Sunday, November 1, 2009

Printing Digis on Fabric

Hey everyone! Are you excited about all the new images released at Squigglefly? If you haven't seen them yet, then you should run and take a look because they are beyond fabulous! There are new shy bears from Lynne, new Mudzies from Crissy, Teresa has a funny one she did, and on top of all that there are TWO new artists making their Squigglefly debut' Robin Willis and Jane Beljo.

Did you know that you can use your computer's printer to print on fabric? It's a really easy thing to do. First cut a piece of freezer paper to a size that your printer will take. Make sure it's freezer paper and not butcher paper. There is a waxy side and a plain side. Now cut a piece of fabric slightly larger than the freezer paper. Place your baric on an ironing board with the wrong side facing up. Lay the waxy side of the freezer paper on top with the waxy side facing the fabric.



Now iron the two pieces



You don't want to get the waxy side ironed to the ironing board, and don't get the waxy side on your iron.

Now trim your fabric to the paper. The freezer paper will allow the fabric to be fed through your printer.

Here is an image I printed on to some plain cotton fabric. This is one of the new images from Jane Beljo called Jolly Old St. Nick. Isn't he cute?




Now color your image using markers, colored pencils, crayons, or acrylic paint. I colored mine with copic markers but there is some bleeding out of the lines with them, so you have to be careful. I used colored pencils too along with a white gel pen for highlighting.




Instead of flocking, puffy paint, or faux flower soft on Santa's beard I tried a new product. Well, it's not new; I see it at every craft store for years, but I've never used it and I have to say I really love it! It's Snow Tex



I used it on the suit trim and Santa's beard and mustache. Just paint it on with a paint brush and let it dry. Then I stitched a frame around the image ( I know SHOCK! I got out my sewing machine!) and pulled the outer threads out to fray the edges.

Here's my finished card


(click to enlarge)

I think it turned out cute! It gives it a kind of country homey look. Wouldn't it be cute to make a sandwich of a piece of fabric, a piece of batting, and then a piece of backing fabric - stitching it together with a ribbon hanger for country style Christmas ornaments? This card qualifies for the Squigglefly color challenge Stef gave us (red, white, and blue) and also for the 365 cards challenge to used 3 transparent things. I used a piece of vellum behind santa, and two transparent snowflakes at the top left of the card.

Another thing you can do by printing your digital image on fabric is to cut out parts and do piecing. I printed the Whistling girl and then cut out her dress and glued it to the image in this card


(click to enlarge)

Well, I am going to go make a grocery list and get busy! Have a great day and thanks for looking!

21 comments:

Jeanette said...

OMG! Holly, thanks for the great ideas. The piecing technique is fabulous. I even have everything that I need to do this.

Jeanette

Vicki said...

Holly the new Squigglefly images were awesome! And both your cards are cool. I loved the fabric idea on both of them! I am gonna have to go look for that Snow Tex...wonder if Hobby Lobby carries it? Have a great day!

HUGS,
Vicki

msfreida said...

I have some fabric sheets that you run through your printer that cost a pretty penny! I'm SO EXCITED to learn how to make my own! YEAAA HOLLY!

Your cards are so creative! What a precious Santa! The Snow-Tec really adds dimension! Love all the textures on both cards! Using the fabric for a piecing is FANTASTIC! Wish I had a dress like that! :)

I couldn't go to sleep last night after seeing all those new FABULOUS images! The ladies really outdid themselves this time! Can't wait to play! ;)

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

an apple AND a piece of pumpkin pie for the teacher! you so totally rock! these are just fabulous.

i love, love, love the new images.
never heard of snow-tex. will have to check it out.

and i love you too - in case i haven't said so lately.

hugs,

Shawna said...

This is the most exciting technique I have come across in awhile. Can't wait to try it. Thanks Holly, you crafty girl you!

Pam in Ar. said...

Amazing is all I can say......Love,LOve,LOVE it!!!

bumblebee creations said...

you r just such a smart cookie Holly!!! The images r totally amazing!

Jane said...

Wow!!! Never ever thought of that!!!!!!!! I LOVE both your projects!!!

Jane said...

Wow!!! Never ever thought of that!!!!!!!! I LOVE both your projects!!!

Kim said...

These are both so cute Holly! What great ideas!

Carole RB said...

Hi Holly

Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing. I know I'm repeating myself but your a genious!

Chris (catt871) said...

SO AWESOME!!! When do you find time to do this all????? You are a GENIUS girl!!! LOVE that card - can't wait to see your little ornaments you make (cuz I KNOW you will!!!!)

Pam said...

Thanks for sharing that wonderful tutorial, and your card for the 365challenge is lovely!

Emma said...

Hi Holly
Hope you are well and had a lovely wk end.
Your cards are gorgeous, totally adorable and love the fabric.
Hugs Emma x

Jane said...

Hi Holly!!
We are in the middle of renovating our basement where I work....finally I can put my stuff back (I posted a picture of what it looked like on my blog) and get to my materials etc. I'll send you an invoice tonight when all the kiddos are in bed and Mama has a breather!
xo

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

WOWZER!! Holly, there you go again girl!!! I just love this idea of being able to put digis on fabric!! Just goes to show you that you can do just about anything with them!! Your cards are as gorgeous as always hun!! Thanks for sharing your fun ideas with us all the time!!HUGS

MANDEE said...

THanks for this great idea, the new swuigglefly stamps are AWESOME!!

Debby said...

Holly both of these cards are beyond incredible. Just wowza! Your Mojo was in full crafting mode. Gorgeous. And your coloring really just keeps getting better and better.

Heather the Mooselover said...

Awesome technique. I have never done that. I must try it- I have the freezer paper (I LOVE it and use it all the time for crafts.) I never thought you could do THAT with digi's!

Maria Matter said...

Hi Holly!
I so badly wanted to come over here and see how you did your fabric printing when I saw you had posted it....I get sidetracked so easily! :(

This is fantastical!!!!
would have never thought of freezer paper adhering to fabric....brilliant! I have to try this...you should have rhonda or kim make this into a challenge! lol Sometimes I need just a little push of motivation! :)
Your little fabric pieced girl looks fabulous too!

This was very inspirational Holly, thank you once again for sharing your creativity with us!
Blessings, Maria

Rachel said...

WOW!!! this is awesome! thanks so much for the tutorial.
hugs,
Rachel