Saturday, October 10, 2009

Better Late than Never For the Spotlight!

Hi everyone! I've had a super busy, but super good day today! Ashley and I went to Scra Stampin in Cabot, Arkansas today to give our very first digital stamp class! We would have loved a bigger turn out of course, but it was really nice having a small group because everyone got one on one instruction and actaully got to sit at the computer and do the steps themselves.

It was fun to introduce the advantages and the ease of digital stamping to people. I think everyone had fun and really liked the Squigglefly images, and everyone learned something that will be valueable to them in their crafting.

Of course it was wonderful to have Ashley here for the day. We went out to eat after the class and enjoyed just hanging out and watching her dog Coop play with Riely. Riley is not a good sharer of her toys! The weather here was absolutely perfect in my book! I couldn't have ordered any better.

Before I had left for the class this morning I saw the new Saturday Spotlight challenge and all day long this idea has been pestering me, so I found time this evening to come make this card for her challenge


(click to enlarge)

Vicki's challenge is to "Dress Up Those Trees". I think one yellow ribbon around a tree is as dressed up as a tree needs to be. I found this tree image by Magenta called The Good Tree of Life. I left off those words that are at the bottom of this stamp and just stamped the tree.

The words around the tree are kindness - faith - joy - thankfullness - generosity - love - consideration - forgiveness - peace - hope - friendship.
I think all the men and women serving in the armed forces can feel each and everyone of these feelings for our country and it's people.

I colored the tree with copic markers and then chalked the sky and grass. I used my well loved grass sprigs stamp to stamp over the chalk. I cut slits on the sides of the tree trunk to slide the yellow ribbon through and tied it off. The image is matted with black and then mounted over a piece of vellum that's been embossed with leaves and the leaves are lightly colored from behind.

You may not see a post from me for a couple of days because I'm going to be working on some cards that use some images that won't be available until next Saturday. I can't start showing you peeks of these images until Wednesay, but I may be back before then with another card. I can tell you that you will love the new images!

I hope you have had a wonderful Saturday, and thanks for looking!

14 comments:

Amy's Stocking Stuffers said...

I would love to take a digital stamp class. I will have to see what there is around my area here in Houston. But I have to say I was disappointed when I went to Michaels yesterday, and the people working there had never heard of Copics. (I still saw lots I wanted to buy, but I behaved myself pretty well....)

Rachel said...

very cute card Holly!
hugs,
Rachel

Maria Matter said...

This is just beautiful Holly! I love the image and your perfect single yellow ribbon...makes a statement! Great idea with the embossed bg too!
I'm so glad you joined us again at Saturday Spotlight!

Glad you had fun with your daughter & stamping class!
Blessings, Maria

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

WOW!! Holly, this is sooo brilliant!! I guess this gives a whole new meaning for "dressing up a tree"!! I never thought about this, but I TOTALLY love it and the heartfelt meaning behind it too!! This is absolutely stunning girl!! Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to play along in the Saturday Spotlight this week!! I truly appreciate your support in every way!! So glad you had a great day with your class!! :) BIG HUGS

bumblebee creations said...

Holly this is gorgeous! I love how the words surround the tree! I knew you would have a great class!!!! I'll bet if you do another one the word will get out, and you will have more peeps show up! Great job!

Ruth M said...

I love your yellow ribbon tied round the tree idea, wonderful card! Love the fab embossed leaf background too!

Pam in Ar. said...

I am so glad you had a good Saturday...I know the folks that were there got a lot of undivided attention...and to have your daughter there too?? Purrrrfect =)

Love the words around the tree as well as the background paper...can't wait to see what you have in store for us next!

Darlene (SCS:akronstamperdpk) said...

PERFECT!!! I think we need to start tying more yellow ribbons around trees in support of our troops!! Great job and thanks so much for sharing it with us at Saturday Spotlight!!!

msfreida said...

THIS CARD ROCKS, GF! The words around the tree...BRILLIANT! How unique! The ribbon... such a heart-warming touch! And oh that embossed BG paper...GORGEOUS! You need to frame this one! ;)

I know everyone who took your class went away so excited having learned this new concept, especially being able to have one on one instructions! Lucky gals! Just let word get out, and you will be booked for months! ;)

Hugs~

Chris (catt871) said...

Wow Holly, this card is AWESOME! I love that tree!!! It can mean so much to so many people! Amazing job on the chalks (as ALWAYS!!!) - I always think of you when I pull out my chalks cuz you are SO good at using them!!! HUGS!
chris

Debby said...

Glad you & Ashley had a great day and digital is becoming ever more popular so just wait. There will be a time where classes are full and there is no catching up. Your card is brilliant. I'm thinking of Tony & Dawn right now. Okay. that wasn't your intent. but I am!

Jessica G. said...

Great idea for dressing up this tree; it's perfect card for the troops! Thanks for playing along in this week's Saturday Spotlight challenge!!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is beautiful Holly!! Love your tree image and the words around it!! Your coloring is perfect as is your design!!

Jennifer Talley said...

Very cute card! Love the tree image!