Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Nature's Watercolor

This will stay on top until May 1st- check out my sweet deal!

Are you ready to have a little fun with your cuttlebug today? I really wanted to show you this with a video tutorial, but I just haven't had anyone over here to help film while I've had time to do it, so you will have to settle with a photo tutorial instead.

With spring already here and coming to a lot of you soon I'll think you'll have fun with this. I gathered up some fresh blooms off of my violets and some money plant growing in my garden.

Cut two pieces of watercolor paper and arrange your petals on one of the pieces.



Once you are satisfied with the arrangement, lay the other piece of watercolor paper on top of the flowers. Place this "sandwich" on a B plate for the cuttlebug and place a second B plate on top. Run it through your cuttlebug.
When it comes out, peel the two pieces apart and you have this



Lightly brush away the flower petals and you have two pieces of nature's watercolor!



I stamped some stems, but you can also just use a colored pencil to add stems. Then I stamped a spring haiku from Penny Black and created this card.


(click to enlarge)

I used a corner punch on the corners and wrapped some tinsel thread around it to create a border. You get two cards from one pressing! It's really a fun and easy thing to do. Just pinch off petals if you are using flowers that have a thick base or you'll get a mess. Violets and pansies are great for this technique! I hope you'll give it a try, and share your creations!

Have a great day, and thanks for looking!

15 comments:

bumblebee creations said...

How do you do it??? I would have not EVER thought to do this!!!! You are one smart cookie Holly!!! Did I say yet that I LOVE this card? We have nothing blooming here yet-but will definately remember to try this one!! I have lots of Lavender-wonder if it would work with that?!!Hmmm.... the possibilities!

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

OK. Do you take creative vitamins? This is like soooooo WOW! Will it work with crabgrass? That's about all I have in my yard. No flowers.... well I do have a hyacinth bush but no blooms yet! You sure it won't work with crabgrass?????

This is GORGEOUS! Thanks sooo much for sharing it and I can't wait to try something like this!

Hugs,

LaVerne said...

What a great idea! I can't wait for the rain to stop so I can go get some violets and try this.

Carole said...

Hi Holly
You are a genious! I love your idea. Really nice card and in bonus another way of using the cuttlebug!

Martha said...

oh wow, that is amazing, love it.

CRYSTAL said...

How cool is that??? That is suh---weeet!!! I will have to try that one day!!! Gorgeous!!!!

Kat said...

This is so purrty.
But I do not have a CB.

watchlady said...

Oh My gosh Holly-- I love it! I can't wait to try that out! Did you dream this up or see the idea somewhere-- how beautiful! thanks for sharing!

lindal said...

This is fantastic. That is all I can say Fantastic! I can't wait until our spring flowers start coming. I might try to use my african violets. Their base might be to thick. How did you ever come up with this idea?

Maria Matter said...

How cool is that?!
Your card is absolutely lovely!
Well done, thanks for sharing!
Blessings, Maria

Anonymous said...

Hi Holly,
That is such a cool idea - I can't wait until spring when I'll have some cute little flowers like that to use myself - actually I just can't wait until spring. We just didn't have any summer at all this year - it was just dismal and autumn is not great this year either. Have a great day.
Hugs, Anne. dinkuminkum at yahoo dot co dot nz

msfreida said...

WOW! THIS IS SO COOL!!! My azaleas are about to pop open...wonder if they'd work! Oh, I'll just have to get outside and explore...if I can pick through the weeds! Thanks for passing this on!

Hugs~

Debby said...

Always such a clever girl. I bet some big juicy pieces of grass would be cool. Hmmmm. Love the overall card. Very pretty.

Chris (catt871) said...

THIS is GORGEOUS!!!! WOW.....awesome!!! We have nothing blooming yet, so maybe in a few weeks I can try this!!!!

Ellis said...

Great technique, thanks for sharing it! =)
I'll try it as soon as I have some flowers at home! =)

Hugs, Elenor