Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Magic of Digis

Hi everyone! I hope you are all having a really great week. It seems to be speeding by to me.
If you haven't yet commented on yesterday's cards and you'd like a chance to win your choice of one along with a matching envy, please go comment now. I'll have random.org pick a winner around noon today.

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to Rhonda and we were talking about how we first got involved in stamping. I mentioned to her that my very first big stamping project was making a lot of Christmas cards for my family and friends. Of course I picked a project that was very time consuming and difficult for a new stamper! I chose to make magic cards!

Now Rhonda surprised me by saying she didn't know what a magic card was! After hearing that I knew that I had to make a magic card for her. A lot of people don't think you can make magic cards with digital images, but you can! There are transparancies that are made for the printer, and digital images print on them like a dream! Here's the card I made for Rhonda (click on any card for a closer view)




This is the front of the card. I stamped the little flowers with versamark ink. Both the numbers and the flower are from a clear alpha set I have but I don't know who makes it. I like to keep magic cards rather plain on the front because I think it makes the "magic" pop of color when you open it that much better!

Here's a view of the card just opening up so you can see how it changes to color



Here it is fully opened



and a close up shot




I make magic cards with instructions I got a long time ago whenI first started stamping. Splitcoast stampers does have a tutorial that is a little different from how I do them here.

My very first Christmas cards were so elaborate! I covered the entire card with Christmas fabric. My image was a group of carolers under a street lamp so it required a lot of coloring, and I made my cards bigger than the standard size. Quite an undertaking for me at the time, but I enjoyed making them so much! The really great thing is that one of my sister's local television stations was asking viewers to share the best Christmas card they had received and my sister sent my card in. I actually won a $100.00 gift certificate to be spent at the Hallmark store there in Kansas City! And the rest as they say is history. LOL!

Well, I'll be back a little later to tell you who wins yesterday's giveaway. Have a great day, and thanks as always for looking!

11 comments:

TeresaW said...

This is brilliant Holly, I know my sisters 4 littlies will love it if I make them cards like that. Thanks for showing it.

Jeanette said...

Magic is right. Thanks for the technique. I was just thinking of getting some transparency sheets. I will for sure now.

Jeanette

msfreida said...

THIS IS FABULOUS! Boy you were a brave soul to make these for your first project! For me, I'd have to start Jan1 to have them ready in time for Christmas! I'm afraid my ADD would have me so frustrated that my language would be rated X! This is such a creative concept, but I don't think my patience would survive. I take my hat off to you, my friend!

Hugs~

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

Now this is just AWESOME girl!! I love how you did this!! Fantastic way to show off those digis!! VERY COOL!!! :) HUGS

Vicki said...

This is way too neat Holly! I have some transparency sheets given to me and was not real sure how/what I was going to use them for. Now I have a new thing to try! Thanks Holly...cool idea!

{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}

Vicki

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

this is fabulous and i'm impressed! i've seen how to do it before and it scares the snot out of me. but you make it look so easy. great card for rhonda too!

hugs,

bumblebee creations said...

Holly-I was so surprised to get this in the mail yesterday! It is way even better in person than your pics show!! It even had my hubby baffled-you shoulda seen him taking it in and out an watching the layers while doing so!!! SO VERY COOL-can't wait for a spare moment so I can give it a try myself!Thank YOU- your the best!!

MANDEE said...

WOW! $10.00 in the hallmark store??? that is cool!

Scrubbybubbles(sue) said...

How fun! I wasn't familiar with this type either!

Maria Matter said...

fabulous!!!
This is such a fun technique...definitely has the wow factor going on! Even though I understand how they're made, I still love seeing 'em! Thanks for sharing!!
You should try out for the Digital Tuesday chall DT call....we need 2 new designers!!!
Blessings, Maria

Pam in Ar. said...

OMGOSH Holly...I have NEVER heard of a Magic Card before either!! I love it!!!!!!!! You are so awesome...always coming up with new stuff!!

Thanks..I'm going to try this one =)