Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Don't Walk Beside Me!

Hi everyone! I received some news yesterday that got me really excited and since I can shout it from my roof top (well I could but I'd be crazy to climb up there and do that!) I'm going to tell all of you! Two cards that I submitted to Scrapbook News And Review got accepted for publication in their August issue! Whoo Hoo! If you could see me you'd know that I'm doing the happy dance! (one more reason it's a good thing I'm not on the roof!)

I've got a card to show you today that is a perfect example of why I love making cards so much. You can personalize them in any way you want. Sometimes back in the day before rubber stamping when I would browse the greeting card aisle looking for a card for someone I would land upon one that said the perfect thing or had the perfect picture, but most often I settled.

I am positive that you'd never find a card like the one I made in a greeting card aisle, but it's perfect for the person I'm giving it to. Here is the front of it.


(click to enlarge)

I used the Squigglefly image Side By Side and colored it with copic markers. Then I chalked the sky, sun, and grass. I stamped grass sprigs over the chalked grass and dotted little yellow, pink, and purple markers here and there.

The words are computer generated and were printed out at the same time I printed the image. I know they're a little hard to read so I'll tell you what it says

There's a saying that says
Do not walk behind me, I may not lead
Do not walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Okay, now here is where I need to explain the inside. My husband and I go walking a lot and when we get to paths that have a lot of low hanging branches and trees I ask him to walk in front of me so that he knocks down any spider webs that I might walk into unsuspectingly! I know that man loves me because he does things like that for me! So, here's the inside


(click to enlarge)

In case you have trouble reading that too, it says

I say walk ahead of me
so you knock down all the spider webs!

I stamped a little spider hanging from a web in the corner. It was a dollar stamp from Michaels. These kind of cards that have you thinking one way in the front and then completely twist around to something different on the inside are so fun to me. They remind me a little of the old Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy sketches they had on Saturday Night Live a long time ago. Anyone remember those?

Think about some private joke you have with another person and see if you can make a card for them depicting the joke - it's fun! Well, that's it for me today! Enjoy your Tuesday and thanks as always for stopping by!

14 comments:

Doodles said...

This is a beautiful card and i enjoyed reading your reason for making it the way you have.

Have a great day

Pam in Ar. said...

Let's have a big SHOUT OUT for Holly...WHOO HOOOO, congrats on your publications...I am so happy for (dancing right along the side of you :~))..

Love the card, I know your hubby will too.

Have a smokin' hot Tuesday.

msfreida said...

CUTE,CUTE,CUTE! I love the ones with the mixed messages...I can only take so much mushiness! I like the humor...and yes, I do remember Jack Handy! Miss "Deep Thoughts"...they need to bring it back! Yes, I used to be one of those that would look forevah through the aisles of cards just for the perfect one...now I just copy one of yours! HEEHEE :)

Hugs~

msfreida said...

DUH...forgot to mention...

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU GO GIRLFRIEND! :)

I'm Crystal said...

Congrats on the SNR cards.... I had one accepted in June, I know how ya feel. What a great card, I love your twisted sense of humor, it does remind me of the Handy sketches....LOL
Were we separated at birth??? Bwaahahahahahaha

bumblebee creations said...

I Love your card Holly-your coloring is always so perfect! And so are your sentiments! How funny! He must love you!!! Have a great day!

lindal said...

Very cute! I love the joke. Your coloring is so perfect. You do a wonderful job.
And CONGRATULATION ON YOUR PUBLICAITONS That is me shouting out

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

WOOT!!! WOOT!! I knew you'd do it lady!! Congrats on the publications hun!!

Your card is so soft and beautiful!! What a lovely image and I adore the way you've made the sun!! :) HUGS

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

awwwwww! that is the best!

wooooooooo hoooooo on the publication and.... FYI..... i got a card picked too! are we awesome or what?????

hugs,

Maria Matter said...

too perfect Holly!

I love your coloring/chalking of this card...love reading the thoughts behind it too! :)

And a big Congratulations on being published....woohoo, doing the happy Snoopy dance with ya...that's so exciting!!!
Have a wonderful day!
Blessings, Maria

Becky said...

This is a beautiful card, love how you have the words in the sun, I must learn to do this, I know!! you did a tutorial on it :).

Emma said...

Hi Holly
Woo hoo huge congrats on being published, it feels so good doesn't it??!!
Loving all your cards since my last visit, the sentiments are add always amaze me.
Hope you have a lovely day.
Hugs Emma x

Bonibleaux Designs said...

ADORABLE! Congrats on the publishing and to DH for being "the Man"!!!

Heather the Mooselover said...

Congratulations on getting published x2! How exciting!

I love that first card especially with the couple walking into the sunset.