Friday, April 10, 2009

You Quack Me Up!

Am I ever glad it's Friday. Yesterday was a day from H E double hockey sticks! It all started when my boss decided he wanted to get a laptop. He asked me about doing the wireless thing. I told him I didn't know anything about that, but I'd ask my daughter who is computer savvy and see what she says. So I ask and she tells me "It's a piece of cake". Note to self - cake does not mean the same thing in her book as mine! It's been nothing but a headache and it's still not over. When I left work yesterday instead of one working computer that I know how to use just fine, I've got a computer that won't connect to the internet and a laptop that is frozen on a screen telling me it's working on finding a network address. So, that will all be waiting on me when I go back to work this morning. Not exactly the makings of a great day huh?

Anyway, when I got home from work yesterday I had some wonderful happy mail waiting on me! Rhonda sent me a darling Easter card along with a little matchbox containing doggy treats for Riley, and she sent me the Manhattan Flower Folder I've been wanting to get! That one piece of mail from such a sweet gal just erased my horrible day! Thank you Rhonda!

Then I was in a good enough mood to make a silly card.


(click to enlarge)

I combined the two ducks Jacob and Charlie from Squigglefly. The way that one has his wings flapped up just looks like he's surprised by the raspberry being blown at him by the other duck! They look like they're having a blast in the rain don't they?
I colored them with copic markers and then chalked the background. I used a little grass stamp from Art Impressions on the ground and then stamped the falling rain with a stamp from Rubber Stampede. I once used this rain stamp on a card that had a mad looking cat sitting outside in the rain looking through a window. I didn't realize until later that the rain was falling UP! I sent it to a friend of mine who is also a rubber stamper and she still reminds me of that from time to time! Yes, Gail I stamped the rain right side up (or down?) this time!

I punched out some photo corners and then pierced holes in them, and I cut my greeting out with the labels nestabilites and then sponged some red ink on it.

Exciting things are happening at Squigglefly that I want to tell you about. They are planning on a digital image blowout in May. They will release a new image every single day during the month of May, but you can pre-order all 31 images for $30.00; that's less than 99 cents an image! I can't wait! You can read more about it on the squigglefly blog!
I wanted to address a couple of questions before I go. Christina asked me if I sealed my chalk, and I do usually spray with a matte workable fixative after all of my coloring is finished. You can also spray with an aerosol hair spray, but I've heard that over time it will yellow.
Debby asked what kind of photo program I use. I use Adobe elements, but I do want to stress that you don't have to have a special photo program to make changes to the digital images. When I erased the pony tail from the Little Librarian girl in this card it could be done in the paint program that comes already loaded on most computers. I don't want you thinking you have to go out and get some fancy schmancy photo program to do that! Just remember that once you've made changes to an image, save it as a new file name so you don't change your original image.

Also before I go I want to wish my sister Jan a Happy Birthday!
I hope you all have a great day and thank you so much for stopping by my blog!

13 comments:

CRYSTAL said...

That is just too adorable.... and funny story about the rain falling "up"... that sounds like somehting that i would do ...tee hee

ittybittyinkspotstoo said...

WOW tooo cute!! I love it and the sentiment!!
Have a GOOD/Better day!!
hugz
deb

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

Holly, my friend, YOU "quack me up!" I love (though I apologize for laughing at your lousy day) your story. Especially the definition of cake part. I can soooo relate! Sure hope today is by far better than yesterday!

Love, love, love the card.... and yes, they "quack me up" too! Very clever and very cute!

Hugs,

Pam in Ar. said...

I'll bet those little ducks were "quacking" it up last night...that was some storm we had!! Love the little duckies and the special at Squigglefly is super...can't wait to see more images :~)

Hope your Friday is better than your Thursday...I'm with Stef H though, I got a chuckle out of it :~)

Anita said...

Sorry to hear about your bad day. I think you need your daughter to come fix everything. Cute card!

bumblebee creations said...

OHHHH OHHHHHHH OHHHHHHHH OHHHHH HOLLY!!!!!!!!!!!! This is absolutely the cutest card I have ever seen!!!!!! I just really love these little guys!!!! There is jsut something about them! HOW cute to make them together!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!

Martha said...

how cute, great card.

Kristie said...

You should send this to yourself from me...because your sentiments and card almost always *quack* me up...LOL!
Another fun card Holly :)

renee said...

awww sorry about your bad day!! But man is this card ever cute!! love love love it!! Happy Easter! Blessings. Renee

Chris (catt871) said...

What a great card! I can just hear the pththththt from Jacob!! LOL

Debby said...

This is the greatest! :-)

Kat said...

Wireless laptop: Holly, purrhaps you should have just thought of it as similar to a "card CHALLENGE" since you like those. LOL

Love the duckies -- sure makes me smile. Oh! And speaking of 'having fun in the rain', that's purrcisely what my dd & her 2 kids did yesterday when they went to an Easter egg hunt. It POURED BIG DROPS, she said - during the hunt ... and then quit. They were drenched - and grinning from ear to ear. LOL

msfreida said...

How cute! These lil fellows are so cute together! Another 2 I NEED! Your piercings are so precise...do you just have good eyes???

Hugs~