Saturday, March 14, 2009

dog card with tutorial

Good morning everyone! Okay, I have the video tutorial you all asked for; me coloring the naughty puppy image from squigglefly. Before we get to it though, let me tell you a few things I didn't mention on the video. Number one is that my image was heat set prior to coloring. Also, in the video I draw a wall line on the card and that too was heat set before I proceeded. I used liquid applique for the pillow stuffing instead of cotton like I did before, and I don't like the way it looks as well as the cotton. A friend of mine suggested I try the flower soft for stuffing and I may do that at some point. It was too long for Youtube so I had to upload it at Veoh. There is some adult only content on the Veoh site, so I suggest you watch the video from my blog if you don't want to be subjected to any of that.
I tried to set up a tripod so the camera wouldn't be shaky, but it just wouldn't work right and get in close enough so Chesney filmed it for me. I have to say it's kind of intimidating to sit down and color something you know so many people will be watching and judging, but I'd really love to hear honest feedback. If I make more videos in the future I'll try to figure out a way the tripod will work because I know the shaky camera can be bothersome. Anyway, here is the finished card and the video follows.
Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day!






Watch Coloring With Copics and Chalking A Background  |  View More Free Videos Online at Veoh.com

11 comments:

Norine said...

that is just too cute and thanks so much for the video it was great
Hugs
Norine

msfreida said...

Now I feel a little more confident with my copics! You did an awesome job on the video and the image was perfect for what I was having trouble with. Bottom line is...I just need more colors!

I liked your other stuffing better too. I think I'm going to try using some batting that I had left over from a Girl Scout project. I'll let you know how that works.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this! You are so accommodating, Holly! Give Chesney a hug too...she did good! :)

Hugs~

Pam in Ar. said...

You did such an awesome job Holly...you totally rock and I realized that I'm totally screwed!!!

In order to do the coloring, you have to know what colors to use..I would have never thought to use the yellow with brown to achieve the look I wanted...I'm a one marker person..give me a light, medium or dark and I'll color it LOL..I'm so inside the box. BUT...You can teach an old dog :~) new tricks and I WILL master this!

Thanks to your tutorial, I am going to practice and when I color (and chalk ) something I like..I will share it with you :~)

Thanks for doing the video, I know it took time to film and then edit, so let's hear a big shout out to Holly everyone....

bumblebee creations said...

WOW!!! I am totally impressed! I never knew how to get it looking shaded and natural and blended! Now I do! I also feel more confident now, so thank you so very much!!! I appreciate it ALOT!! Thank you both for taking all of the time! I tried to watch before I went to work, but only got half through before i had to scoot!

Kat said...

Wow, great tutorial, Holly!
Okay, I admit I would get a little dizzy when Chesney was moving the camera. LOL But she did great, especially for such a long video.

I don't have any Copic markers, but I never would have imagined your technique for blending - it's great! And it was nice to watch how you use your chalks. Oh - if you would have used the Inkssentials white opaque pen, would you have simply colored that highlighted area ... or would you then have to take an additional step?

Thanks for making the video! I agree that the cotton is a better look for the stuffing. :-)

TeresaW said...

Holly, that video was really good. Thank you so much for taking the time to think of the card and do the video. It was a little wobbly, but because we could see the essentials of close ups you kind of forget the wobbly bits because the content is so interesting.

I liked the way that you handled the chalk and then rubbed it out after. I have chalk but haven't used it much, but now I will. Thanks to you. I don't have markers yet, but my appetite is being whetted as I see how they work. It is a little different to how I deal with my water colouring.

I loved it. I think you are very clever. I'm going to watch it again now.

Anita said...

Cute card!

Emma said...

Fantastic tutorial...thanks Holly.
Emma x

Chesney said...

Next time we film something, let's not do it on a boat. :) lol, I guess I still had some caffeine in my system or something because I just could NOT steady that freaking camera.

Carole said...

Great tutorial. Thanks!

Sarah {SCS: Sairabee} said...

hehehe... Aaaand this is why my husband won't let me get a dog. ;)