Monday, March 1, 2010

Birthday Dragonflies

Hi everyone! I hope you had a really great weekend. I enjoyed my weekend even if I didn't do as much card making as I had hoped to do. I got a lot of little things done that needed doing.

Last weekend I filmed her playing with this giant tennis ball - well I THOUGHT I was filming it! When I came inside to upload it I discovered that I was pushing PAUSE when I thought I was pushing RECORD! So, yesterday I asked Brock to come kick the ball around and let me try to film it again.
We have a large lot that belongs to a church on the side of our house, and it is the perfect play area for her. Anyway, if you are not interested in seeing Riley play with her ball, feel free to scroll past the video and see today's card





One thing I did do was play in the featured stamper challenge on Splitcoast Stampers. To see the card I chose to CASE, just click HERE.

You can probably guess which Squigglefly image I chose to use. Of course, it's the beautiful Zen Dragonfly drawn by Angie Davis. I just love this image and still have plans to use it in another way, so I hope you like it too!



(click to enlarge)

I printed the image out making sure to center it with enough space around it for the piercing I had planned. I used a large oval nestabilities die and cut an oval opening out of some copy paper. Then I laid the opening over the image and chalked around the perimeter of the opening.

The image was colored with copic markers and then I added some brown puff paint to the cattail and a bit of crystal stickles to the dragonfly trail. The piercing was done and a sheer blue ribbon tied around the bottom.

The birthday greeting is from Stampin Up and was stamped in Bliss Blue ink. After I cut it out with a smaller oval nestabilities I chalked the edge of it and stuck it at the top. Even with all of the piercing, it was a rather quick card to do.

This card also qualifies for the Lexis Creations challenge which is Anything Goes,the Res Q Challenge which is to make a hybrid card, and last but not least the Saturday Spotlight challenge to make a clean and simple card!

I have a whole list of more challenges I'd like to take part in this week, and one of them is the new one that Maria has set on the Squigglefly blog. I hope you will go and take part in that challenge too. As you know, I offer a prize every week in the challenge, and this week's winner will receive this package of assorted Easter glitter



Well, have a great day and thanks for looking!

23 comments:

Leanne said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!

Hugs
Leanne
xx

Maria Matter said...

Wow, Holly what a beautiful card, love the oval shading!

I'm such a sucker for your videos, yes I watched Riley playing with that huge tennis ball...so did my kids! lol they now want a ball like that! too fun!

have a great day!
blessings, Maria

Pam in Ar. said...

LOL that has GOT to be the biggest tennis ball?? I have ever seen. It looked (and sounded ;)) like you all were having fun. Thanks for sharing..I never get tired of seeing videos...

The card was fun too..you always do such a great job Holly :)

Heather said...

Totally cute!!

LaVerne said...

Riley made me smile. How cute she is!

Shawna said...

Love your CAS card. Thanks for sharing your video of Riley! She's gorgeous! Ah, those wire hairs, they are something aren't they.

Kristie said...

Beautiful card, Holly!! Love the blue :)

Becky said...

I love this image!! And what a fabulous card, wonderful colors. My goodness I wish I had the energy that Riley has :).

maxine said...

A lovely card thanks for joining us at Lexi's Creations and good luck.

Linda L said...

Riley is so cute. I'll bet he will sleep good after all of that. I love the card too.

Lexi said...

This is lovely! Thanks for playing along at lexi's creations

Hugs Lexi xxx

Heather the MooseLover said...

What a great departure from your normal style. I love the gentleness and stillness of your card. I love the touch of glitter too. Well done!

Vicki said...

Holly your card is simply breathtaking...wow I love that image and the paper piercing is gorgeous...riley is such a cute bugger!

HUGS!
Vicki

Betty aka ZacksNana said...

I loved the video of Riley. She's darling! What breed is she? Some part Airedale? Poodle?
I have an Airedale/Border Collie mix and Seamus hasn't figured out what to do with a ball yet. Maybe I shoudl post him in front of my laptop so he can watch Riley do her stuff!
Love the dragonflies by the way. quite simple and truly elegant.

msfreida said...

Oh that Riley...what a luv!!! She could be a soccer star! Just wish I had half her energy!

This card is AMAZING, Holly! SOOO elegant! This image is one of my favorites too, and the way you did the oval shading really highlights its beauty! The piercing adds just the perfect touch! ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!

You have no clue how I want/need to get in my scraproom and play! Both challenges look like so much fun (not to mention a chance to win this awesome prize!)...maybe I will get caught up to where I can! :) I need my fix!!!

Hugs~

treesawardincrafts said...

Great card, yours and the one you cased (what does the acronym stand for I wonder)I love that image as well, very simple and elegant. Says it all really.

Elaine A said...

Holly -

I love this card. I am a big fan of dragonflies and this one is just gorgeous. Ms. Riley is so adorable.

Elaine Allen

Patricia St Martin said...

Riley is so much fun to watch. I had to shelties Maggie and Lady and they would play just like that. No more dogs, I do miss them but it just brakes my heart when something happens. Love your are Holly it is just beautiful.

Denise said...

a beautiful card! I love the gorgeous dragonfly image! Thank you so much for playing with RESQ-challenge this week!

Debby said...

Wowness! This card is gorgeous! I love the sponging in the cutout. I never think of that kind of stuff and wow is it effective. And holey moley look at all that piercing. Are you crazy? I don't have the patience for that. Beautiful. And Riley is such a cutie and how funny. I enjoyed watching her(: When no one wants to play with Tasha she will pick up that ball with her mouth, toss it in the air and chase it around and she will do that for about 10 minutes before the old girl gets tuckered out. Riley reminded me of it becaus she was having fun with the big ball all by herself.

*Vicki* said...

LOL!! Riley playing tennis is he?!! Thanks for sharing that and i have to say WOWZER!!! That card you've made is just amazing sweetie!! I love the glitter and the simple layout is just amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Saturday Spotlight sweetie!! HUGS

Crystal said...

This is sooo gorgeous, LOVE your CAS style card!!!! Thanks so much for joining us at Saturday Spotlight!!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is subtle and beautiful Holly!! Love the CAS look with the soft blue, spring image, and design!! Thanks for adding it to the Sat. Spotlight challenge.
hugs,
Chris