Friday, July 10, 2009

This Lion Won't Be Bobbled

Hi everyone and Happy Friday to you! I have a card to show you today that while I think it's cute, it didn't really turn out like I envisioned it. Have you ever seen cards that have something on them that is popped up on a little spring and whatever it is on the spring kind of bobbles like a bobble head? Well that's what I wanted to do. I tried several things; even the little springs inside ball point pens but nothing worked right.
Someone told me about this product called Pig Tails which is made by a company called Piggy Tales. I found some of the Pig Tails on e-bay and tried one for my card but the spring didn't really have any bounce to it.



I folded little strips of paper together to make my own spring thinking it wouldn't be as stiff, but it still didn't give me the bounce I wanted. So, if any of you know of a way to make what I'm talking about please let me know! Now, here is the card I made


(click to enlarge)
I used the Blinky Lion from Squigglefly and colored him with copic markers. I freehand cut the oval mat around him to look like a mane, but I think I failed at that too. It looks more like a weird sun! Here are the copic colors I used for the lion



Here's a close up of my paper spring



The "fur" on his main is from some yarn I have that has lots of different little balls of fur on it.



I pulled some of the yellow balls off and pulled them out a little and glued them to the mane.



and here he is closer just so you can see his mane better



I sent this card to Crystal since she's the one who drew this cute lion, and even though it didn't turn out like I envisioned I hope she likes it! Wouldn't it have been cute though if his head bobbled?

Well, we are going to pick out carpet for our bedroom after work today. I'm not looking forward to moving all of our furniture out this weekend, but I do know it will be nice to have new carpet! Enjoy your day, and thanks for looking!

13 comments:

Lauri said...

oh what a cute lion!!! I know what you mean about the springy thing...I have had that idea too, but have not had any luck finding anything to use..but I will let you know if I do find anything!

Maria Matter said...

Hi Holly!
This is adorable! love the embossing and that mane, great idea to use the yarn! I can't help you with the springy part...I come here to learn things!! lol I'm sure Crystal loved it!

Have fun re-doing your bedroom! It's always fun to take everything out of a room and 'start over'! Enjoy!
Blessings, Maria

Pam in Ar. said...

I think you did a great job on the mat for the lion....love the mane! You always do such a great job :~)

Happy carpet hunting!!!

I'm Crystal said...

Holly.....WOW. I love the card, I just received it in the mail today!!!!! That was the sweetest thing. Nice try on the bobble head thing. To bad it didnt work. But I love it just the same.
Thanks so much!!!!
HUGS!!!!

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

i know exactly what you're saying. i tried that too for a halloween card and it never worked for me either! but this lion is fabulous and what a head of hair! i love it and i'm sure crystal will too.

ooooo new carpeting!!!!!

hugs,

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

Oh holy cow girl!! You are doing it again, aren't you?!!! What really fab products you're showing us...and I love the "bobbing" head!!! SO DARN CUTE and creative!! HUGS

bumblebee creations said...

O Holly, this is totally a super card!! I love how it turned out, and the fur is an amazing idea!!!! I will be back Sunday-cant wait to get back to a more normal schedule! Love your card!!

Becky said...

This is so adorable, where do you think up these things :). I have an award for you, come by and pick it up, it is an original.

lindal said...

Boy I wish I could help you out. I think your card is wonderful. I love how you made the lion 3D.
What if you cut a C shape on its side like a hill and do the thing with the pennies. It would roll side to side. That might look like it bobbled.

msfreida said...

What a clever idea! I LOVE how it turned out! Too, too cute! Precious lion.... Have to get that one too. Sara's sorority's mascot is a lion! That would definitely make for some cute scrapbook pages!

Heather said...

Super cute!! Love his mane!!

Carole RB said...

Hi Holly
Uou are always impressing me. You are really inventive. Great card.

Kristie said...

I think he's just gorgeous...but I know what you mean about having an idea in your head and not being able to get it to work the way you want it to! I don't know what to use for the bobbly head you want...sorry! But I hope someone comes up with something that works and you can try again! But I still think he's pretty cute just the way he is :)