Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Sympathy Card

If you are here for my blogaversary candy, please go here. But come back! :)

There's a big vote going on at Squigglefly's blog! Plus there's a challenge taking place and you can check out all the cards for the challenge on Mr. Linky!

My sister asked me to make a sympathy card for a friend of hers who had lost her daughter. Sympathy cards are hard to make when you're making it for someone you know, and I really wanted this one to be special. I wanted my sister to like it too since it was coming from her.
One of the first things I seem to pull out when I think sympathy cards is vellum. I also have a stamp with a verse that I think is such a good one for this type of card. Both the flowers and the verse stamps used are from Penny Black.


(click to enlarge)

I colored my flowers directly on to the rubber with watercolor crayons. Then I misted some watercolor paper and I misted my stamp and stamped them on letting the water do all my blending for me!
I stamped the verse on to vellum paper and then clear embossed it.
I used an oval nestability to cut out a shape in some ivory cardstock and then ran the piece through the cuttlebug with a provocraft embossing folder called textile.
I distressed the edges a bit and also ran my ink sponge over the embossed areas to bring it out more.
I attached the vellum to the back of the embossed piece and then attached that to the watercolored piece. All of this was then mounted on a card of shimmer ivory cardstock. I debated adding ribbon, but I thought it would look too busy.
Now that we are all finished with my craft room painting my husband has decided to remove the wallpaper from another room and paint it. So, I spent a lot of my evening last night stripping wallpaper! I need a craft fix today!
Hope you have a wonderful day, and thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

Becky said...

This turned out beautiful Holly, I am sure your sister will be pleased.

CRYSTAL said...

Beautiful card...Holly!!! I need to make one too. My sisters hubby was sent home under hospice care and now its just a matter of time. I have been putting it off, but I need to go ahead and make one, 'cause I know I won't be able to when something happens...
Your card has inspired me to go ahead and do that today....

msfreida said...

This is gorgeous Holly! I love the water-colored look and the softness of the vellum completes it. I've never tried the crayons, but it's obvious something I need! :) I know your sister will be proud of the way it turned out.

Hugs~

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

this is gorgeous. funny how sympathy cards are always flowers! i guess because they make the prettiest cards. just gorgeous.

hugs,

bumblebee creations said...

I love your card Holly! I love the soft colors of the flowers and that saying is just so perfect! Have a great day!

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

So soft and pretty Holly!! Love the oval cut out!! :) Thanks so much for stopping by to visit me...I sure do appreciate all of your time!!

Maria Matter said...

Holly, this is so beautiful! The misting did a wonderful blending job, clever you! The vellum and embossing are perfect too!
Your sister, I'm sure will be please with this beauty!
Blessings, Maria

Debby said...

Vellum is perfect and this is gorgeous! I love the look of the watercolor and really don't use them enough. They are awesome crayons.

lindal said...

This is a beautiful card. I love everything about it. You did a wonderful job.
A tip for removing wallpaper. Spray the wall with Downy and warm water. It really works great and the room smells wonderful.

Pam in Ar. said...

I always forget my water color crayons...glad someone remembers them :~)

It is a beautiful card!

Kat said...

This card is absolutely beautiful, Holly.

Nora said...

So soft...it looks like a much-needed hug would feel. Perfect for a sympathy card.
~hugs~