Friday, October 9, 2009

Fairy Toes, Rub Ons, and A Freebie!

Hi everyone! It's Friday and am I ever glad! Yesterday after work I went home and went into my craft room trying to work on the card I had partially finished. I moved things around, got on the computer a bit, went back to my card and nothing was coming to me. Finally after about 45 minutes an idea came to me. I jumped up to grab the right piece of cardstock and that's when my husband asked me if I was ready to go take Riley out. It just never seems to fail that as soon as I actually get excited and motivated to make something is when something comes up! Does that ever happen to you?

Anyway, we did take Riley out and I was able to finish up my card after we got back home. Before I show you the card I made though, I wanted to show you my inspiration. My daughter Chesney is the artist who drew the Fairy Pool image for Squigglefly. She doesn't make cards, but she does do some beautiful digital coloring and she shared a colored version of this image with me and I wanted to share it with ya'll.



(click to enlarge)

Isn't that just beautiful? I cannot color like this, but I did use her colored picture as inspiration for my card.


(click to enlarge)

There are lots of details on this card. First of all I colored the image with copic markers, and then I painted some iridescent blue twinkling h2o's over the wings. I embossed the card base with another Impressabilities from Spellbinders. This particular impressabilities is called Butterfly.



Then I ran a versamark pad over the embossed area and brushed on some blue green duo pearl ex to give it even more shimmer.

I used some crystal lacquer on the dew drops on the leaves and then some liquid pearls on the pearls in her hair. Here are some close up pictures to show you the shimmer, and all the other details.




The words are computer generated in a font called Windsong which you can get free here. I pierced around the half circle piece of designer paper and then did some faux stitching with a white gel pen. I stamped a speckle background stamp over my ground to give it the look that Chesney had on her ground. A little silver flower charm finishes it off.

FREEBIE

Squigglefly has a freebie available compliments of Lynne Stansbery! It's a great one for Halloween. Go grab it at their blog here!

And last, but not least I made a really short video that shows you how easy it is to make your own rub ons. It's something I learned a long time ago, but haven't used in a while. Anyway, I thought I'd share it with ya'll in case it's something you didn't know you could do.



Well, tomorrow is the day we go to Cabot to give our first ever digital stamping class! I'm really excited about it, and I know that after the class is over there will be a lot of digi converts! Once these ladies see how easy it is and learn how versatile digis are they will be hooked. Maybe I can get pictures to share.

Well, have a fabulous day and thanks for looking!

16 comments:

Vicki said...

Wow...I am blown away Holly...Chesney's digital coloring is absolutely awesome and you did a fantastic job with your version of the image! Loved the extra touches you made with the crystal laquer and the liquid pearls. And thanks to Lynne for the freebie! Gonna check out the rub on video too...anytime I can save a litte moolah by making my own stuff is good! Most of all, good luck with your class this weekend...I think it is just the beginning of things to come.

HUGE HUGS!!!!

Vicki

Sue said...

Hi Holly
your daughter is very talented beautiful work. Your card is gorgeous all the detail in it, stunning creation,sue.x

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

wow! (1) chesney's picture is to die for gorgeous; (2) your card is a close 2d (to die for) gorgeous and (3) great tut! thanks.

did i miss that image????

hugs,

msfreida said...

WOW! Chesney's coloring/drawing ROCKS! That looks INCREDIBLE! What amazing talent she has!

Holly your card is GORGEOUS! The water droplets look sooo real! LOVE all the details! Can't wait to get my hands on this image!

Thanks for the tutorial! I've never tried making my own rub-ons, but you make it look so simple, I must give it a try!

Lynne, thanks for the adorable image! YOU ROCK, GF!

Hugs~

Pam in Ar. said...

The video is awesome Holly and your card??? It's STUNNING!! You are absolutely a pro..The background paper looks shimmery and the way you mimiced Chesney's digital coloring is over the top!

Both you and Chesney do such a great job =)

watchlady said...

Holly-- that card is absolutely beautiful! have a great weekend!

Maria Matter said...

Wowza, Holly, your card is absolutely beautiful!!!!
It was nice to see how Chesney inspired you with her lovely illustration....a fantastical scene!!


Hey cool tutorial too....never thought of that!
Thanks for sharing!!!
Blessings, Maria

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

Well talk about keeping things in the family!!! TEE!! I have to say WOW!!! Now that is amazing coloring of the image!! I loved this one so much I had to get it for myself!! :)

Awesome tutorial, freebie and so many fun things going...what am I going to do?!! TEE!! Thanks so much for all your share!! Have a wonderful weekend!! HUGS

Kim said...

Your daughter is amazing!!! That would be a beautiful print for a little girls room! LOVE it!
You did an amazing job coloring your card!I love all the details!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Wow Holly!! Incredible card!! Love the coloring and the used of the Impressabilities! Your daughter's print is amazing. Talent was passed down I see!!

Your blog is so full of inspiration my friend!! Great tutorial!!
hugs,
Chris

Carole RB said...

Hi Holly
Your card is wonderful. Your daughter is really talented. Thanks a lot for the great tutorial!

treesawardincrafts said...

That tutorial is so, so good, thanks for that. I also love how you have done your card, and Chesney is a whiz at the digi pen isn't she?

Linda L said...

Hi Holly, Wow you have a very gifted daughter! She must get it from her mom.
I love your video. You should do more. I really like listening to your accent. Thanks for the great tip on how to make a rub on. Fantastic information.

bumblebee creations said...

OMGoodness! the digital version of this is breathtaking!! Has she ever thought of selling these versions on Sf too? Gorgeous Gorgeous!!! I am thinking you are at your class by now-hope you are having a ball! Wish I lived close by so I could come too! Your version is so detailed! It is Gorgeous Gorgeous as well!!! going now to watch the tutorial! Thanks!!!!

Debby said...

Does that ever happen to you? Yes!!!! Every second of every day. And Ashley is amazing. That is soooooo incredibly gorgeous! And your rendition of it!!! Wowza! Rock on Rock on Rock on! Beautiful! And you know Rhonda has a point. Some digi stores do sell colored images for those that don't like to color or are coloring challenged {like myself}, what a great idea. Love your tute too. tute too. tute too. sounded fun. anyway. your acetate. is one side a rough side or are both smooth? great great great tute!

Kat said...

Holly, your card is so lovely, as usual. And the digital coloring (I'd never heard of that!) that Chesney did is, ohmygosh, out of this world, isn't it? I've no idea how that is done, but I am super-impressed!