Saturday, March 28, 2009

Spring Trees

A couple of weeks ago I took some pictures of the beautiful spring flowering trees in our neighborhood. I love seeing the beautiful trees and flowers, but Spring always puts me in a kind of bad mood because I know that summer isn't far behind it. I do not like summer. It's hot, it's humid, there are bugs everywhere and if that's not enough there are mosquitoes biting you every chance they get!
This spring I am trying really hard to just enjoy the season for what it has to offer and not worry about summer coming. Here are some of the trees I took pictures of.

A red bud and a bradford pear



a plum tree


beautiful row of bradford pear trees


These trees are what I was trying to re-create in my card today



(click to enlarge)


I stamped an image I had of a row of bare trees onto cardstock in a dark brown ink. The image I used is from Inkadinkadoo. Then I applied glue to the trees and sprinkled on some flower soft. I never seem to add enough, and I after the first attempt dried I added more. I chalked the sky and the ground.
the designer paper I used is from Stampin Up. The greeting is really a reminder to myself to not hold summer against spring.
I hope those of you who are experiencing spring right now enjoyed seeing a bit of our spring, and I hope those of you still in the midst of winter enjoy a glimpse of what's coming to you soon!

Before I go, can I ask a favor of you? The squigglefly blog has an informal poll about digital stamps. If you have the time, would you please click over and leave a comment telling them what you think? They truly want to make squigglefly what you'd like it to be and your answers can help make that happen. Thanks!
Have a great day and thanks for looking!

12 comments:

Stef H (GlitterbabeGreetings) said...

First... the pictures are fabulous
2d.... I love bradford pear trees
3rd... your card is gorgeous.
4th... I definitely need to get some flower soft!
5th.... totally awesome - all of it.
6th..... you're as great a photographer as a card maker!

Hugs,

Carole said...

Hi Holly
Your card is soooooo beautiful. Seeing spring pictures is great too. Here we are still in lot of snow. I have soft flower that I havn't tried yet. After seeing your card I have to take time to make cards. I have to slow down and sit!
Have a nice weekend!

ittybittyinkspotstoo said...

WOW your trees are so pretty!
And your card is awesome!! I just love that flower soft! Jot that down on the 'gotta get' list!
very pretty!
hugz
deb

CRYSTAL said...

WOW...all I can say is WOW!!! Great use of the flower soft... I don't have any, I really need to get some.. Bea-uuuu-tiful!!!

msfreida said...

Love your photos! Thanks for sharing with us! Yes, we in the south take this early burst of spring for granted when I hear that others are still blanketed with snow. My dogwood is in full bloom and is absolutely gorgeous, but it doesn't seem right for it to bloom before Easter. It has special meaning to me b/c of the legend my mother taught me as a child about the blossoms representing the cross that Jesus died on. So I'd rather it bloom on cue!

I feel the same way you do about summer. I think it's because we jump right into hot weather after only a very short spring! Come May, we're already hitting 90 degrees...and a sticky 90 degrees at that!

Your card is so exquisite...perfect sentiment too! Oh how I love that Flower Soft! It's right up there with the flock! ;) It's amazing how your card looks so much like one of your photos! AWESOME JOB!

Hugs~

Chris (catt871) said...

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!! I sure wish it was Spring here!! your card is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!

Pam in Ar. said...

Oh, Holly...I think this is one of the most beautiful cards you've made!! It is so different than anything else maybe that's it :~)

All of your cards are great..ok, maybe not that one last week LOL...but this one I guess has texture to it...so very pretty..I love it!!

bumblebee creations said...

WOW!!! I am in AWE of your card!!! I am loving the look you have accomplished!!! I love spring-but too hate summer!! We are s'posed to get lots of snow tomorrow though, so doubt I will be seeing any of the trees any time soon!

Kat said...

ooohhhh... ahhhh... Holly, I *love* your card -- uh, actually *more* than the real trees!! Beautiful!! [Don't get me wrong, tho. I thoroughly enjoyed the view of those trees in photos.]

Just this morning I was thinking "how beautiful my Prairiefire Crabapple tree is going to look this Spring" (just planted it last year). I know it technically is Spring, but no blooms around here yet - tho there's some budding going on. Here's wishing you a long & delightful Spring!

Mary said...

Springtime is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing your pictures! Now, you cards is FABULOUS!!!! You did a wonderful job recreating a spring scene!! I've gotta get me some Flower Soft. Thanks for enabling! ;)

huntla1 said...

Beautiful -- pictures, but especially the card! This may be the prettiest and best use of flower soft that I have seen. You have given me renewed hope. I have tons of the stuff and have yet to make a card that it really works on. Can't wait to give it a try again.

Debby said...

:-)

What Stef said.