesome card! Love it! Cant wait to gift it! lol Excited about checking out the rest of your blog for more great cards. Thanks

Sonya said...

I have had your tutorial bookmarked and waiting to make it for that special image. I finally did this week for a blog hop and I linked to your tutorial so everyone could make one also! Thanks for the great idea and tutorial, www.appelquilling.blogspot.com to see it.

Miss Dutch Diva said...

A great card, much fun. going to try this out on my family! Thanks for tutorial and construction samples!

Anonymous said...

What brand cardstock do you use? I tried this for the first time yesterday (thanks to your awesome help/tutorial) and my cardstock was not up to par. I sandwiched a piece on the back of the card to help it out (front was already layered) but the flinger itself was a little flimsy even with the reinforcements in your tutorial.