Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Scaredy Cat

Good morning everyone. It was so nice of all of you to wish Chesney a happy birthday yesterday!
I have to be honest with you here and tell you a little secret about myself. I have a terrible time coloring eyes! I'm never sure what part to color and what part to leave white. I was always calling Chesney up and asking her until finally she drew an eye and colored the colored parts so I have it saved to my computer and I can look at it when in question. I know, it sounds silly even to me and I'm sure she's laughing at me right now.
But the image they released today; Scaredy Cat threw me for a loop. The part that is usually black is white, and I colored in some of the white part below the black leaving little white spots, but the eye still didn't look right. So, I colored in the white in the center and it looked weird to me. I finally just colored it all in black leaving some colored below with little white spots. I am not sure this is right, but it looks okay to me!
Now with all of that build up, here's my card




(click to enlarge)

This card also qualifies for the Squigglefly Challenge #3 which is to use bordering blue, chocolate chip, and pretty in pink. I didn't have the bordering blue so I improvised with brocade blue instead.
I colored the cat with copics and here are the colors I used.



I'm getting pretty good at remembering to take pictures of the colors! The sky is chalked and the designer paper is some more of the stuff they had on clearance at Hobby Lobby. I tied a little bow and then tied a square pink button to the center of that.
At the last minute I decided to add some crystal lacquer to the eyes. If I've done the eyes wrong I'm only drawing more attention to them! LOL!
This cat looks like he's tried to jump over the fence and couldn't quite make it and now he doesn't know what to do! Or maybe he thought the grass was greener on the other side of the fence and he jumped up only to see it wasn't. What's your take on the image?
I hope you all have a wonderful day and find a little time to create something. Thanks for looking!

17 comments:

bumblebee creations said...

Holly-I think your eyes look gorgeous! Love this image-so cute!! Hope Riley is better-and that Chesney had a wonderful birthday!!! TFS!!

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

He doesn't look that scary to me! He is a cutie tho' and you colored him beautifully! And his eyes.... those eyes..... Can we do a song here????? Where's Crystal when you need her?

Hugs,

Kim said...

LOVE this!!!
you did a great job on the eyes!!

CRYSTAL said...

He reminds me of the cat from Shrek...those forlorn loving eyes....

Trying to get you to give him a treat!!! bwahahahahahaha
Great coloring and card!!!!

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

OMG!! Holly, look at those eyes!! That was it...he stole my heart!! What an adorable card!! TFS! HUGS :)

Nora said...

Looks like he's asking the neighbor over the fence for a bit of catnip! *LOL* I went to the shop & looked at the original image - I think they were going for Anime' eyes, but didn't leave you anything to color in. I like how you solved the issue.
~hugs~

Pam in Ar. said...

I think he (she?) looks like it's trying to see what's going on in the next yard...they must be having a party! It's the smell of left over fish bones in the trash that's attracting him LOL...

The eyes are great, before I finished reading your blog, I thought to myself they looked like they had a glaze or something put on them...then I saw you'd put the finish on them and the little white line in the left corner just set it off. Great job Holly :~)

Kat said...

First of all, I love the button 'n bow!!

Now to the cat's eyes. I looked at the Squigglefly image. The way you colored it is adorable -- it gives kitty *huge* pupils, which is fine 'cuz (s)he obviously is in a dilemma on that fence. LOL However, normally the part of the digital image that shows white (center top) would be kitty's pupil. The rest of it would be green (or whatever color eyes you choose). I'm not sure, tho, about the white line & dots at the bottom area. I've not seen 'highlites' circling the bottom like that. Usually I see one dot of highlite near the top of the eye and toward one side. I'd have to play around with it but I think I'd make the white 'circle line' a lighter green. If you look closely at your kitty's eyes, you will see (s)he actually has two tones of color in them. Then, I'm not sure -- but I think it'd look odd to have those two lower dots be white highlites. Good luck with this -- and it will be interesting to hear what Chesney has to say about it. :-)

msfreida said...

This is so "Batman", our black cat! He always has this startled look in his eyes when you catch him doing something he's not supposed to...like a kid! :) I think you did an awesome job on the card! I can't ever remember to use a button as you did! I think this adds just the perfect touch!

Hugs~

Becky said...

Holly the eyes are awesome, it looks to me he wants some one to take him home :).

Chesney said...

He looks like he's thinking, "I am not amewsed."

You actually colored his eyes the way I was envisioning it, so his pupils were extremely dilated. There's also another way you could do it, if you wanted, which I quickly illustrated here:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa22/bulanova/junie.jpg

MANDEE said...

I think you did an amazing job as always, he looks so scared that I just want to pick him up and hug him!

Clausewitz said...

Oi. Parabéns por seu excelente blog. Gostaria de lhe convidar para visitar meu blog e conhecer alguma coisa sobre o Brasil e nossa luta contra o comunismo. Abração

Jaspere said...

This is so adorable.

Tonya said...

This is so cute!!

Kristie said...

I think it looks like the kitty is peeking over the fence just to see what's on the other side...curiosity and all that :)
I am not good at eyes myself, but I think you've done a great job with the kitty...just makes him/her look cute!

Lora said...

You did a great job! Love the eyes.
I am terrible at colouring eyes, I normally try to avoid images that I have to colour the eyes on lol
Lora x