Monday, May 4, 2009

Mother's Day, Challenge Cards, and Weird Things

Hi everyone! Mother's Day is right around the corner and I have the perfect image for a mother of young children! If you pre-ordered the squigglefly one a day in May you know I'm talking about today's new release Joys Of Motherhood. Here's the card I made with it


(click to enlarge)

I love the shy expression on the face of the little girl on the left! The words are computer generated and the font I used is called Monika Italic. If you like it you can get it free here

The right side of the card is embossed with one of the provocraft embossing borders. I colored the image with copics and chalked a little around it. I think this turned out really cute and I have the perfect young mother to send it to! Of course, it doesn't have to just be for mother's day. I think this would be a great image for someone taking care of your child or a baby sitter could use it to the promote her services to parents.

Now, you may remember the card I made with Miss Priss here. Well I told you then that I was thinking about making her imagine herself as the crazy cat lady and I did that yesterday afternoon for the featured stamper challenge at splitcoast stampers. In fact, I did two cards for the challenge! Here's the one with Miss Priss



(click to enlarge)

Isn't it just too funny? I love being able to shrink down images to fit what you want! I hand drew the dream bubble. The image is colored with copic markers and chalked a bit. LaVerne made a really cute card with the Miss Priss image and she tweaked it so she has long hair. If you go join squigglefly's yahoo group you can see all the wonderful creations people are making with these images. So many wonderful ideas!

here's the other card I made for the featured stamper challenge


(click to enlarge)

This one uses stamps from one of the little clear dollar Studio G sets from Michael's. I colored with copics. I followed her layout exactly and just changed the papers and the images. Her card had three chocolate truffles!

Now I have a question for any gardeners out there. Yesterday I was deadheading the iris in my yard and one of the plants had these weird large bulbs growing out of the place a bloom had been. Here's a picture of them



I put my hand beind them so you could see how big they are. What are these things? Does anyone know? I know I haven't seen them on these iris plants before!

Well, I hope you all have a great start to the week and thank you so much for stopping by here!

10 comments:

CRYSTAL said...

Love the cards.... You are truly the queen of sentiments.... That iris thingie is too weird looking but I have no idea what it is.

But if you go here and post your pic, then someone will comment back to help you out.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/namegal/

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

The mother's day card is wonderful. Now I'm really sorry I didn't pre-order! And I just love the cat lady card. You are way too funny.

As for the plant, call Steven Spielberg. Looks like he can make a movie around it - bwwaahhhaaa!

Let us know what you find out. I'm definitely NOT a gardner but it looks like a bloom to me! As long as it doesn't have tentacles and antennae you'll be fine!

Hugs,

Chesney said...

Hey, did you know Squigglefly offers FREE speech and thought bubbles to use in your projects? Download them here:

http://squigglefly.com/freebies.php

Lol, I just happened to notice you penned in the thought bubble on your own and thought it was funny. since we make the bubbles for free. :) I also found it funny that that girl maintained her red hair even at, what, age 80 she looks? Haha!

bumblebee creations said...

Hi Holly! I don't know what that is-but if it is going to bloom-you better make room for it!!
Your cards are gorgeous as always! and I just love that new one we got today!!!! Specially cuz I have four kiddos! I may have already said this-but I am so darn glad I pre-ordered!!!!

Kat said...

Great cards. The Miss Priss/Crazy Cat Lady one is so purrrfect!!!

As for the iris growth, purrhaps those are *huge* seed pockets? Golly! There you are deadheading irises, and my iris leaves aren't even full height yet. But that's northern Idaho fur ya. Beautiful day today, gonna be about 60ยบ -- but highs in the mid-50's the rest of the week. Goofy!

Anita said...

Beautiful cards!

Chrissie said...

Love your cards very funny .And as for your Iris yes it is a seed pod but a distorted one had you left it it would have developed int seeds but taken all the goodness out of your bulb I just love Iris and grow heaps of them but as it's winter or coming into winter ours are just producing the new babies

Kristie said...

That Mother's day image looks like my sister...she has four little ones!
Love, love, love the cat lady card...absolutely PERFECT (or should that be purrfect...LOL)

Pam in Ar. said...

You always do such a great job Holly :~) Thanks!

Becky said...

These are wonderful cards, and the sentiments are great.