Monday, January 11, 2010

You've Got The Birthday

Hello everyone! Happy Monday to you all! I hope you had a nice weekend and are ready for the week to begin! Today the challenges start back on the Squigglefly blog, and I can't wait for the new design team to show you their stuff! Kim has given them a pretty hard challenge right out of the gate too - to make anything other than a card! I plan to participate later, but in the meantime I do have a birthday card for you



(click to enlarge)

I used one of the newest images Cheryl Alger has drawn for Squigglefly called Cake Lady. I colored her with colored pencils and added some chalk around the background. To add a little more glow around the candles I painted some iridescent medium around the flames and then dotted a bit of yellow stickles directly to the flames.

I colored her clothes very bright because my first intent was for a different greeting. I was going to have it say something on the front like "Do my loud clothes hurt your eyes?" and then on the inside it would say "Wait until you see me in my birthday suit!" LOL! I still may do that for another card another day, but I changed my mind in mid stream on this.

I computer generated the sentiment and thought it worked so well with this image as well as the Load of Cakes image that I'd offer it up as a freebie. If you'd like to have it, you can grab it at the Card Universe
or on the Squigglefly Yahoo group.


This card is for the Crazy For Challenges challenge and The Pink Elephant Challenge which are both to make a birthday card.

Please go check out the design team blogs (the links are in my sidebar on the left) and give the new designers a big welcome to their first Squigglefly challenge! Thanks for stopping by!

19 comments:

Rose Petal said...

Hiya Holly. What a fab, fun card. such lovely vibrant colours to brighten up the day. Just fabulous.
Have a lovely day.
Happy Crafting.
Love Sandra xx

terriavidreader (IN-USA) said...

This is a fun card, and I love the bright colors!

Michele Spera said...

Really cute card!! It's such a fun image and love the sparkles off the candles:-) Very nice job
XMichele

msfreida said...

What a fun way to start the week! :) This is FABULOUS! While I LOVE this AWESOME sentiment, your other one is HILARIOUS! Thanks for the freebie! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the colors you used and the iridescent medium is PERFECT! This image is the CUTEST b'day one I've ever seen! That Cheryl ROCKS!

Have an AWESOME week everyone! :)
Hugs~

Becky said...

This is way to cute Holly, I just love this image and the colors you used. Awesome.

Ann said...

oh what a fantastic card - such a fun image. Thanks for joining us at The pink Elephant.

Ann xxx

Silvia said...

Holly your card is sooo sweet and fun! Love all the colors and the layout.

Heather the MooseLover said...

Cool! I love the vibrant colors and the glow around the candles. Perfect look for that image.

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

oh i love it. it's sooooo bright & colorful. and i love that sentiment too!

we have got a fabulous dt this year. holy moly! they really rocked today's challenge!

hugs :)

Kristie said...

Love this card!! Great idea to put the 'glow' around the candles.

The sentiment is perfect and I need to go snag it!

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

ACK!! I just LOVE this!! What a darling image and all of the pretty bright coloring is sooo awesome girl!! You're so fun and creative! !HUGS

Scrappy Witch said...

Great card, I love what you did with the candle glow! Thanks for joining us at TPE this week!

Betty

The Brat said...

Hey Holly,

Terrific card; I especially love the glow around those candle flames. Thanks so much for the freebie too.

Have a fun day!

Terri Fleming

Scrubbybubbles(sue) said...

Hi holly! what a fun card! I love the colors. Glad to hear your going to a copic class in march!! how exciting! I think you'll enjoy it. :)

Pam in Ar. said...

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...do you like my loud clothes...wait until you see my bathing suit..ROTFL...great job Holly!!!

Vicki said...

Holly Holly Holly! This card screams FUN! Love your colors!

HUGS,
Vicki

Emma said...

Gorgeous...love the image and colours.
Hugs Emma x

Heather said...

Oh this ones FUN!! Love the bright colors...

PaperCrafty said...

Very cute!! Love the fun image!! Thanks for playing along with us at The Pink Elephant!!

Sheri
TPE DT