Thursday, February 12, 2009

Another Catalog CASE

Good morning everyone! If you haven't yet commented on yesterday's card, you have until noon today to be in the running to win it!


QUESTIONS & ANSWERS

Yesterday both Crystal and Martha asked about the ink smearing when they use digital images. If you heat set your image after you print it, you shouldn't have any problems. I heat set really well and have been able to use copic markers, water based markers, colored pencils with odorless mineral spirits, and even water color. Now not all printer inks are alike, and a friend of mine was at my house one day with an image she had printed on her printer. She heat set it and was still having problems with it smearing. We sprayed her image with a light coat of a workable fixative and then she was able to proceed without any smearing. You don't have to run out and buy any sprayable fixative though if you don't already have some; just use a light coat of hair spray. You can also do this to seal your chalk! Please let me know if you have problems with your ink smearing after doing this!

Deb Wood asked me how I applied my chalk. I use some makeup songes, and I also use some little pom poms. I bought a bag of different sizes and I hold them with a pair of hemostats like doctors have. The little bitty ones are great for chalking in small areas, and they also make great little bunny tails! LOL! One thing I do that may surprise you though is that when I apply the chalk I don't worry too much about getting chalk on my colored image. I just rub the chalk over the whole thing and then erase the chalk off of the image. Just remember though that if you are going to erase and you've colored your image with colored pencils, you should spray your artwork before you apply the chalk so that you don't erase your colored pencil!
I love that you are asking these questions! Keep 'em coming!
Now I have a question for you. It's obvious that you like papercrafting and card making or else you wouldn't be here, so if you haven't tried using digital images yet tell me what's stopping you? Tell me what you're looking for in images or what you'd like to see offered in digital images.

So continuing my look through the new Stampin Up catalog I saw a card on page 22 that I liked. I took a look at the little flower in the Unfrogettable stamp set and thought it looked enough like the flower they used in the catalog, so I created this



What I'm most proud of is the large 8 petal flower I made with 8 circle punches. Didn't it turn out cute? I sponged around the edges to make the "petals" stand out more. The words are from a clear stamp set from Stampendous, and the little starburst flower pattern on the background is from DRS Designs. I was pleased with the way my little bow turned out too.
I've slowly been building up my blog candy and will have that up for you this weekend! I'll be back a little later today to announce the winner of yesterday's card. Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

CRYSTAL said...

Cute card and thanks for answering my question. I havent tried it yet, (usig the fixative, but I will today). Again great blog and very informative.

bumblebee creations said...

Love the card!!! Your flower is gorgeous-gonna have to try that one- circle punches-eh?!!
Since you are asking, I would love to see a cute little monkey! I have a bannana stamp that is just waiting for a monkey to go with it!!! heehee

Pam in Ar. said...

Thanks for all of your helpful hints Holly...you are such an inspiration to me :~)

joey said...

Hi, your card is fab, love the flower, I would never have thought of using punched circles to make one, gorgeous colours. joey.x

msfreida said...

Great card Holly! I love the idea of using the circle punches for the flower...very clever!

I thought about you last night! I printed one of my images out I know at least 6 times because I kept coloring over my lines with my copics! Drives me nuts when I do this! I thought to myself "I bet Holly can whip one of these babies out in just a couple of minutes"! My vision has become so bad...yeah,I know...age!:)

Hugs~

Anonymous said...

Holly - an answer - again - you are amazing. DUH - never thought of trying to heat set directly from the printer. You can bet I will be trying that this afternoon.
What digital stamps would I like to see - MORE of just about anything. With the economy in the tank - digital stamps will let me get more stamps - w/o spending a fortune. Hope all the digital stamp designers are listening. Thanks again Holly - you're the best.

Martie
marthamoser@sbcglobal.net

Annasmama said...

I just love your cards, that`s why I always come back. And it took quite a while before I recognized that the images are not stamped. ;-)))

Kristie said...

Another gorgeous card...I love CASEing from the SU catty...they have so many great designs! I love the idea of using circles to make a flower...you always come up with the cleverest ideas, that's why I keep coming back...LOL!

Kym's Crafty Cards said...

Holly, what a wonderful card. Thanks for the answers to a question I'd had. I'd been using some digital downloads but had to convert to using the pre-coloured ones as even with heat setting it smeared with Lyra watercolours. I shall have to try the hair spray and see how I get on. Thanks for this though - I feel like you were sitting there in my head listing to my thoughts!!! Kym xxx