Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I Challenged Laura!

Good morning everyone! Every Tuesday Laura over at Scrapnextras has a challenge to use something from stuff she's hoarding or stuff she's bought and hasn't used much. This week I challenged her to use some of those clear bubble stickers because I have several packages of those and just don't use them very often. Well, she accepted my challenge and made two of the prettiest cards!




To get the details of the cards she made, go visit her blog, and if you haven't been to her blog before you should pull up a chair and look through past posts and just soak it all in. She is one talented lady!
Anyway, as challenger I also have to step up to the plate and create something using the bubble stickers too! I have to say it's really hard to put my cards up right after showing you her beautiful creations! First up is this


(click picture to enlarge)

I used the Egg Head image from Squigglefly and colored it with copic markers. I added some crystal lacquer to his eyes and beak and of course flocked his body. I stamped the little flower from Stampin Up's Simply Said set four times and colored each one a different color to go with the colors of the dots in the designer paper. I placed a bubble sticker over each flower and glued them to the side of the card.
The sentiment was printed out on the computer in green and the font is called segoe Print. I added some sparkly blue rick rack along the side to go with the blue of the egg shell.
I thought this poor little chick looked so surprised to see his shell cracked apart!

Now the next card I made I really hate. I hate it so much I will probably throw it away, but I'm showing it to you anyway because I think some people can take my idea and do a better job with it.
I wantedto use a small square dome sticker I had to highlight a portion of an image kind of like the spotlight technique, only the dome sticker would spotlight the spotlight. So I chose this collage image from Stampin Up's Garden Collage set and only colored the portion the sticker would cover.




and a close up of the spotlighted part



Now I am the first to say that I cannot do collage type cards, so I don't know why I chose this image to try. I like the part with the sticker, but I don't like any of the rest of it. I don't know what to do with it, and I think the paper I used behind the image panel is all wrong.
Anyway, if you have something in your stash that you haven't used yet, why don't you challenge Laura? Have a great day and thanks so much for stopping by!

14 comments:

Stef H (GlitterbabeGreetings) said...

Laura's cards are very colorful - TFS!

Your cards are fantastic! I love that chick - and that saying is hysterical! Your collage card is by far better than anything I could ever do! It's stunning!

Great job!

ittybittyinkspotstoo said...

Lauras cards are great!

I love your little chick! I LOVE your collage card! I think its awesome how you did that! Don't throw it away!! You did great!
hugz
deb

Norine said...

love them all love the little chick
Hugs
Norine

Wanda H said...

Hi!! I haven't managed to get to your blog in awhile and it's always so much fun to see all your art!!!! I think your collage card is very nice and the only thing I would add to it is a word or sentiment, most likely towards the bottom right corner of the card.

Pam in Ar. said...

Well...um.....I'm sorry, but I cannot tell a lie...I agree with you, Holly,I don't like the second card you made either:(
The other card is great...you did a really good job :~)

msfreida said...

Well I love BOTH your cards! You have to look at art at different angles. Of course the chick card is precious...it's supposed to be...IT'S A CHICK for crying out loud!!!LOL The sentiment is so "HollY" (very clever)! :)

The other, is more on the edge...which I love. That technique is very artistically done with the colors that were spotlighted being repeated in the matting of the collage. Yes, it's different, but it's beautiful! I also love the crackle finish on the background...gives it so much depth. I agree with Wanda...ALL it needs is a sentiment and it's ready to go!

We have to step outside our box every once in a while in order to grow! ;)

Hugs~

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Holly, I just love the sentiment on the chick card...it's so funny! The card is so cute for Easter and your spotlighting card is fabulous and creative! Thanks for the challenge...this was fun!

Nora said...

I actually LIKE the collage card (right my artsy little alley)- DO NOT TOSS IT- & the little chick made me LOL. I think you stepped up to the plate & knocked it out of the park, GF! Off to check out Laura's blog...
~hugs~

Anita said...

What a neat challenge. Where did you get your bubble stickers? The egg card is so cute. The second card is different. I like to see something unique because it gives me ideas to go beyond my norm.

Anonymous said...

I really like the collage card....you went out of your comfort zone and did it very well! This chick is adorable too

Kat said...

Love those bubbles!

As for your collage card, I think you could add some very pale chalked yellow on the image. I know it is a Spotlight card, but very pale yellow would add just a little to the collage image without taking your eyes away from the section in the spotlight.

bumblebee creations said...

I agree with Nora, DO NOT TOSS IT-I love it actually-I think it has a flair of elegance to it for sure!!! I like it even better cuz it is different! Love the egghead too! And you do seem to always come up with the very best sentiments to go with your cards!! Very clever you are!!

Martha said...

so so cute!
i love it.

Emma said...

Both gorgeous cards by you Holly...love the chick and your collage card.
Gorgeous cards from Laura too.
Emma x