Saturday, September 5, 2009

Autumn Squared

Hi everyone! Well the rain I was hoping for didn't come yesterday and the temperatures are still higher than I like. There's nothing I can do about it, so to make myself feel better I created a Fall card. If it can't be Fall outside it can be in my craft room!

The card I made today is a square card and I used the autumn tree from the Seasonal Trees set from Squigglefly.



(click to enlarge)

Can you see some of the things I bought on my recent trip to Michael's? I used the Martha Stewart punch along the bottom and the cute little brad is one from Recollections. It comes with some acorn and leaf brads too. So cute! The twill ribbon is from some packaging that came with a gift from Pottery Barn. The back of the twill says "Pottery Barn" on it, but I just turned it over.

I colored my tree with these copic colors




The one that doesn't have a number and name on it is an empty copic marker I bought and filled with some of my old alcohol inks. I have a ton of alcohol inks I bought a long time ago when I was gung ho on the polished stone technique, and I wanted to see how they worked in a copic marker. They work great! Can't tell any difference in how they blend. The color is called butterscotch.

Now, here's a neat little trick for you that will also save you money! You know that when you send a square envelope it costs more to mail. Well someone gave me a square card for my birthday that they bought from the store and it came in an envelope that wasn't square. They glued one end of the envelope together. That gave me the idea to do that to envelopes for my square cards and make them decorative at the same time.




I punched a leaf shape along the side and then inserted a piece of cardstock that was a scrap from my card. I ran some double stick tape along the edge of both sides of the cardstock before inserting it in the envelope.

Now my card fits perfectly and doesn't cost extra to mail, plus it dresses the envelope up nicely on the front and back! Cool huh?

Today is the color challenge at Card Universe Squigglefly group. Why don't you run over and see what colors Stef has chosen and check out the beautiful card she made?

Have a great day and thanks for looking!

10 comments:

Norine said...

this card is awesome love the brad and twill well everything LOL
Hugs
Norine

Pam in Ar. said...

That was a lot of markers for that one little tree! They sure did make it pretty though...before you know it, the leaves on that tree will be on the trees in our backyards :) Bring on the cooler weather!!

Have a great day!

msfreida said...

AWESOME! Oh I LOVE how you colored those leaves! This is a FANTASTIC card! You sound like me with the way you recycle ribbon! Hehe...oh what I pull out of the trash!:) What a great tip with the envie...will definitely use that one!
I'm hoping I can get a chance to sneak away from the crowd that's staying the weekend so I can play with some of those new fun images. A girl can handle only so much football and those rowdy fans!

Hugs~

I'm Crystal said...

What a great card!!!! Love the punches that you used!!!

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

Holly, this tree looks so beautiful with your added touches and coloring!! Beautiful job with the punches!! HUGS

Rachel said...

This is such a beautiful fall card. i love all the embellishments you put on it and that great border. so very pretty!!
hugs,
Rachel

Anonymous said...

I'd like to try your envelope technique - to make it not square.Eventhough you gave instructions - I cannot see from the picture where the envelope is folded. Can you give us any further instructions?
I like your 'punching' and color inside the evelope to show the leaves....great work.

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

oh i love the card! that twill is perfect!

and i love the EMPTY copic marker. looks like i'll be getting several!

you are the best on tips!

hugs,

MANDEE said...

This is such a pretty card! Thanks for the inspiration!

Scrubbybubbles(sue) said...

What a great little card! and I love the matching envelope.