Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Tale Of Two Tildas

Good morning everyone! Yesterday was such a lazy day for me. I woke up, but felt sleepy almost all day long. Finally around 4:00 in the afternoon I laid down with our cat and slept for about an hour. That is just not like me to do that, but I woke up feeling much more refreshed! I did manage to make a couple of birthday cards before taking my nap though.

On a rubber stamping list I belong to someone asked what copic markers were and a whole discussion about them arose. This spurred me into making two cards as a comparison. See, before copic markers came into my crafting life I did most of my coloring with colored pencils and blended them with odorless mineral spirits. So, I wanted to color one image with colored pencils and one with the copic markers. I used the exact same image and colored with colors that are pretty much the same, and even kept the layout and the designer papers the same. Here is the card I made with the colored pencils




(click to enlarge)

and here is the one I made with copic markers


(click to enlarge)

Most of the people said they liked the copic colored one better. I do too. I enjoyed getting my pencils out again and working with them, but they do take a lot more work and time than using the copics. I was particularly pleased with the transparancy of my balloons.
You know of course the girl image is from Magnolia and the words are from a Clearly Wordsworth set I have. Here are the copic colors I used on the second card.



Here's a picture of the two cards side by side for a better comparison.




If I had had another of the same image I would have watercolored one. I might have to do a copics vs watercolor comparison sometime! I have a busy day ahead of me tomorrow. My sister is having hip replacement surgery in the morning and I have to have her at the hospital at 6 am. After that I have to go to her house and get her dog to the boarders, and later in the afternoon I have my dentist appointment for that infected tooth. Plus, it is my husband's birthday tomorrow! Such a full day tomorrow means a lot to do today while I have the chance!
I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday, and thanks for looking!

19 comments:

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

what? no squigglefly image???? tsk, tsk. i like the copics one much better. tho' the pencils are nice, it's way too pale for me.

pcp started a group called "copic buzz". it just started and she hopes to have all sorts of copic questions answered and some tutorials.

anyway, these are beautiful even for your effort. and happy b-day to hubby.

hugs,

lindal said...

I like the copics better, but the pencils do give a different effect that is also very nice.
Good luck to your sister. I hope all goes well for her.

Carole RB said...

Hi Holly
You managed well both techniques. It's really interesting seeing both side by side. If Tilda's too pale withe colored pencils, I don't think it might be too pale for another image witch needs a more softer look.
Good luck for tomorrow, you won't rest much!

Pam in Ar. said...

WOW there's so much contrast!! I like the copic colored one...the colors are so bright! I never did get the hank of using the mineral spirits, I have the pencils but never really liked the look. Copics on the other hand are so cool...now if I could just get certified :~) Let's keep hounding her to come to Arkansas...

CRYSTAL said...

WOW...the differnce is obvious.... I might have to try copics one day... but until then i will still use my pencils.... love then image!!!!

bumblebee creations said...

Hi Holly! Good luck to your sister tomorrow and Happy birthday to your hubby!! Great cards-I to like the copics better, am afraid the smell of the mineral spirits would not set with me, so have never tried that! I do love my copics though-the few that I have!

Jaspere said...

Both cards are great but when you do have them side by side like that I think most people would choose the bright copic colored one. Thanks for leaving a comment on Alyssa's blog. She is so excited about the whole thing and wants to post more projects *LOL* I told her no more than one a day- she's hooked.

PatBowman said...

Holly - Thanks for this side-by-side comparison!! Sounds like you definitely will be busy tomorrow. What a full day - makes my head spin. I've had two hip replacement surgeries, so I know what you sister is facing. She's lucky to have you there with her!

Kat said...

Wow! You know what 'they' say: BOLD IS BEAUTIFUL! I just love the bold colors of the copics!

I'll be happy fur ya when your tooth is A-Okay! Happy birthday to your hub-bub. God bless all those involved in your sis's hip replacement. [Tell her she'll become a HIPpy now.] And may there be plenty of doggie spirits at the boarder's to keep her canine happy there.
Whew! Now I'm tired out just *thinking* of your day tomorrow. I'll be sure to take a Kat-nap later. *g*

msfreida said...

My name is Freida, and I'm a Copiholic! In fact, YOU are the one who first introduced them to me! I will be indebted to you forevahhh! :) The pencils do have their place...just depends on the look you're after.

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. I dread it for you! Tell Mr.Holly I wish him a happy birthday and I will keep your sister in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully the dentist visit will be easy and you will feel like celebrating getting through your hectic day! ;)

Hugs~

LaVerne said...

WOW! What a difference the copics make. I am going to join the group over on PCP and see if I can pick up some pointers.
Good luck tomorrow. Tell hubby Happy Birthday and I will keep your sis in my prayers.

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

They are both beautiful, but I do like the intensity of the Copic coloured Tilda! The colours and papers work so well togehter and they really make the bright colour of her skirt just pop!

Debby said...

Well I sure hope you enjoy your Sunday with such a busy day ahead of you tomorrow. I'm guessing you're not going to work tomorrow. Love the comparison of the pencils and copics. The copics are much more vibrant fer shure. The pencils are pretty though. I can't get the hang of the whole blending thing. Guess I just need to practice.

Becky said...

wow, you do have a busy day. I love the one with copics too, cant afford them but love them none the less, I own 3 :) :)

Nicole said...

I have to agree with the vast majority and say that I do LOVE the bold look of the copics. BUT.... I do also have a use for my pencils.

Good Luck at the dentist Holly. I also will be keeping your sister in my prayers! :( Tell Brock HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!! HUGS! Nicole :)

Janet said...

they are both sooooooooo pretty, but i agree i like the copics much better! I think pencils would be nice for something soft like flowers:)
hugs

Heather said...

So Cute!! I like them both, but your copics are easier!! On the tag is that a font? or your handwriting??

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

WOW!! What adorable Mag creations!! You've done such a gorgeous job with the coloring!! So fun!! Happy B-day to hubby!! ;)

Scrubbysue said...

These are so sweet! and that DP is perfect!!