Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Two Featured Cards

Hi everyone! Another beautiful morning here in Little Rock! The temperatures we are experiencing this week are really a great gift. I love it!

I took a look at the featured stamper on Splitcoast stampers this week and chose to CASE this card

I pulled out some chatterbox paper I got at Michaels and created this



(click to enlarge)

I used the Lovely Friend sentiment from Squigglefly and sponged a little creamy caramel ink over it. I have some of this really thin curly gold wire that I got from a friend eons ago and I used some of it to wrap around the designer paper panel. I wish I knew what the gold wire is and where she got it because it's fun stuff!

I found a piece of lacy fabric that was left over from a canopy I once made for my daughter's bed, and I cut a strip from that to tie around the card. I really like how it turned out; so much in fact that I decided to make another one!



(click to enlarge)

This one I did the cracked glass technique on and rubbed some close to cocoa ink on it to make the cracks show up even more. I pushed a stick pin with a white pearl head on it into the lace's knot and clipped off the end with some wire cutters and then curled it back. The use of the lace and the little pearl on the pin makes it eligible for this week's Digital Tuesday challenge! Yay me!

In case you don't know how to do the cracked glass technique, let me tell you. You coat your image with a clear embossing ink and then sprinkle on some Ultra Thick Embossing Powder. If you only have regular clear embossing powder, that will work too you just have to do more coats of it. Anyway, you heat your embossing powder until it melts and you do the whole thing again until you have about three layers built up. With the regular embossing powder you would do about five or six layers.
After your final layer has cooled, gently bend your image around letting the embossing layers crack. You can leave it like that or you can rub some ink on it to enhance the cracks more. That's it!

Well, I hope you all enjoy your day and thanks for looking!

14 comments:

Tracey said...

These are both gorgeous cards Holly. Very elegant. xx

bumblebee creations said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS, Holly!!! I will have to give that technique a go-it is very elegant, and looks antique! Thank you for sharing with us today and every day!

Jeanette said...

Both are beautiful. I love this style of card.

Jeanette

Vicki said...

Holly these cards blow me away! I love both of them and love the technique you used. Thanks for the directions for the technique! I haven't ever tried it but I think I will now! Glad the weather is getting nicer for you and Riley! Take care and have a wonderful day!

Hugs,
Vicki

Pam in Ar. said...

I love that gold ribbon? that you used on your card...it really makes the card elegant. Also the lace you'd kept from your daughter's canopy and put on the card puts me in mind of...something old, something new...for a wedding..I know, my mind is fried huh!

You do such a great job Holly...ALL of the time :-)

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

WOWZER!! Holly, these are soooo gorgeous girl!! I love the elegant look you gave them and the cracked glass tech is done beautifully!! You rock lady!! HUGS

Maria Matter said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Holly! The cracked glass adds the perfect touch! And yes, yay for you with the challenge!
A seriously lovely card!
blessings, Maria

Martha said...

beautiful card, I love it.

Michelle Redman said...

Both of these are really beautiful!! I really like the cracked glass!! Thank you for joining us at the DTC!!

msfreida said...

OH HOLLY...these are GORGEOUS! So elegant! Looks like SF has a lot of new additions! Must have this one! I have never tried the cracked glass technique, but I will now! PERFECT for this design! :)

Hugs~

Debby said...

Gorgeous! I need to crack things more often. This is just way pretty. Everything, colors, elements, comes together so nicely.

Heather the Mooselover said...

Beautiful card! You are an expert with cracked glass technique.

Lora said...

They are both beautiful Holly.
I have always wanted to try the cracked glass technique but have never actually got round to tyring it. I think I may give it a go today!
thanjks for joining us at Digital Tuesday this week
Hugs Lora x

Scrubbybubbles(sue) said...

wow!! FABULOUS! I LOVE that cracked glass affect. Hmmmm...I may have to try this!