Wednesday, April 29, 2009

And now for something completely different...

This will stay on top until May 1st- check out my sweet deal!

Hi everyone. I don't have a card to show you today. I think sometimes I just have to do things other than cards to keep my mojo from burning out. I'm not posting just to tell you no card today though!

There is a lot next door to our house and there is a large gum tree on the lot. The gum tree sheds these little round balls (appropriately called gum balls) all over the ground. These can be deadly when you walk on the lot because they roll under your feet!
Here's a gum ball




The other morning when I went to walk Riley I almost fell after rolling my foot on a gum ball and that's when I decided to show you what I used to do with these gum balls when my kids were little






LOL! Yes, I'd make big ol' hairy spiders out of them! Of course it was usually around Halloween and not in April! I'd tie some fishing line to the tops and hang them from trees, and some of them I'd stick in the screens on the windows. They're pretty creepy looking aren't they? You don't have to wait until Halloween; put one in the car seat of your spouse and it'll jump start their day! LOL!

Okay, tomorrow I'll be back with a card. Thanks for stopping by and have a terrific day!

15 comments:

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

That is one ugly spider. I hate spiders! Nah! It's fabulous - but I do hate spiders. I can just picture DH's face finding it on the seat of his car - bwwwahhhaaa!

Thanks for sharing. This was a pleasant change!

Hugs,

CRYSTAL said...

Too cute!!! I have a bag of them sitting in my living room now...Back in the 60's...LOL My g-mother used to glue them to styrofoam cones and make all kinds of pretties with them. Ahhh, sweet memories

Debbie said...

oh my gosh...does this bring back memories....we used to make all kinda stuff outta these sweet gum balls...they are cool painted white, splashed with glitter and add a bow, then hang on mini Christmas trees...oh gosh...I may have to make one of those this year...thanks for sharing that...

Carole RB said...

Hi Holly

Cute spider. I've never seen a gum ball but your spider is lovely!

Have a nice day

ittybittyinkspotstoo said...

OMG I love it!! I use to put them in a bag with some smelly oil and then put them in a bowl! Forgot all about them!! I love the spiders!!! SOOO CUTE!
hugz
deb

Becky said...

I love this spider, how did you do those eyes? They are so cool.

Chris (catt871) said...

OMG Holly! THAT is hilarious!!!! I could see how that could cause a sprained ankle...youch!!!!!

Pam in Ar. said...

It sounds like two of your readers have never had the pleasure of seeing these gum balls in person. Maybe you should bag some up and send them to them LOL

We used to have this sweet gum tree in our backyard years back. It was huge!!!

We added on to our house and decided to cut the sucker down because we'd heard that their roots could do major damage to a foundation.

About 7 years ago, my husband started another tree from a seed he'd found, he nurtured that thing, talked baby talk to it, told it how big and strong it was getting...He planted it in the back so we'd eventually have shade again. That thing shot up and is big and strong now.....we had our first gum ball form this year!!

yep...so much for the foundation...that sucker is thriving :~)

bumblebee creations said...

WOW!!! Gum ball tree?!!! That is so cool looking!!! Just love those googgly eyes!

KellyRae said...

those are so cute and if one had shown up on MY front seat, you could have probably heard me 'eek' into the next county! um...did you draw eyelashes on those little google eyes?

Anita said...

What a great idea!

Martha said...

lol, so so cute, such cute memories your kids will have of halloween ;)

Leslie Miller said...

Gosh, they look like you sure wouldn't want to step on them barefoot! They're absolutely perfect and so fun and cute as spiders!

Nicole said...

Hi Holly. What a cute idea! Gotta give this a try with my kiddo's. I got the card that you sent! You are a doll, thank you so much for the support! It means so much to me!

Also, I wanted to tell you CONGRATS and welcome to the Inky Impressions DT! BIG HUGS! Nicole

Kat said...

Yikes! I'd never seen a gumball before -- nor a gum tree, for that matter. You sure do know how to use them creatively. Love those wiggly eyes with the eyelashes!