Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Gone Fishing

Happy hump day everyone! I hope your week is going well! Many of you know that I work for a small construction company and I'm the only female in the place. All of the guys are avid outdoors men. They hunt and fish - a lot! Well, with spring on the way they are all cleaning out their boats and going through fishing catalogs looking for the perfect lure to bring in the big ones.

That's one reason I was really happy to see Teresa Ward's new image Gone Fishing. It's perfect for so many of the men I know, and also perfect for the Cards For Men challenge this week which is to use the color green.


(click to enlarge)


I colored this with copic markers and used chalk for the sky. The quotation was one I found on line just by searching for fishing quotes. I really liked it and think that it's probably true!

I added a few stickles to the water and cut a labels nestabilities in half to have on either side of the image. I distressed the edges a bit just because I think it adds to the "manliness" of the the card to do that. This also makes it eligible for the Saturday Spotlight challenge!

Now there's still time to make cards to enter the sketch and color challenges we had for Digi Day at card universe. Just go HERE to see the challenges and to enter your cards. There will be two prize winners chosen and announced on Saturday the 27th. Here is what you can win



package one contains 16 pieces of 12 x 12 designer papers (many double sided), 3 pieces of 6 x 6 designer papers, a Quickie glue pen, a package of Marvy Mini Blossoms, two hanks of ribbon, assorted word charms, and a package of bugle beads.




package two contains 16 pieces of 12 x 12 designer papers (many double sided), 3 pieces of 6 x 6 designer papers, a Studio G clear stamp set in a tropical theme, 2 hanks of ribbon, Paper Studio rub ons and stickers, assorted word charms, and a package of bugle beads.

Now isn't that worth playing? Enjoy your day, and thanks for stopping by!

21 comments:

Jeanette said...

What a great guy card. I really like how you did the sparkles on the water.

treesawardincrafts said...

Oh Holly, you could hear me squeak when I jumped onto your site for a look-see. I think you are absolutely right, this is just perfect for your boys. I think you have achieved your butch look with it. Thanks very much for showing it.

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is a beautiful card Holly!!! I just love your coloring, your image, and the sentiment!! Your glitter and take on the Sat. Spotlight is beautiful!!
hugs,
Chris

Pretty-In-Ink said...

A great guy card! the chalked sky is a lovely effect!

Catherine said...

What a lovely card Holly ! Perfect for men and God knows how difficult it is to make a card for one of "them" ! Smiles from Catherine

*Vicki* said...

Oh wow Holly!! I love this!! I have many "men" in my life as well and I'm always looking for great masculine ideas!! :) I LOVE the sparkle on the water and the distressing on the edges adds a great touch!! Thanks for playing along with us this week at Saturday Spotlight sweetie!! It's always fun to see what you come up with!! HUGS

Shawna said...

Another awesome card Holly! With 2 sons, 2 grandsons, and only 1 granddaughter, masculine cards are what is needed around here.......and they are so hard for me. Love your coloring and I love how you use chalk for your skies and how you make the majority of your sentiments via the computer. Wish I had thought of that a few years back; would have saved a ton in alpha stamps! LOL! You go girl!

Elaine A said...

Holly -

I love this card! It captures perfectly a happy moment and you've done a fabulous job with the coloring and the elements you used to put it together. Just Beautiful!

Elaine Allen

Joan said...

Wonderful masculine card!!!

Patricia St Martin said...

Beautiful card, I love making cards like that. You can enter that in Cards for Men we have a challenge going on right now tell Mar. 27 Green. Go to http://cardsformen.blogspot.com/ and enter Mr Linky, or go to my blog and click on card for men and it will bring you right there.
Hug.

Nannieflash said...

Fabulous card, love the scene, not sure I could make the ride, but its beautifully created.
Thank you so much for joining us at Cards for Men and good luck with the Challenge. With hugs Shirleyx

Donnas Den said...

Great card, Holly. I'm glad you joined us over at Cards for Men. Good luck with the challenge.

Donna

Pam in Ar. said...

Great card Holly. The verse is perfect as that's what they do remember...where they were. Perfect Man's man card :)great coloring and I like how you distressed the edges and used the textured cardstock....whoever gets this card will just love it!

bumblebee creations said...

what a super duper card Holly! Love how the water sparkles!

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

have you been taking "great card" pills????? wow! your cards have all be gorgeous. not that they never were.... but they are just MORE SO!

i'll take either one of those goodies too - lol.

bumblebee creations said...

I have added my color challenge. Thanks for the chance to win such awesome prizes!

Kim said...

What a great man card!!!!

Maria Matter said...

oh Holly, this is lovely!!! Can you say that about a guy card? lol

well it is! I really like it!

blessings, Maria

msfreida said...

Oh I hate I've had to miss out on all the fun lately...just too much going on here! Someone is going to be sooo lucky to win this jackpot! :)

I loved this image when I first saw it and you did such an amazing job with it! So serene looking...perfect for the quote you used! I love how you extended the water! This is by far the best "guy" card around! :)

Hugs~

Heather the MooseLover said...

Love your masculine card. That image is so calm and peaceful and you colored it perfectly for a masculine card.

I can't believe the prizes for the digi day sketch and color combo contest. WOW- some crafter is going to be mighty happy!

Dawn B. said...

This is such a great image for guys.. They are so hard to find. I love working with men... They are so fun.. Great job.. Thanks for joining us at Saturday Spotlight. Your candy is yummy.