Friday, January 1, 2010

Old Fashioned Fun

Happy New Year everyone! Squigglefly has something fun on their blog; a Blast From The Past! They're going back and looking at some of their first images and showing cards people have made with them. I think this is not only fun to see, but it gives you the opportunity to see images you may have missed!

Their new design team is to be announced today, and if you look at my blog you'll see them all listed! Tomorrow is a whole new release! I can't wait to have the challenges start back.

I will be back a little later to announce the winner of my Get Well Clyde Challenge, but for now I've got a project that I had such fun making. There is a little paper doll set that Chesney Young has drawn for Squigglefly called Darla Dolly. I printed this out on to some magnetic sheets that you can feed through your printer. They are made by Avery and look like this



I didn't even have to heat set my images on this and I colored it with copic markers. It was a lot of fun picking and choosing what color I wanted each piece to be. I had an empty tin and the magnet pieces stick to it perfectly! I put all her little clothes inside, and then printed out some more so the little girl who gets this can color her own outfits.

I covered the front and back of the tin with designer paper, punched some holes in the top of the tin and ran some ribbon through so she can carry it like a purse. What little girl doesn't like carrying a purse of her own? Here's the front of the tin with little Darla stuck on the outside.



(click to enlarge)

Isn't she cute? I used some blue spica copic on her eyes to give them sparkle.

When you open the tin you can see all of her clothing.


(click to enlarge)

I think this would be a perfect thing for a small child to play with in the car. All of the pieces stay stuck to the tin so nothing falls out and gets lost!

On the back, there is another piece of designer paper, and then I printed out the letters of the child's name, colored them in and cut them out and stuck them on the back.



Here are a couple of pictures of Darla Dolly dressed in some of her outfits



(click to enlarge)

(click to enlarge)

You could even print out another set and they could have twin girls, or print one out smaller and she could have a little sister! Print one out even smaller and Darla Dolly could have her own dolly! LOL!

It really is fun to play around with, and so much easier than the paper dolls with the little tabs that never stay on the dolls. It's kind of like playing with colorforms; do you remember those?

Anyway, I do hope Jade enjoys her little gift and I hope you enjoy your day! Thanks for looking!

24 comments:

Vicki said...

Happy New Year Holly! AMAZING!!! And creative!!! Wow kiddo you really rocked with this project! And talk about a blast from the past....I remember playing with these things when I was a kid! They were some type of vinyl then but the same concept. Love what you have done here! Have a good day Holly!

HUGS!

Vicki

Becky said...

Happy New Year... What a great idea, I love these little tins,and I too remember the vinyl ones.

Jennifer Scull said...

this is precious!!! oh my goodness, she is gonna LOVE it! and yes, I was a big huge fan of colorforms! :)

you were right, this was worth the wait! giggles!

Lynnor Goodwin said...

Ooooh, I remember colorforms!!! Had so many when I was a kid! Love this project!! Bet my granddaughter will love them in a year or so...probably how long it will take me to actually make them...LOL! Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year!!

Rachel said...

OMGoodness, how cute is this!!!! There is absolutely no doubt this little girl will LOVE this. who wouldn't. This is amazing Holly, you did a great job with this cutie.
Happy New Year!!
Hugs,
Rachel

Dawn B. said...

You never cease to amaze me Holly.. this is an awesome project.. I think it is perfect for this sweet little set. I love this. Happy New Year...

msfreida said...

This is AMAZING! What an AWESOME idea! Paperdolls were my #1 thing to play with back then! How I loved my Colorforms! :) Oh Holly, you and the girls have outdone yourselves this time! What a fresh burst of inspiration for the new year! :)

Hugs~

Shawna said...

Oh Holly, this is so cute and clever!!! Indeed, what little girl wouldn't LOVE this. Happy New Year!

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

oh she's gonna love it! and i do too! she plays with her cinderalla fridge magnets all the time. no wonder i love you!

hugs,

Patricia St Martin said...

really great idea for any little girl. I remember play with paper dolls.

bumblebee creations said...

what a super great idea for Emily!!! Wish I had time to make it before I left-but I don't! Love the idea though, and will def. have to give it a try!

Heather the MooseLover said...

Adorable project! So much fun for a little girl and it is a good toy for travel. Great job Holly!

Dawn Edwards said...

Great Project Holly! I love the magnet sheets. I've created several of these but using my Cricut and Everyday Paper Dolls Cartridge! Such a fun and simple toy! Have a Great New Year!

Larissa said...

Wow Holly what an awesome project! Love the tin and all the clothes inside!

Hugs,
Larissa

Happy new year to you!

melissac said...

She iS ADORABLE!!! I can't wait to make one of my girls!!

Elaine A said...

Holly -

This is just so gosh darn cute! Do you think folks would look at me strange if I wore this around my neck - LOL!!

Happy New Year

Elaine Allen

Mel M. M. McCarthy said...

Oh my goodness gracious! This is too cute & too clever. I adore that image. What a great gift idea. Reminds me of paper doll making when I was a kid. Brilliant work!!!

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

AWW!! Holly, this is just amazing hun!! I love this idea and you're so clever!! You always come up with something FUN!! :) Congrats to the new DT!! Looking forward to checking out the SF stuff!! Happy New Year to you friend!! HUGS

Debby said...

Way cute!

Scrubbybubbles(sue) said...

Hi holly! How CUTE!! love it! Happy New Year's to you my friend!!

Kristie said...

Oh how cute!!!! I bet Jade is going to love it!

Maria Matter said...

wowza, you never cease to amaze me my dear! This is so fabulous, and what fun. It makes me want to dig out my paperdolls! I remember colorforms, who doesn't love vinyl clothes!!!
Great job Holly,Jade's going to love it!
Blessings, Maria

Pam S. said...

how creative and FUN! love this!

MANDEE said...

Oh Holly! This is SUPER CUTE! I loved playing with paper dolls when I was little!