Friday, January 8, 2010

I'll Bend Like the Willow

Good morning and happy Friday to you all! I'm really sorry I didn't have a card to show you yesterday. I was just so bummed out over not having any snow that I guess I was sulking.

All day Wednesday the weather reports were calling for snow and the weather map sure looked like we wouldn't be missed. I just knew I'd have the day off to create a card or two and to build a snowman or at least make a few more snow angels. I know a lot of you are barely able to dig out of all the snow you've been having, and you think I'm nuts for wanting snow, but we don't get much here so it's fun when we do. But, I will take the day that's given me and bend like the willow - which brings me to
today's card!

I'm really excited to show you this one because it uses an image that will be released in the Squigglefly store tomorrow! This fabulous image is called Willow and is by artist Rich Davis.


(click to enlarge)

I colored this with copic markers and chalked the sky. It's hard to see the sky in my photo, but it's there! I went over the red fruits with a clear glaze pen and used a light blue copic spica on the little dots at the end of the branches and the birds wings to add just a bit of sparkle.

Now take a look at the grass under the tree. Here's a close up for you


(click to enlarge)

Isn't that stuff cool looking? It's some new stuff I ordered from Meyer Imports. I think most of their stuff is used for little scenes people build around train sets, but I think the grass stuff is really cool. I just spread a little glue around the base of the tree and then sprinkled some on. It adds some nice texture to the card as well.

I distressed the edges of the dark green cardstock the image panel was placed on, and then I embossed a couple of straight lines on the red card to sort of frame it.

Be sure to take a peek at the design team's blogs today for some more sneak peeks - and the squigglefly blog has posted little peeks of all the soon to be released images just to tantalize you!

I wish you a very happy day wherever you are and whatever you may be doing! Thanks for stopping by to see me!

23 comments:

Cheryl said...

gorjus card hun love that tree love cheryl xxx

Dawn B. said...

This is adorable Holly.. I love the texture. It gives great dimension. We just got ice here in NC. Cole is so dissapointed..Have a great weekend.

msfreida said...

Oh I LOVE this tree! I'm partial to willows because I had 2 in my yard that I lost during a tornado several yrs ago....plus, it was from one of them that I fell and destroyed my knee! :( Oh I am reminded of that tree, and my stubbornness, everyday! Whatever that stuff is that you used for grass is SOOO AWESOME!!! Oh I have to get some! Love your embossing too... really makes the image pop!

Well we are in for some extremely cold weather tonight and I know y'all are too! Just stay in and cuddle with Riley and I know you both will be toasty! :)

hugs

Angels Way said...

What a beautiful card!

Vicki said...

Holly this is very pretty! And I love the grass...you are so innovative! Sorry about the snow kiddo...I do love snow and I know how you feel...the weather men predict these big honkers for us sometimes and I get so excited...then they fizzle out to be puny little snows! I love the big snow storms!Have a good day kiddo,

HUGS,
Vicki

Kristie said...

I am so glad to see how you used this image! I love what you did with it and your "grass" is so cool!

Last night was busy for me, but I'll get to play with my "peeks" tonight!

Kristie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patricia St Martin said...

Sorry you did not get snow Holly. Had the grandkids because schools where closed and I had a ball watching them play out in the snow. They made snow angels even made a pile of snow and they played sword in the stone (snow). I to have my son to hospital this morning for tests roads where good. I love that tree. Great job in coloring. It a happy tree.

I'm Crystal said...

Love the weeping willow.... We had a weeping willow when I was growing up and I would grab the hanging branches and pretend I was tarzan swinging on the jungle vines....LOL That poor tree!!!

Nora said...

Cute image, fantastic coloring (as usual), and I love the grass. Very cool!
-hugs-

bumblebee creations said...

Holly-gorgeous card! That is def. one I have to get! I love willow trees! So much so that my hubby has bought me one! (two actually-but the first one had to be left behind when we moved)! TFS!!

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

i love it. this is one of my favs of the new releases.

oh honey, you can have all the snow you want, just come visit me!!!

hugs,

Shawna said...

Don't ya just hate it when the weatherman doesn't guess correctly? Bending like the willow is what we women do best!!! Love your card. I am off to check out the new releases.

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

Hey lady, your know you're allowed to take a day off now and then!! LOL!! I can't believe your coloring on this card!! WOW!!! That grass is so amazing too!! You are just too clever!! Love the image and I see some lovely shy bears on the new release!! SIGH!

Joan said...

Wonderful card - I love willow trees and I like the different shades of leaves you've created! That grass is totally cool too.

Pam in Ar. said...

You always find the neatest stuff to use on our cards! Love the WARM looking card...it reminds me of Spring...ah, Spring.....

Patricia St Martin said...

Holly I wanted to let you know I reveived your package today. Thank you so much. I love everything the tidbits will be fun to use all of then look like fun. The little clip board is great. Now we should ask Stef to ask Clyde what he though of his card....

Jeanette said...

Rich Davis is a nice addition to the SF team of artists. This tree is fabulous. You come up with the neatest things to share with us.

Maria Matter said...

this is one of my favs too!
love your grass, lol
blessings!

Meyer Imports said...

Thanks for mentioning Meyer Imports, I just love how you used the grass flakes! You are right that we do have alot of model railroading customers, but between our EarthFlakes (the grass above) and our German Glitters, we have something for everyone!

Debby said...

How lame am I? I didn't have a sneak peek or example one!!! geesh. I'm likin rich though. His images are cute. As are everyones, they all have their unique style. something whimsical? about these images. cute cute.