Sunday, January 10, 2010

Let It Snow!

no, we don't have snow but if we did this would be me



(click to enlarge)

Doesn't she look like she's so happy it's snowing? I just love her! She is one of the newest images that Cheryl Alger has drawn for Squigglefly. The image is called Winter, and I made this card for two challenges.

The first challenge is the sketch challenge they had on Papercraft Planet yesterday, and for once I didn't vary from the sketch at all!

You will have to kind of think like I do to understand why I think this card also qualifies for Vicki's Saturday Spotlight challenge. Her challenge is to make something that depicts love without using hearts - well as you all know by now I love snow and I think the love this little girl has for snow shows through - so there! LOL!

I colored the image with copic markers and chalked the sky. Then I used some snow tex for the snow on the ground and also to dot the snowfall. I really like the texture of the snow tex - you can see a close up here


(click to enlarge)

The sentiment was computer generated and I sponged some blue around the edges and then glued a punched and stickled snowflake to the end. I hope you have been enjoying the cards everyone is making with the new images - I sure have!

I'd like to thank everyone who said prayers for Ashley and her group of campers. They made it back safe and somewhat sound last night. Their original plan was to stay Saturday night too, but Ashley said Friday night was sooo cold (duh!) and when she got up Saturday morning she told the others that she didn't think she could do another night. She told them that she didn't want to ruin their trip, so she would go back and stay in a hotel for the night and come back to get them the next afternoon. They all said "no, we don't want you to do that. We'll just do a day hike to this big tree and come back".

So, she agreed to that and they started off. She said they came to some water they had to cross, and it was not really shallow water. They told her that there were two more water crossings to go through. She said she took off her boots to cross the water and she put one foot in the water and her foot instantly went numb and she knew if she walked through the water that she wouldn't be able to walk because she couldn't feel her feet, so she told them she couldn't do it and she'd walk back and wait for them to finish the hike. They all didn't want her to walk back alone (thank goodness!) so they all packed up and came back. She said she felt bad for ruining their trip, but I am so thankful that she had the good sense to call it quits when she did.
Truthfully I think they were all just as glad she quit too!
She said that when she was putting her boot back on she was tying her shoelaces and her foot slipped and raked over her fingers and tore one of her fingernails completely off. She's exhausted, but she is SAFE!

Now I'm off to see who today's featured stamper is on Splitcoast Stampers. Have a fabulous day, and thanks for looking!

23 comments:

Rose Petal said...

Hi Holly. Fab card, lovely, bright colours. Just great.
Happy Crafting.
Love Sandra xx

terriavidreader (IN-USA) said...

Cute card. And I definitely think it qualified as showing Love without hearts!

Michele Spera said...

Really cute with the snow in 3-d:-) Love the sparkle paper behind her!! and the colors are great !
Xmichele

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

what a fabulous card! those colors are fantastic! and yes, that is soooo you!

yep. ashley definitely got your brains!! smart kid! glad she's home safe & sound.

hugs :)

I'm Crystal said...

Super cute image and wonderful accents you added!!!!

msfreida said...

What a cutie she is and I agree...she DOES reflect her love for snow too! LOVE how the snow tex looks so real! FABULOUS coloring and that AWESOME background paper really brings it out! This looks AMAZING, Holly! :)

Sooo glad things turned out the way they did with Ashley! Bless her heart...I bet her toes won't thaw out til Spring! I know she's sick about her nail too...I know I would be! I'm just thankful all our prayers were answered.

Hugs to you both~

Tanya said...

Wonderful card Holly. Love the bright colours.

Jeanette said...

Glad to hear that Ashley is home safe.

Your card is just so cute. I love that snow (on the card not real life).

Shawna said...

You stinker you!!! I thought for sure you had snow----my,my but you do have a devilish streak in you like someone else I know. ;) I love your card, like I love them all girl, but I gotta say I am so glad to hear your daughter is home safe and sound. You raised a smart one. One who knows when it is time to say when!!

Dawn B. said...

This is adorable. I just love the new Squigglefly images. They are adorable. I am so glad she had good common sense..This weather is dangerous...It is still cold here in NC today..

Betty aka ZacksNana said...

so cute and colorful!

Vicki said...

Holy fabulous card...I think it depicts love....a snow lover!! I really like the effect of the snow tex too! Glad that the camping trip turned out ok! it was -8 here actual temp this morn and with wind chill it was -22...I couldn't imagine spending too much time in that frigid weather...and I am like you...thankfully she knew when to call it quits and was not afraid to let her friends know....and what good friends they were to not let her go back alone....Glad it all worked out well. Have a great day Holly...I am keeping my fingers crossed for you for some snow!

HUGS,
Vicki

Pam in Ar. said...

Somebody has to be the smart one and step up to the plate!! Thank goodness Ashley got some sense about her...YAY ASHLEY!!!!!

Love the colors in the card and I just love the smile on that little girl's face! Thanks for sharing :)

Elaine A said...

Hi Holly -

Ashley was a smart girl, frostbite is not anything to play around with. Glad that she is home safe.
I adore this card, that little girl is just so sweet looking and I love the snow tex, very real looking.

Elaine Allen

Becky said...

God is so good.

Patricia St Martin said...

just love your card. the colors, image, the snow. It is stunning.

Biscuitlid said...

Hi Holly
sorry not visited in a while, been a bit hectic here but chilling out now.
Love your card, so fun and fabby colours - right up my street.

Glad to hear Ashley is home safe, sounds such an ordeal

Victoria
x

Debby said...

Oh my goodness that does not sound like a fun camping trip at all!!!! I don't sleep outside anywhere unless it's 75 or above. Wowza. I'm glad everyone is health and safe. Now your card. I don't know what to say. IT'S GORGEOUS! Love everything. The colors the snow and hell yeah it works for vicki's challenge! Whoot whoot!

Heather the MooseLover said...

What a fun card! I love the bright pink and blue color combo too. Perfect for Vicki's challenge.

Maria Matter said...

well, I'm glad they came in outta the cold!!!!

Gorgeous card Holly! it's a great card for the spotlight challenge!
take care
Blessings, maria

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vicki (basement stamper) said...

Holly, your card is just perfect and YES...I agree with you totally about loving snow!! I know you do and I think it fits perfectly for this!! LOVE your colors and the pretty shimmer and sparkle you have here!! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Saturday Spotlight!! HUGS

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Oh I so love this image, your coloring and all the shimmer!! I love looking out at the snow but am not a cold lover. Love your take on the Sat. Spotlight my friend!!
hugs,
Chris