Monday, August 3, 2009

Awards and Christmas Card Monday

Good morning everyone, and Happy Monday!

I received three wonderful awards a while back from two special ladies. I've been a very bad blogger though by letting so much time pass before mentioning them. It's just that these awards are supposed to be passed on to other bloggers and I rarely get time to check out new blogs and I don't want to keep passing them on to the same blogs!

I received these two awards from Becky at A Diamond In The Rough





And this award was given to me by Boni Boutelle-Jones at Bonibleaux Designs



I am so very touched that these two wonderfully talented ladies would give me these. It really is a special honor and I hope you'll both forgive me for not mentioning them sooner!

Today is Monday and that means it's a Squigglefly Challenge day. It's also Christmas Card Monday on my blog, and it just so happens that one of Santa's little elves told me a little early what the challenge on Squigglefly was going to be this week and it's a Christmas challenge to make something using the cute Reindeer image from Squigglefly, so that fits in perfectly!

I didn't make a card, I made a little bag of "Magic Reindeer Food" to give to my best friend's granddaughter Katelyn who is three years old. The food is oatmeal and colored sugar crystals.


(click to enlarge)

I printed the reindeer and then cut out a tag. He was colored with copic markers and I sponged a little ruby red ink around the edges. I punched a hole in the top of my tag with a star shaped punch and then tied some red sheer ribbon through it.
I made the bag topper with one of the Top Note dies and I printed the words "Magic Reindeer Food" with my computer. The font I used is a really fun one I found that is perfect for this project. The only problem with it is that I would have had to print it out way larger than would fit on the topper for you to really see the little holly leafs and berries on each letter. It's called Rick-Mueller BodieMF Holly and if you want it you can get it here for free! I just colored each letter with a red copic and went right over the little holly designs. I added some stickles to make it look more festive.

There's a little poem that goes with the reindeer food that I printed on the back of the tag. It reads

Sprinkle on the lawn at night.
The moon will make it sparkle bright.
As Santa's reindeer fly and roam,
This will guide them to your home!

Isn't that a cute little project to make? I would have loved this as a child! Some people put bird seed in with the oats and sugar, but I've opted to leave that out just in case Katelyn is tempted to taste the "magic" food herself!

I 'm looking forward to seeing what the design team has done with this image! I hope you'll all go take a look too. Check them out at Squigglefly's blog!
Hope you enjoy your Monday, and thanks so much for stopping by!

17 comments:

Pam in Ar. said...

Congrats on your awards...you deserve them =)

Love, Love, Love the reindeer tag and goodie bag. GROAN...I guess it is time to start thinking about cards isn't it!

Thanks for sharing...Happy Monday =)

MANDEE said...

What a cute idea!!!

lindal said...

Very cute. That would be fun for my first grade class to make. Thanks for the great idea.

msfreida said...

How adorable! This is the cutest idea I've seen in a long time! :) I will definitely have to make my precious 5 yr old grandson one of these!

Have an awesome week everyone! :)

Hugs~

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

you are definitely QUEEN of creative! love it.

hugs,

Jeanette said...

Love your reindeer Holly. Congrats on your awards.

I got the rocking horse and I'm putting it
on my blog this a.m. Thanks.

Jeanette

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

Congrats on the awards hun, you deserve them all!! :)

I love your take with the reindeer!! That is so adorable!! Brings back memories for me when the boys were younger...we ALWAYS had to leave the food out every Christmas!! :) FUN!!

Jenny said...

Holly,
This is really cute!! I might have to CASE this for my 2 little ones! :)
Jenny

Heather the Mooselover said...

Congrats on your blog awards! They are well deserved- I enjoy your blog.

Really nice tag/ goodie bag. Cute idea!

Kim said...

This is so darn cute Holly!!!! I am going to use this idea and poem for my Grankids this year if you don't mind!!!!!!

bumblebee creations said...

EXCELLENT!! I totally love this idea, and will have to make some up! How fun that image is too!!! LOve it!

Joy said...

great minds think alike huh? great project!

Maria Matter said...

Hey Holly!
congrats on your awards!!!

Now,
OMGosh, this reindeer tag, idea and poem are fabulous!!! I love, love, love it all!

Hope your week is off to a great start!!
Blessings, Maria

Heather said...

Totally cute!! Love that you made the cute bag...

I'm Crystal said...

Awwwww adorable, I make reindeeer food for the kids and grands to sprinkle around....

Sweet!!!

Emma said...

Congrats on your awards and I love the reindeer food.
Emma x

Debby said...

This reindeer is so darn cute and you know every year I make 50 bags of reindeer food and pass them out to all the neighbors and leave them for all my clients. I think I will color the reindeer in paint then print them out on a tag template. How cool is that!