Wednesday, October 28, 2009

No Peeking Til Christmas

Hi everyone and happy hump day! It's not raining here today, but they are calling for more of it in a couple of days. Everyone around me is complaining, but I love it! It does make it a bit harder getting Riley out for all her necessary play time though!

Yesterday I had several people ask me to help with shaker cards and I may do a step by step photo tutorial for you soon. I think a video would be too long for you tube though unless I had it in two parts, but we'll see.

Today I have a Christmas card for you using an image I just think is so cute called Keeping A Lid On It from Squigglefly. I almost think you could use this for a birthday card too and call him a birthday elf!



(click to enlarge)

I colored the image with copic markers and added some diamond dust to the bow around the package. There are two score lines at the top and between them I stamped a long "merry Christmas" message from Stampendous. Now here's a little tip for you - this was stamped on dark card stock and I wanted the holly berries and leaves to be colored but the colors wouldn't look right colored on the blue card stock. So, I filled in the berries and leaves with a white gel pen and let it dry and then went in and added my color with the copics. Cool, huh?

It's hard to tell in the photo, but the buttons and the ball on the hat of the elf are flocked. I added some faux flower soft to the ground for snow.

The background is some Christmas tissue paper that I wadded up and then smoothed out and glued on to some white card stock. A piece of silver cording is wrapped and tied around that.

Tonight we are planning on going to a new haunted house. It's supposed to be a really good one and I'm always up for a good scare! I'll let you know all about it tomorrow! I hope you have a wonderful day, and thanks so much for stopping by!

16 comments:

Tracey said...

An adorable card Holly! xx

Rose Petal said...

Cute card Holly and a lovely colourful image too.
Love Sandra xx

msfreida said...

HOW ADORABLE! This is such a fun image and your coloring really brings out the detail! What a clever tip about using the white pen on colored CS! THANKS! ; ) Love the effect of the tissue paper on the background! ALL your special touches really makes this one pop! FABULOUS job! :)

Watch out for those chainsaws! Have a ball!!!
Hugs~

Heather the Mooselover said...

Adorable! I love how you sparkled the bow and made snow ;)

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

oh this is soooooooooooooo cool! i love the scoring and i think you are QUEEN of tissue paper! i KNOW you're Queen of ideas!!!!!

and you are brave too. you'd never find me at a haunted house. my house is scary enough - LOL.

hugs,

bumblebee creations said...

Holly! I love this image!!! So cute, and your card amazing ---still can't believe you gave us all such a money saving tip for that Holly soft! You rock!

Cheryl said...

cute card hun love that adorable fellow love cheryl xxx

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

AWW!! I so love your fun image!! :) You are always so full of fun ideas Holly!! Love the tissue on this and that fun snow!!! COOL!!

Pam in Ar. said...

Love the faux flower soft! I have used tissue paper like that before...you can stamp on it too and then crinkle & glue..it gives it a different look....

I'll pass on the haunted house part...enjoy yourselves for me too ok?

Vicki said...

Hello Holly! Your card is cute! Love your tips on using the white gel pen...and how neat is the tissue idea???!! You have a good time at that haunted house...be sure to go to the bathroom BEFORE you go!!

HUGS!!

Vicki

Biscuitlid said...

I love the vibrancy of this card and the simple embossed lines, ust give that a try - don't need a cuttlebug for that!

Victoria
x

Maria Matter said...

what an adorable card Holly!
love the tissue paper idea...I've been wanting to try that forever, so I'll live vicariously through you 'cause heaven knows when I'll get to it! lol

oh, please make us a video for the shaker....you're tutorials are nice and easy to understand!

blessings, Maria

Chris (catt871) said...

Ohhh he is soooo cute!!!!!!! LOVE your colouring!!!! I would totally use him as a birthday elf too!!!!

Emma said...

Hi Holly
Gorgeous card, the image is super cute and love the colours too.
Hugs Emma x

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This little elf is too cute!! Awesome coloring!!!!!!!!!

Scrubbybubbles(sue) said...

Awwwww......so cute!! I love the sparkly ribbon too! what a great addition!!