Monday, January 4, 2010

Money Saving Tip For Those Who Like Shimmer!

Hi everyone! How about starting your Monday off with a money saving tip? This is one I've been meaning to share with ya'll for quite some time. If you are a fan of the twinkling h2o's, shimmerz paints, or even the copic spicas, then you will like this! I made a little video that shows you how to do it, but first let me show you the cards (yes plural - I made TWO!)

The first one uses the Zen Dragonfly image that Angie Davis drew for Squigglefly. This image is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It is just such a versatile one. It can be used for birthdays, thinking of you cards, and even sympathy cards.


(click to enlarge)

Can you see the shimmer in it? I watercolored the image, chalked the bacground and then mounted it on to a piece of designer paper that was embossed with a provocraft embossing folder. I used some pretty purple and silver Christmas ribbon too.

My next card uses one of Cheryl Alger's adorable snowmen. This one is called Catching Snow. This one was colored with copic markers, but the shimmer technique was done a little differently on this one.



(click to enlarge)

I'm not as big a fan of this technique as the first one, but it was fun to test it out to see what I'd get.

Now, if you want to know what I did to get all of this shimmer, then go watch the video! I hope you enjoy it and that it saves you some money! Please note that the original video was about three minutes too long, so I had to cut out scenes and I'm not the best editor, so bear with me. I also notice that I say "So anyway" a LOT! LOL! Have a wonderful day, and thanks for stopping by!

13 comments:

msfreida said...

OH HOLLY! This is AMAZING! I have seen the iridescent medium in HL, but I never knew how to use it! I LOVE the effect it gives! What an AWESOME discovery! ;) I just love your videos...you always make it look so easy and hearing your voice reminds me of our special day! Miss ya, GF!

These cards are FANTASTIC! "Your" technique really adds sparkle to the already FABULOUS images! Thank you sooo much for taking the time to make the video! I LOVE learning new ways to save some bucks so I can buy new SF images! Teehee :)

Hugs~

Jeanette said...

Thanks for the great video tutorial.
Your cards are stunning.

Becky said...

Thanks for the tutorial..and these cards are wonderful, but I am loving the image of the first one, very tranquil.

Vicki said...

Holly your card is really nice...and I love your money saving tip! I am not far from HL here at work so I know where I will be stopping before I go home!
Thank you!

HUGS!

Vicki

Shawna said...

Holly, I love your money-saving tips, and this is a fabulous one! I am hoping Michael's or Joann's carries the irridescent medium, we don't have a Hobby Lobby. Thanks so much!

Patricia St Martin said...

love your idea's Holly.. thanks for the video. I wanted to tell you I got elements 7 and no instruction book came with it. Did you get one? I'm have a hard time going though everything. So much to learn.... I got several large ribbons like you did with the one card and though they would make great backgrounds.

Maria Matter said...

Loved the video! Your cards are fabulous! yes I can see the shimmer,it's beautiful!!!
Now I need you to do a video showing us how to capture that shimmer in photographs! hehe

Have a super day Holly!
blessings, maria

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

Holly, I have to agree with Maria on all accounts!! :) I think your cards are just gorgeous hun!! You're always thinking up these clever ways to save!! I'm bowing to you now.....

Pam in Ar. said...

So, anyway...I think you rock with all of your money saving tips! I could really see the shimmer in the card when you finished it and held it up to the camera...you have so many neat ideas and I thank you for sharing then with us...

So, anyway...LOL just jerking your chain :)....I guess that's it. Thanks again...

Dawn B. said...

These are both terrific cards..I love the shimmer video too..What a great way to add the sparkle..Super job on all of this..Love that snowman.

Linda L said...

You said you hoped this was helpful. Yes it is so very, very helpful! Thank you! I am going to get some of that stuff (Iridescent Medium right?). How do you learn about all these great tips? Thanks so much for sharing.
{{Linda}}

Carole RB said...

Hi Holly
Thanks a lot for the video. I told you this before but I say it again: You're a genius. I already have this stuff but I haven't played with it yet. Now I don't have any excuse!

Happy new year to you and your family!

Heather said...

Oh!! Thanks for the great tip I'm going to pick that up next time I go to the art store!! Video was awesome!! Cards too!!!