Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Copic Class and My Take On It

Good morning all! Since returning home from Memphis I have had no time to create, so still no card for you today. I do want to take a little time though to tell you what the class was like and what I learned.

First of all, the Copic certification class isn't so much about learning how to color - it's learning about the product so that you can better educate people and be able to answer questions that people have about the product. That was a little disappointing because all of us were wanting to learn more about how to color. But, the information we received will be helpful in your coloring too. Also, Sally Lynn told us that there are plans for an advanced coloring class that will be available to Copic Certified Designers! That will be one I won't miss if it comes near me!

Some things that were taught in the class were

Copic is pronounced COPE ICK not COP ICK. I started off pronouncing them wrong, but after seeing you tube videos of people pronouncing it correctly I have since changed that.
The Spica pens are pronounced SPEAK A. Until this class I was saying SPIKE A. Another fun little tidbit about the Spicas is that they are called At You Spicas and in Japan At You is Wow and Spica is Stars - so they are Wow, Stars!

It doesn't matter how you store you Copic markers, but the Spicas need to be stored flat. The reason is because the glitter is little bitty square pieces of glass that are suspended in the color and if you store them upright, either the pieces of glass will float to the top and you will only get color when you use them and no glitter, or the glass will sink to the bottom and all of your glitter will be used up leaving you with only color.

We learned a lot about what kinds of card stocks and inks work well with the copic markers, and also how to test card stocks to see if they are suitable. I personally didn't write a lot of this down because I am mainly a digital image user - but you can find all of the information on the card stocks at Marianne Walker's blog HERE. I will tell you that they say the Georgia Pacific white card stock does not meet their tests, but I have been using that for a lot of my cards and have not had problems.

The new Copic manual has tons of information in it on the card stocks and inks, but only two lines about using Copic markers with your digital images. They say that laser printers use toner and the toner is fused to the card stock so there are no problems. The ink jet printers vary so much that they only tell you to test it out. This is where I come in saying that you can still use ink jet printers to print out your digital images and use your Copic markers - you just have to try a couple of things. First, try coloring and if your ink doesn't smear you're good to go! If you do get some smears, try heat setting your image with your heat gun. If you still get smears, spray your image with a fixative or a light coat of an aerosol hair spray. Let it dry well before coloring. I have found that sealing takes care of all smearing problems, but I haven't tested all card stocks. The type of card stock you use has a lot to do with it too.

If you are still getting smearing, try using a different card stock. You can print your images on a glossy or coated card stock that allows the ink to stay wet a little longer so that you have time to sprinkle on some embossing powder which you can then melt with your heat gun. You will have no problems with smearing if your images are embossed. Some printers will allow you to go into the settings and adjust it to print with an extra heavy ink so you have time to emboss. So, there are a lot of options.

The most important thing for me to understand was the number codes on the markers. Of course I already knew that B is Blue, BV is Blue Violet, E is for Earth tones, G is Green, R is Red, RV is Red Violet, Y is Yellow, YG is Yellow Green, YR is Yellow Red, V is Violet, and C is Cool Grey and W is Warm Grey, but the numbers were confusing. Well, the second number is how much of the color is in there, the higher the number the darker the color. For instance if you have a B21 and a B24 = the B24 will be a darker blue than the B21. The first number is how much grey is in the color. The more grey, the less "bright" the color. When trying to pick colors that blend well together you will make all of your picks the same letter. Try to match the first number to keep the tone the same, and then choose two or three numbers difference higher and lower for highlights and shadows for your second number. For instance, if I were going to color a green leaf I would pick my favorite green for the leaf which is YG03. Then to choose a highlight green I would stick with the YG family, stay with the 0 for the first number and then choose a lower second number - in this case the lowest I can go is YG00. For my shadow, I would move up a couple of m=numbers for my last number and choose YG06 or 07. Once you learn how to read the wheel all of your combinations are pretty easy to pick.

Copic has a color wheel that you can see HERE . It's not a color wheel like we think of when we think of a color wheel - it's more to show you their range of colors and where they fall in line with each other. Once you understand the color wheel, choosing colors that will work well together (as in blending) as well as what colors will compliment each other is easier.

I will try in my future posts to not only list which Copic colors I use, but also how I use the color wheel in picking them. I hope that will be helpful to you all.

I'm really glad I went to the class, had a lot of fun and met a lot of really talented people. It was also nice to spend a few days with my daughter. Now I just need time to play! Hopefully I'll be able to do that soon!

It has gotten so warm here that I am afraid Spring will be a very short prelude to Summer. The temperatures are in the mid seventies with lots (dare I say too much?) sun and the mosquitoes have wasted no time in letting us know they are still around. I know many of you love the sun though, so I hope you are out enjoying it. Have a wonderful day, and thanks for stopping by.

20 comments:

Lauri said...

Thanks for sharing this! My daughter is in art school and considering getting certified...although she does not stamp! I hope to convert her some day....haha.....

msfreida said...

You weren't the only one mispronouncing their pens...thank goodness for U Tube! Oh well, however you pronounce them, they are still the best thing invented since sliced bread! And no matter who teaches what, YOU work miracles with these lil barrels of ink! Congrats on the certification! Thanks for all the useful info! :)

Hugs~

Vicki said...

Good to see you back Holly! Wow, I must say that although you didn't really color so to speak, you did learn a lot in this class! I am intrested in that color wheel so will be watching what you come up with on that...and I am with you...I think I would have been a little disappointed to not color!! But knowing there is an advanced class in the future is encouraging and something to look forward to! Glad you are back home!

HUGS!
Vicki

Pam in Ar. said...

Gee Holly, I'm with you...I want to learn how to color better. BUT..the info. they gave you seems to have been helpful at the same time. I would have loved to have gone to the class, I'm hoping I can go to the one in Branson this June...no date as of yet.

Time spent with your daughter was worth your trip :)

Look forward to seeing what you learned. Thank you so much for the card you sent me..it meant a lot :)

Try to stay out of the way of those storms today..I'm afraid we're in for a wild ride!

Maria Matter said...

wow, that was a really well written post Holly!
Thank you for sharing this with us!
I heard others say they were a bit disappointed they didn't color more, but knowledge is never wasted and I think most people walk away pleased with their new wisdom!
Glad you're back!
Blessings, Maria

Shawna said...

So glad you are home and that you enjoyed your class. Thanks so much for sharing what you learned, Holly! I would gladly trade weather with you if I could--- snowed last night. but it is clear now. And 19 degrees!!

BlueRose said...

Holly, thank you for the info on the Copic Markers, I to was disappointed to hear from your post that they don't help out with the coloring. I will be looking forward to the future class on that matter as well. I am very inspired by the color wheel which I came across the other day and thank you for explaining the number system that they use in the wheel. That I have found very use full the next time that I color. Thanks again Kat

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

well that was certainly very interesting and you would be a super teacher. thank you for sharing that! i totally enjoyed it.

KmoRakefet said...

Thank you so much for this post. However I fear that getting into the world of copics means that one need to be willing to exepance a LOT of money. I guess that a basic sat is not enough and buying it will only mean buying more copics :-)

Anonymous said...

Great information. I am a novice with this system, and have yet to buy my first marker although I love the look of the coloring done with these markers. I think that I will check out the information and maybe take the plunge. Thanks again for sharing the information.
Luvglitztoo

Craftyanny said...

I've found this very helpful too Holly. I'll be keeping a close eye out for more info re the colour wheel. I'm just off to check out the link now
Anne x

Linda L said...

This is a great post. Thanks for all the info.
Oh the sun sounds great but you can keep those mosquitoes. LOL

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this information. I look forward to more information on choosing colors that compliment each other. I love Copics but don't really have a lot of experience using them.
Edie

Heather the MooseLover said...

Thanks for sharing all this info. I always thought these classes were about coloring technique. Boy was I wrong. This is such great information- thanks for taking the time to share.

Jeanette said...

Thanks for all of the great info Holly. Gee, I was saying both names incorrectly. It's too bad they didn't let you color a little bit.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Betty aka ZacksNana said...

sounds to me like you got quite a bit from the class. Thansk for sharing this info. I use Copics and Spicas all the time. But like most I didn't understand how to use them to their best results. Now I can come back here and re-read whenever I think I might be in doubt. Thanks Holly! You're a gem!

Patricia St Martin said...

Thank you so much for sharing this with us Holly. It is really interesting. I new a lot a lot about the colors but I did not know about the hughs. I'm going to try and do that now. I'm going to be taking an on line class with Suzanna Dean she is offering 4 different classes cost of $45.00 each and the class infor stays with you for one year and as you want to advance you can go to the next level. They start Mar 15.

Dawn B. said...

Holly this is a wealth of info and I so appreciate you taking the time to type this all out.. I knew some of it but not all.. I have had a terrible time getting my Spica pen to work..Now I know why..:)

I do find that if I soak my paper too much my digis will smear.. It is frustrating.. I always do the faces first just in case..

Shelly Schmidt said...

Thanks for the info- I am signed up for a certification class in a few weeks in Ohio. I am also signed up for the Susanna Dean class- I signed up for class #2 to start out with, as I figured I have gone through alot if the initial info on the I Like Markers Blog.

treesawardincrafts said...

Oh my word, you did learn a lot. That colour wheel is just so much easier to understand. I just could not get my head round what all the numbers meant. I agree with you and your evaluation of the digi images though. Looks like you earned your certificate well. You have taught us a lot. I hope you were not too disappointed when you found out it wasn't going to be about how best to colour in. You taught us well though, so thanks a lot.