Monday, August 10, 2009

Dangling Snowflake

I found a pattern for this snowflake here and just loved the idea of making one for a card that the recipient could detach from the card and use as a tree ornament or window hanging. I do not have a wire jig and didn't particularly want to go out and purchase one just to make a few of these snowflakes. For all I knew I might not enjoy making wire things and wouldn't know until I tried it! So, I asked a co-worker to make me a jig specifically with this pattern by nailing some nails in a board. He had this made for me in less than ten minutes!



He cut the tops of the nail heads off so the wire would slip off, and after trying my first snowflake I asked him to make the center nail longer because it gets wrapped so many times. Anyway, here are my first snowflakes!


(click to enlarge)


(click to enlarge)


I used some lightweight wire that is a pale green color and then I found some green gems in the dollar section of Michaels to put in the middle. They are a little wonky, but they really are pretty! Now, here's the card I made using one of the snowflakes


(click to enlarge)

and here is the card opened up so you can see how the snowflake spins in the opening



the greeting is from Stampin Up and the snowflakes on the background are from Print Works and it's stamped in versamark. This is a little labor intensive to make many, but making the snowflakes is fun! I urge you to give it a try yourself!

I'm off to check the Squigglefly Blog now to see what the challenge is this week! I hope you have a wonderful Monday, and thanks for looking!

13 comments:

bumblebee creations said...

Holly-these are gorgeous! I will have to have Kevin make me one of these-thank you-you always have such unique ideas!!!

I'm Crystal said...

Lovely snowflakes.... You are so like me, if I can make it, I will!!!

Great job!!!!

Pam in Ar. said...

How cool is that???? You are so crafty, I can't begin to tell you how crafty you are. I LOVE this idea...thank you so much for sharing ;)

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

holy crap!!!!! this is awesome! i'm like awed! fabulous, fabulous, fabulous!

hugs,

Carole RB said...

Hi Holly

Those snowflakes are gorgeous. You've done a beautiful card. Thanks for sharing.

msfreida said...

OMGosh! How GORGEOUS! You went over the top today! These would look so awesome hanging in a window as a backdrop for a tree. How clever it is to send them attached to a card this way.....AWESOME idea and what a unique card it makes! :)

Hugs

lindal said...

Absolutely beautiful! I would love to try one. Where did you start and end the wire? I am pretty sure I could make the jig. The only thing now is finding the time. The card/gift idea is wonderful.

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

WOWZER!! Holy cow lady!! That is just gorgeous!! These are really elegant looking!! You're so brilliant lady!! :) HUGS

MANDEE said...

SUPER SUPER CUTE!!!

Heather the Mooselover said...

Wow- what an incredible idea- not only are the snowflakes super cool you also used creativity instead of money to solve the "I need a template" issue. What a fantastic idea.

Debby said...

Wonky! This is is the cutest idear I have ever seen. Such a clever clever girl.

Maria Matter said...

OMGosh, lady, these are way over the top fabulous!!!!
You are amazing!!!
And the card is so elegant!
Remind me to send you my address at Christmas time! lol
Wonderful job Holly! Seriously!
Blessings, Maria

Kat said...

Wow, Holly - these are great! I love the whole concept ... the handmade thingamajig, your snowflakes, and the spinning effect. Awesome!