Friday, July 31, 2009

Crude Scrapbooking

Happy Friday everyone! Today's post is a little different and I must apologize if this post bores you to tears. I was talking with someone the other day about card making and she's a scrapbooker. She asked me if I scrapbooked and I said "no, but if scrapbooking had been poplular when my kids were little they would have had awesome scrapbooks!" And that's true, I really think I would have gotten into it. However I am not about to go back through my old photos and make scrapbooks for them now! Watch out if I ever have grandchildren though! LOL!

Anyway, we talked a bit more and then I remembered some books I had made for my kids when they were little and they are kind of like scrapbooks so I dug them out to show her. She told me I should share them on my blog, and I almost didn't but then I thought why the heck not? There are some of you out there who have kids (or grandkids) now who might really enjoy books like this!

So, first a little background and then pictures! I made these books for each of my daughters when they were about two years old. I made them with family photos and wrote a "story" as if my child were talking about a day in their life. I used plastic canvas and yarn for the book covers, file folders from work for the pages, and hand wrote the words. I had the pages laminated (a friend who worked at an elementary school had access to a laminater and did it for me) to keep dirty fingers from messing them up. These books were not stored away to be looked at occasionally. They sat on the book shelf with all the other books my kids loved to have read to them!

Here are the covers (Ashley's book is on the left and Chesney's book on the right)



Going in birth order, here are the pages of Ashley's book

















It won't hurt my feelings if you've had enough and leave now, but here is Chesney's book















I put their names on the spine of the books



The pages were numbered to help them count when we read. Really this was a fun thing to make with them and they both enjoyed reading their own stories. I know it's not the kind of thing I usually share, but I hope you've enjoyed it and if you didn't get a few ideas maybe you at least got a laugh at my hair back then!

I truly hope you enjoy your day and thanks for looking!

20 comments:

Becky said...

What an awesome idea, and what wonderful memories for you and your children. I wish I did something like this.

watchlady said...

Holly-- I loved the books! What wonderful memories for your kids! Now, I wish I would've done something like that. Thanks for sharing!

msfreida said...

HOW PRECIOUS! Holly these are priceless! I have been scrapbooking long before I even thought about making cards and what you have here is better than any scrapbook one could make! I know the girls will treasure these forever!

MANDEE said...

This was so sweet of U to share, thats the kind of thing they and you will remember forever!

I'm Crystal said...

Awwwww how sweet....I love old pictures and going back to reminisce!!!!

Heather the Mooselover said...

Holly those keepsake books for your kids are fabulous. I'm sure they were well loved.

I made a book for my daughter that had laminated pages and pictures of her toys and characters and stuff she liked and a page each for colors, numbers, and letters. 6 years later my daughter still treasures her book that Mommy made for her.

Christina said...

Holly, this is absolutely wonderful! It gives you & your kids wonderful fond memories. And I love the covers!

bumblebee creations said...

WOW Holly you amaze me every time I visit your blog-which is pretty much daily!!! These will be cherished forever by your daughters! So much info on their growing up ages!!! Very awesome!

Scrubbysue said...

It's the beginning stages and a nice way to remember them. They will always be keepsakes! at least you took the initiative and did something with the pics instead of letting them sit around. I think they're great! have a nice wknd. :)

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a great idea!! I can see where your kids would love them!! My girls love going through albums!! What a treasured keepsake of memories! I love your books.

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

Oh wow!! Holly, I have to say that i just love this!! It brings back memories for me and I think your family will always treasure these!! At least you've done something and written things down with the pictures which is more than I can say...and I DO scrapbook!! :) Hope you have a lovely weekend friend!!

Niki said...

Great idea! Don't you love looking at the clothes and hairstyles "back then??"

Tracey said...

These are fabulous Holly! Thanks for sharing them. I am sure they are treasured by your kids! xx

Maria Matter said...

Holly, these are wonderful, thank you so much for sharing them!
Such a precious way to make some 'memories'! Your an awesome mom!!!!
Blessings, Maria

Carole RB said...

Hi Holly

This was an excellent idea. No wonder your children loved those books. You've worked hard to make them. It was brilliant to have them with their own stories!

Pam in Ar. said...

What a great way to document the early years :) I know your daughters will cherish them for a lifetime.....when the grandkids do arrive, you're gonna have so much fun :)

Shellys Crafts said...

The books are adorable. Its a terrific idea. It will be fun to look back. Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas. This is a really great one.

Debby said...

I think they are wonderful! You should see mine before I knew what creative memories was. Goodness they are horrific. Seriously though these are fabulous and what wonderful journaling and memories. Love this card. Gorgeous flower. Hope you are doing well. I'm Sorry I haven't visited in a while. I am having a hard time keeping up lately. Have a fab weekend.

♥Debby♥

Kat said...

Holly, these are great! What a marvelous book of memories you created for your girls. Great job! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Kristin said...

Holly, I know I don't post often, but I come here all the time still :-). These books are awesome (and right up my alley!). I read every page of both books and love that you did this for your girls!!