Monday, December 28, 2009

Zen Dragonfly

I was not ready to get back to the work a day routine this morning! Well, it is a short work week and I have a three day weekend to look forward to!

I just adore this new image that Angie Davis drew for Squigglefly. It's such a simple sketch, but the lines are so peaceful. I was immediately drawn to it.


(click to enlarge)

The image is called Zen Dragonfly. My first thought was to print it on acetate and then do the alcohol inks smooched on the back of it. Then I thought about printing it directly onto some handmade paper. Both of these ways I think would be very striking. Once I printed it on the plain white cardstock though, I thought of watercoloring it. I think it would make a gorgeous ATC.

In the end I went very simple with it and just chalked it. I got to use my brand new spica copic markers to add color and shimmer to the dragonflys. I also puffed up the cattail with some brown puffy paint. Here's a close up so you can see the detail.



(click to enlarge)

The corners of the designer paper were notched and then I ran some iridescent thread around it. The words are from a Stampin Up set. The image panel is popped up with pop dots. I want to play with this image some more because I see so many possibilities in it!

I hope you have time to play today, and if you don't I still hope your day is wonderful! Thanks for looking!

14 comments:

Rose Petal said...

This is delightful, absolutely gorgeous. Love the simple image and so beautifully coloured, very effective.
Happy Crafting.
Love Sandra xx

Elaine A said...

Holly -

Love this card. Simple, but very beautiful and serene. Lovely!

Elaine Allen

Vicki said...

Hello Holly! No time to play for me today...I am back at work too! Love your card and love your coloring...I agree...this image has lots of possibilities!
Have a good day!

HUGS,
Vicki

Crissy Armstrong said...

A simple and beautiful design, Holly! I love the bit of sparkle on the dragonflies!

Maria Matter said...

Simply stunning!
You have worked your magic again my friend!!! I love the chalked look with the touch of sparkle!

Have a good day at work, hope it goes fast!!
Blessings, Maria

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

oh boy! i love this. it just reeks tranquil to me. absolutely one of your best!

hugs,

Pam in Ar. said...

Don't you just love those markers!! I have the two different sets and just love them!
Great image...enjoy the week, it will be 2010 before we know it :)

Nora said...

I love it! Simple can be the BEST...that's why I started KISS on my blog. A pretty card doesn't always have to have oodles of embellies or frou-frou on it. Let the artwork stand on its own, I say!
This is just beautiful - thanks for sharing it with us!
-hugs-

Patricia St Martin said...

This is very elegant. I like this.

joanne said...

Holly - you indeed made a simple graphic simply beautiful...great colors. Please show us what else you do with this.
Questions:
1) can you use homemade paper in your printer?
2) I need a method to print my name onto fabric to make labels for a quilt block exchange - do you have any suggestions?
Thanks.
I will look forward to all your blog letters again this coming New Year. You are my favorite!!

Nora said...

Hey! Almost forgot to tell you that I got your DARLING Christmas card...thanks for remembering me this year!
MWAH!

Dawn B. said...

Wish we could play all day.. Seems like we should work on Saturday and Sunday and have a 5 day weekend. This is beautiful Holly.. The chalk is a great way to color this image..Super job.

msfreida said...

OH MY...this is GORGEOUS! LOVE the simplicity...sooo classy! What a FABULOUS image!

Hugs~

Debby said...

Goodness how pretty this is!