Thursday, December 10, 2009

Holly Jolly Christmas

Good morning everyone! While Freida and I were shopping at Archivers she found some flocked paper and pointed it out to me. She didn't get a piece of it until I said "have you ever seen how they emboss velvet with rubber stamps? You can do that with this paper." Well, since my saying that made her buy some of it, I thought I'd show that it can be done.


)click to enlarge)

here's a close up of the embossing



Mary from Hot Potatoes rubber stamps is the person who came up with embossing on velvet with rubber stamps. You can see her instructions here.

The results with the suede paper are a little different because you don't get the shiny look, but it's done pretty much the same way. It's best to use a solid image. I spray my stamp with water and then lay the suede paper on top of the stamp face down. Place a hot iron on the back side of the paper and press for a good minute.
Don't worry, you won't hurt your rubber stamp.

The details on this card - after embossing the stamp I cut it out and then glued the three jewels in for the holly berries. I then matted it with the red card stock and ran a bead of glue around. The glitter was a real mess! It's that tinsely glitter and it got everywhere. You should see my craft room, and my tape gun keeps picking it up!

Well, our temperatures are sure cold now! I figure if it's gonna be this cold, the least it could do is snow! None in the forecast though. I'm glad tomorrow is Friday. I have a lot to do this weekend. We are going to get our tree up and I really want to wrap up all of my gifts so I can get them out of my way!

Wishing you all a fabulous day, and thanks for looking!

18 comments:

Rose Petal said...

Hello Holly. This is great, what a fabulous effect, love it.
Have a great day.
Happy Crafting.
Love Sandra xx

Dawn B. said...

Holly this is beautiful. I had no idea you could do this.. What a great way to use this paper.. I want snow too.. we got 1 in last year and my son and I were so excited..

msfreida said...

OHHH this turned out SOOO PRETTY! Perfect stamp for this technique! Now where is my iron??? The glitter border looks FABULOUS, and look at those berries! This is GORGEOUS, Holly!

Why didn't you insist I get some red??? My heart stamp would be perfect for this! Well I may just order some since V-Day is several wks away! Teehee :)

Hugs~

Cheryl said...

oh this is really beautiful love it xxx

Elaine A said...

Cheryl -

What a great idea and how clever of you to think of doing it on paper! I love the look it gives. Thanks for sharing with us.

Elaine Allen

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

oh is this stunning! you are just full of good things!

hugs,

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

Oh Holly, I love this!!! The velvet is sooo rich and elegant looking!! Love the touch of glitter around the edges!! :) So fun going shopping with a friend!! HUGS

Shawna said...

How do you store all this stuff in that pretty head of yours? I want to try this. Soon!

Becky said...

Beautiful!! love the glitter around the edges. I never heard of this technique, must try it.

Vicki said...

Love the effect Holly....sorry the glitter was a mess cause it really looks pretty on your card. It is pretty cold here today too...guess we better get used to it! HUGS, stay warm.

Vicki

Patricia St Martin said...

Stamping on Velvet is beautiful. I have done it many times have. I'm not sure what the imformations says but it is real important that you use REAL valvet because it you use the fake it does not turn out. I know I tried because valvet costs so much so them you really waist your money. A small piece of the real thing goes a long way. It is so fantastic to see how it come out because you never expect it to come out so beautiful.

Jeanette said...

Holly I've always wanted to try this technique. How much more convenient to use the velvet paper. It turns out beautiful.

Jeanette

Martha said...

love it, very CAS :)

Biscuitlid said...

fab card and fab technique too

Victoria
x

Scrubbybubbles(sue) said...

Very nice! I just love the look of holly leaves. Very elegant. I like the embossing!

Rachel said...

Wow! what a great technique, this is awesome.
hugs,
Rachel

Debby said...

Very pretty. I haven't worked with velvet in a long time. I think I will hve to play.

Kristie said...

Beautiful card!! What a neat technique!