Thursday, March 5, 2009

Birthday Cupcake

Hi everyone! I want to wish Mary (you know who you are!) a Happy Birthday today!
Also, before I get to today's card I wanted to address a few questions that I've received through comments and e mails.
Marianne asked me if there's a difference between the Copic markers and the Marvy Markers. I don't believe the Marvy markers are alcohol based like the Copic markers are, so that alone is a big difference. The Prisma markers and the Tria markers are alcohol based like the Copic markers, but they do not have replaceable tips or the capability of being re-filled. I suggest you go to Wal Mart or a Walgreen's store and buy a set of Bic Markits. They are relatively inexpensive, and they are alcohol based. Play around with them, and if you like the results you get with them, then Copic markers might be for you!

Tracey and Kristie both asked who makes the designer paper I used on yesterday's card. That paper is from DCWV and it's a little package called The Glitter Mat Stack. There are 60 sheets in a pack, with 4 sheets each of different designs.

Rhonda asked me how I color and don't leave streaks. Streaks is why I never used to use markers when I colored. The copic markers just don't leave the streaks like other markers I've tried, but you do have to use enough ink to cover what you're coloring. I usually use about three different shades of a color when I color. I start out with the lightest shade and add a little darker around the edges and the darkest in the deep shadowed areas. Then I go over the whole thing again with the lightest color. This last step helps to blend the darker and lighter shades and also leaves no streaks!

Rhonda also surprised me with an award!



Isn't this a cute one? Thank you so much Rhonda! Now to pass it on. You're supposed to give it to ten blogs that make you smile. I wanted to find some new blogs (new to me anyway), and found these ten gems to pass on to you. Each one of these has something on their blog guaranteed to make you smile!

1. Kim
2. Mary
3. Heidi
4. Megan
5. Rebekka
6. Ginny
7. Elizabeth
8. Joy
9. Cindy
10. Pat

Okay, here's today card



I think this image is from Whipper Snapper. It's one someone sent to me. I colored with copic markers and added stickles to the cupcake sprinkles. The little round birthday sentiment is from Stampin Up. A very simple card, but it's cute and happy! The mouse looks like he doesn't know how to get past all the icing to the cake!
Speaking of cake, my daughter told me about a cake she made that is very low calorie but she says is really good. It's so simple to make too! Take a cake mix and mix in one can of a diet soda and bake according to the directions on the back of the cake mix box. She used chocolate with diet coke, but I want to try white cake with diet Sprite. She said it was good enough to eat without icing!
Whew! This was a long post today! Hope I didn't talk your ears off! Thanks for stopping by!

21 comments:

CRYSTAL said...

Love love love the colors and the image on this card.....too darn cute!!!

Norine said...

Congrats on the award
love the card I have that stamp its the cutest
Hugs
Norine

msfreida said...

I'm so glad you gave us your tips on avoiding streaks. No wonder mine would never come out right...I don't have enough colors! Good excuse to buy more! Thank you so much!

This card is precious! It seems cupcakes are the rage these days! Love the stickles!

Your daughter is so right about the cake recipe! I've used a golden cake mix with a diet sprite and talk about moist...oh man! :) This is delish!

Congrats on your award! How fun!:)

Hugs~

Deb Wood said...

Congrats on your award! Very sweet card! Love how you did the frosting!! Really cute!

Elizabeth said...

Ahh - thank you so much for the award - you have made my day!

Marianne said...

Thank you so much for answering my question! I'm going to go right out and get some of those Bic Markits to try out.I really love all your beautiful cards! Thanks for sharing!

bumblebee creations said...

HOLLY!!! You are so awesome! Yep just like msfreida said-I haven't been coloring enough, i had no idea I should be going over an area two or three times!! (let alone using different colors on top of each other!!) THANK YOU!! Hopefully it works with the few copics I have.

bumblebee creations said...

p>S> I love your cute card!!! That frosting looks good enough to eat!

Pam in Ar. said...

Love the sprinkles on your cupcake :~)
Thanks for the info. on coloring...you should do a video tutorial for us..that way we can SEE how it's done.
You deserve that award..you do a great job! Thanks Holly....

I think I'll go make that cake :~)

Sarah {SCS: Sairabee} said...

CUTE card! And congrats on the award, too!

Kristie said...

Thanks for letting me know about the paper...I have no idea where I'd find some down here, but I'll be looking :)
Love today's card too...that mouse is super cute. I love the pink & green combo...it's lovely and fresh, just right for the start of your Spring :)

my5bratz said...

see you're another DCVW fan..lol...I just brought a new stack of their papers yesterday...THE GREEN STACK...has some GORGEOUS papers in there and the cutest little critters

thanks for the award :0x

Mary said...

Holly, first of all THANK YOU so much for including my brand new itty, bitty blog in your 10!! I am SO honored! Secondly, I just LOVE your card! The 'sprinkles' on the cupcake are wonderful and your coloring is fabulous!!!

Thanks, again!!! You really made my day! :)

Joy said...

what a sweet card, and thank you! Always love knowing my blog makes people smile!

Kim said...

Thanks so much for the award!!!! Your cards are beautiful!!!!!

PatBowman said...

That image is so darned cute - and your coloring is perfect! Love that cake idea. Hmmmmm, going to have to try it!

Anita said...

Cute card!

Pat (mspfd) said...

Thank you so much for the award! I'm honored. Your card is just the sweetest -- love that image and all the great detailing and coloring. And it did make me smile!

Heidi said...

you are so sweet Holly- I LOVE that ladybug.

Becky in East Tennessee said...

ABSOLUTELY precious!!! Congrats on your award!

Debby said...

I adore that pink. Too cute. Is the pink on the cupcake a copic?