Saturday, October 24, 2009

Christmas and Birthdays

Hi everyone, and happy Saturday to you! Just in case you missed it I wanted to tell you about the Craft Critique article on Squigglefly. You'll be glad you went if you read all the way to the end! :)

I plan on spending quite a bit of time in my crafting room today. I am getting behind on sending out cards to people! Seems like on top of Christmas cards I'm always making birthday cards. In fact today I have both a Christmas and Birthday card to show you!

First is the Christmas card.


(click to enlarge)

I used the cute little Gift Spoiler image from Squigglefly and colored it with copic markers. I chalked a bit in the background and then used a circle nestabilities to cut it out and matted it with a scalloped circle. I added some glitter to the tissue paper. Don't people use the fancy stuff for Christmas presents? LOL! Really, I just wanted to give it a bit of sparkle.

I printed out some striped paper that I got from Shabby Princess and used it on the lower part of the card. I printed the words on my computer in a font called Stereofidelic. I thought it kind of Christmassy. You can get it HERE free if you like it too!

I used a provocraft snowflakes die and cut some red and some white ones. I added a little glitter to the white one, and popped it on the sentiment. Then all I had to do was tie the ribbon and mounted the image on with pop dots. I cut a little slit on the fold to run the ribbon through. I like how it turned out,although I may add a red jewel in the center of the snowflake. It was a pretty quick card to make!

Now for my birthday card



(click to enlarge)

yes, I used the same image! I love when an image can be used for more than one occasion and this one surely does! I once again colored with copics and used a little chalk. This time I left the glitter off of the tissue! There is however, glitter on the designer paper!

I printed my greeting and then cut it out in a banner and flag cut the ends. I curled the flag into the shape I wanted with a pencil and sponged around the edges a bit. Then I glued a piece of foam core board behind the part I wanted to be raised. This way I can mail it without it squishing my flag. I used a little yellow rain dot to make it look like a brad was pinning the flag to the card.

Well, I am off to see what great challenge Vicki has for us on the Saturday Spotlight Challenge this week. I hope you get in some crafting time today, but however you spend it I hope you have fun! Thanks for visiting me today!

15 comments:

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

i so enjoy it here!!!!! there's always a smile to be found.

hugs,

msfreida said...

Wasn't the Craft Critique article FABULOUS! I thought they did an awesome job for Squigglefly! ; )

This is such an ADORABLE image and you definitely showed its versatility! On the Christmas card, the paper you printed is FABULOUS with your design! LOVE the glitter on the tissue paper...I have some just like that! Your idea of using foam core board under your curled banner is sooo CLEVER on the birthday one! LOVE that DP too! Both of these are sure to bring smiles! :)

Hugs~

Rachel said...

oh these are so cute Holly!!
hugs,
Rachel

BlueRose said...

I love your cards great work! I had to come over Nora @ handmade and heavenly told me about ya, so I had to check out your blog. She is right you have some wonderful creations. So, I just wanted to say HI.

Pam in Ar. said...

LOL, that looks like my shabby princess, Stella!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Wow Holly!! These are so cute and beautiful Holly!! Great colors and coloring!! Have a great weekend!!
hugs,
Chris

Lisa Foster said...

These are both absolutely adorable! What a great image! Love it!!
Hugs,
Lisa

Kim said...

Both these cards are so cute! I love the image!!!! Fits m two fur babies perfect!!!!!
olly, not sure why you had trouble on my blog, I was on it a few times today with no problems.

bumblebee creations said...

Lovely cards Holly! I love how you have shown how versatile that image can be!!!!

Penny Duncan Creations said...

Oh Holly....I'm SO glad you contacted me!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your tutorial....It is SO informative and as you can tell I have fallen in love with your idea!!!! So far I've made 18 colors!!! LOL Can I share your video on my blog or must it stay private?????? You SO DESERVE credit for this as it is SUCH a cool technique!!!!!! I and a few others were so afraid you got in to some legal trouble from them cause I went to pull the other link I watched the other day and I noticed it had been made private..I was concerned I didn't want you to get in any trouble!!!!! I hope you're having a very blessed day!!!!

Jennifer Love said...

Oh I just love these!

Maria Matter said...

love that you used the same image, differently! lol

these are fabulous Holly! great tip for the flag sentiment!
blessings, Maria

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

BWWHAA!! HAA!! I love this image!! I really like that you've used the very SAME image, but in a different way! Really shows off the "hidden potential" in that image!! ;) You always have such fab coloring details too Holly!! Thanks so much for sharing all you do!! HUGS

Scrubbybubbles(sue) said...

I like how you show the image 2 different ways. brilliant! and I saw that article about SQF at Craft Critique just last night!! I thought how COOL! I was looking for an opinion on watercolor paper. anyhoo...great cards!

Debby said...

what is this foam core board you keep referring to? and these are both absolutely positively adorable. this isn't an image that I would normally choose for myself, it is a cat, but this is way too cute not to get. the birthday one is my fave.