Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tutorial Time!

Hi everyone! I need to thank my friend Sherry for coming over and helping me with this tutorial. She agreed to be my model. Sherry would like you all to know that the night before these photos were shot she shelled about 10 pounds of pecans so her hands are not up to their usual model stature! LOL!
Seriously, we had fun doing these and after the photos were taken we colored and played. One thing I'd like to mention is that Sherry brought some squigglefly images she had printed out with her because she wanted to color them while she was here. Her ink smeared a little when she colored with the copics. I heat set it, and they still smeared a little. My printer ink does not do this if I heat set. So if any of you are experiencing this problem, we solved it by spraying the image with a fixative before coloring.
Okay, on with the tutorial! First I'll show you the card



Isn't she darling? This is one of the newest images at squigglefly and I just love it! I added tiny little jewels to her earrings. The words were printed out on the computer in a font called Huxtable. This is how I made the stand up scallop part in the fold.

Mark the fold line of your cardstock with a pencil line. I also marked the center of my die (Thank you Sherry for that tip!). Decide where you want your pop out to be and place your die on the line lining it up with the center of the die.




Place your C plate on top lining up the edge of the plate with the pencil line.




So you have your A Plate, B Plate, cardstock with die in place on top, and now your C Plate lined up on what will be the fold in your card. Run it through your cuttlebug.





This is what your card will look like when it comes through




Now score your card on the pencil line, avoiding the scallop part.




Erase your pencil line, and fold the card!



This could be done with any shape die; it doesn't have to be a circle! I hope you enjoyed the tutorial, and thanks for looking!

28 comments:

msfreida said...

This looks SO easy! Thank you for putting this in such detail form! The photos are AWESOME! I'm going to print it off and tape it above my bug and also put a copy in my "infamous" notebook so I won't miss a step. So excited! :)

This card is FABULOUS! When I saw the image on Squigglefly, I immediately thought of my DD when she was young...this is so her! I hope my coloring comes out as good as yours...fat chance! The jewels really make it "pop"! Thanks for the tip about the smearing. My "Holly's Handbook" is almost completely full with your helpful tips and tutorials...what a life-saver you are! ;) Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Big hugs~

Sherry from Sherwood, AR said...

The tutorial turned out great. It was so much fun to help you out. Also, thanks so much for the copics class.

Pam in Ar. said...

This is such a helpful tutorial Holly! And I don't think I can mess it up like I did that other one LOL...wait a minute, just give me a chance, and I can mess anything up :~) Will send oud an SOS if I need one. Thanks for sharing with us.....

I am a little jealous though....whenam I going to get a copics tutorial?? I think we should all bombard the lady that flies all over the country giving these certification classes for copic and have her come to Little Rock to give a class....I know I'd pay the money...How about it??

Danni said...

Such a cute card and a great tutorial!!

Barb said...

Very nifty tutorial... I love it! I've used the Coluzzle before to do circles, but I really like the look of the scallops! Thanks so much for sharing... I'll definitely be trying this.

Summerthyme Studio said...

What a great tutorial..........and and adorable card! Thanks for visiting my blog.........I am glad because it brought me to yours!

Have a great day!

Vicki

Anita said...

Wow! TFS! I love this image. I need to color the images I got. I see yours everyday and love how you color and make awesome sayings to go with the image.

Barbd said...

a very good tutorial..I cased your card and your method is definitely easier.
Thanks so much for the tip on smudging ink, I sure did have a problem .
Your new image is darling.....

watchlady said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial! And I love that card! I am definitely getting that image :)

Kat said...

I do not have a CB - but I do want to say I love your card. :-) And the earrings are the purrfect final touch.

Jackie (Sweetest Girls) said...

Thanks for the tutorial...your card looks fab!

Anjou Krelovich said...

Wow! What a great tutorial for a great idea. I love the card and will definitely be trying out this technique! Thank you so much!

Samantha said...

Omgosh, thanks for showing how to do this! Great tutorial

Annasmama said...

"Diva in training" - such a lovely idea!!! :-))
Thank you for that beautiful card an for the detailed explanation!
Hugs, Renate

Cheryl Walker said...

What a great idea!!! I love this card, and your coloring.the image is soooo cute!!! Thank you for sharing this I will have to try this out

Cheryl

IamDerby said...

Hi Holly, Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. :) I love your little diva card, very cute!

Molly B said...

That is so cool! I am going to have to try this. I always want to do just a partial cut but could never figure out how. Thanks Great coloring on the card to BTW. -Molly B

joey said...

Hi, your card is absoultely gorgeous, I love the image, the tutorial is brilliant! you have made it lok very easy I may give it a try thankyou. joey xxx

Susan said...

Great tutorial. Cute image.

Nora said...

What a great TUT! Thanks for sharing. Now I HAVE to start collecting those Nestabilities! *LOL*

Annie said...

thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a lovely comment. Yes, the Promarkers are similar to Copics but easier to find in the UK and less expensive than Copics! They are made by Letraset for the craft market (Tri is their art range very similar to Copic). I am still playing with them but actually prefer my Polychromos pencils or Distress inks! hugs, annie x

catt871 said...

Thanks for the tutorial!!! I'm going to have to try it tonight!!!! I love that card, the sentiment is soooo cute!!!!!

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Wonderful tutorial, and the result is fabulous! Love the card...sweet image!

Courtney Baker said...

Oh thanks for this tutorial. I'll have to try this out! Thank you!

Ann said...

Very cool tutorial--thanks! I love your adorable card, especially the awesome coloring! :D

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

What a very cool idea with the CB!!! :) Thanks so much for showing this and your card turned out so adorable!! ;)

superior said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nancy Ward said...

Hi!

Today I posted an entry on my blog with a link to this tutorial.

Would you let me know if that's OK?

Thanks,

Nancy Ward
http://paperfriendly.blogspot.com