Friday, January 16, 2009

Hummingbird Freebie

Hi everyone! Are you as happy as I am that Friday is here? I have taken the day off work today and made it my mission to go shopping for that dreaded dress and not come home until I find it! Please wish me luck! If I get back early enough I will be able to spend some of my day off stamping!

I finally tried my hand at coloring the free hummingbird available at squigglefly. I used my copic markers and I'm really pleased with how it turned out.




I used a coluzzle to cut around the bird and then I cut around the wings. I chalked a little for background color and then stamped the greeting in a teal color. The greeting is from Stampin Up's Sincere Salutation set. That set is one I have certainly used a lot!
I cut two larger circles in different shades of blue and attached the image to the circles off center a bit. There are dimensionals under the wings so they are popped up a bit. On the card base I embossed with a cuttlebug embossing folder. The folder is writing and the card had to be inserted sideways for the writing to be oriented correctly on the card. This meant I had to move the folder over and emboss a second time to get the entire front of the card embossed. If you are observant you will notice that I had the folder backwards on one side so the words are debossed on the right side. Ooops! I almost did a new card, but in the end I didn't think it was too bad looking as it was so I left it. Did you notice? If you did, did you think I did it on purpose? yeah, uh I meant to do that! LOL!
Well, enjoy your day and I'll see you tomorrow!

10 comments:

bumblebee creations said...

o I just love this one!! That bird is gorgeous, as is our card-and Holly NO ONE would have noticed if you hadn't told!! : ) Their too busy looking at that bird!! I have to go print a download I got a while ago and haven't had time to color yet- too

Sue at Stampndaly said...

Holly this is beautiful!!

Norine said...

this is just beautiful love the coloring on it
hugs
Norine

msfreida said...

These are my all-time favorite colors! I LOVE this image, and your magic touch brings it to life! I DID notice the embossing/debossing, but I thought to myself, "Now isn't that clever! She has 2 different panels in there!" It DOES look like you planned it that way! Cutting around the wing adds to the detail, and the yellow, sponged on the background...GORGEOUS! Holly, this one is one of my favorites!

Good luck finding a dress! The ones I've seen around here either look like your grandmother's or your daughter's! Surely wish I could sew!

Have an awesome weekend!
Hugs~

Anita said...

Beautiful card!

LaVerne said...

I would have never noticed-in fact, I had to look really close to see it! I love the color and the design.

Nora said...

I was just playing with this image too! GMTA! *LOL* I was leaning more toward green with ruby throat, but I like the blues that you used. Very nice!
TFS

Kat said...

Yes, I noticed, Holly. And no, I did not think you meant to do that on purr-pose. LOL
Lovely coloring!!!

Annasmama said...

No, I did not see that the writing was upside down on one side - and now, as I know it, it just looks perfect!
This is again a beautiful card!

Hugs, Renate

Pam in Ar. said...

I did notice the debossing but really in the grand scheme of life...who really cares?? It's called creativity, and one's isn't always the same as another's. Great card :~)