Sunday, March 14, 2010

Did You Ever Ask Yourself...

Hi everyone. I hope you are enjoying your weekend. My sinuses started giving me fits yesterday; I think it's because of all the spring trees and flowers blooming right now. It's got my nose tickling constantly which makes me sneeze, and then my nose drains so I'm blowing it all the time which has caused it turn a pretty shade of red and it's sore. Sounds attractive, doesn't it?

A lot of you have asked about my husband and how he's doing. Thanks so much for your concern. He is better, but he's not completely well. He finished his round of antibiotics, and still had stomach pain so the doctor has prescribed another round. Hopefully this round will do it in!

I have a card today that was a lot of fun to do, and I colored it with Copic markers using my new knowledge. I'm going to try to explain my color choices as I show you what I used to color with. First, here's the card



(click to enlarge)

I used the Squigglefly image The Wheels Are Turning drawn by Chesney Young, and I paired it with the sentiment Why Is Lingerie So Popular. The flourishes in the back ground are some clear Autumn Leaves stamps and they are stamped with black Memento ink.

I sponged around the edge of the oval with red ink, and I sponged the egdes of the flower petals with black ink. The leaves are punched with an EK success punch and the butterfly is from Martha Stewart. It's punched out twice and the top wings and folded up a bit. I didn't use any patterned paper on this card, so it qualifies for the Dare You 2 Digi Stamp challenge.

Okay, now about my coloring. Does it look different from before I took the certification class? First let me tell you that my sister Lynne Stansbery is a professional artist and she has told me several times that I don't do enough contrast in my coloring. When I was in Memphis for the Copic class, Sally Lynn (the instructor) told me I was too timid in my coloring - which I think is the same thing. So, with that being said I tried to apply a little more contrast. I think some of it just personal taste though too.
First of all, the colors I used for the face are these



I started off with the skin and used the E00 and used the YR00 for my next darkest color and the E11 for my very darkest. In most of the skin color blends Marianne Walker recommends on her I Like Markers Blog, the E11 is the second lightest. I just can't go as dark as she does and like the results. I used the R20 for the cheeks and the E04 for her lips. The B24 is her eye color.

For her shirt, I picked these colors




If you look at the copic color wheel you will see that in the reds that have the first number value as 2, there are R20, R21, R22, R24, R27,and R 29. The 20, 21, and 22 were all too pink for my red and black combo, so I went with the next three in line. I started off coloring the entire shirt with R24, then I used a little of the R27 in the places that had shadow and applied a little of the R29 in the places that have the darkest shadow. All of the colors were then blended with the R24.

Her hair was harder because I don't have all of the colors and of the browns I wanted to use I only had these two. E 27 would have been my preferred middle color.



To work around this I colored all of her hair with my lightest color E25, and then to add a little darker in the shadowed areas I picked up some ofthe E29 ink with my E25 pen and used that. The E29 was then used alone on the very darkest parts. You can make a color a shade or two lighter by doing that, or by added a grey - but again I didn't have a dark enough grey for this purpose. You can pick up a darker color with a lighter colored marker by touching the side of it directly to the marker tip, or you can rub your lighter marker tip against the inside of your darker marker cap (which is what I usually do), or you can even scribble some of your markers onto some plastic and use it like a paint palette and pick up color off of that.


Well, I hope that it's helpful to you to see how I'm choosing colors that blend together. Enjoy your Sunday, and do something extra fun to make up for losing that hour! Thanks for looking!

20 comments:

Jeanette said...

I was just thinking I need to get my Spring supply of allergy meds. This is the second morning of sinus headache.

Wow, this card is a stunner. Fabulous.

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

this card is gorgeous. i love all that red and your "new" coloring technique makes the image pop! and you are such a doll for sharing your lesson. thank you.

Shawna said...

First, let me say this card is FABULOUS! I love the sentiment....so funny, and I love the colors you chose. Glamour girl looks gorgeous, as she should. I think your coloring is fantastic,.... I have always been a fan of your coloring. This is one super card Holly! Thank you so much for sharing your knowlege with all of us. I really appreciate the guide on using the 3 colors. I knew about that, but what was surprising was using them and then going back over with the lightest one to blend. And I agree wholeheartedly with you in that some of it is personal preference. I think that is where our own style comes out. Have a great day and thank you for the update on your hubby. Will be praying this next round of antibiotics does what it is supposed to do!

Betty aka ZacksNana said...

Holly looks like you did learn a thing or 2 in your Copics class. Your coloring on this image is so true to life! Nice job! Teach me!?

Pam in Ar. said...

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about Holly!! You rocked it out of the park with this one I must say. It is totally not your normal card, I know a lot of folks like animal, cutesie kind of cards I guess I'm different. This is MY kind of card, and with your new coloring??? You REALLY rock now!!! Love,LOve,LOVE it!!!!

Glad to hear your husband is feeling better, hope this round of meds. does the trick!

msfreida said...

WOW...this is an eye-catcher for sure! LOVE the color combo and this fabulous image of Chesney's...the sentiment goes with her expression perfectly! The flourishes add just the perfect touch! I can't say I see a big difference in your coloring because it has always been perfect to me!I do love the shading on her hair, but you've always done that so well. In fact, your shading/blending is what's attracted my eye. Your explanation on why you chose the colors you did makes a lot of sense...I just have never thought about the "why", but more of the "git it and go"!!! LOL We do greatly appreciate you sharing your new knowledge. You ROCK, GF! :)

Hugs~

Linda L said...

Wow her skin looks so natural. You really did learn a lot. I hate it when I don't have the color I want and I have a lot of colors I think. I know I was told about the first number but you showing the markers and reading it really helped me. Now I need to get E11 and YR00. I always feel like I am playing bingo when I say the marker names. LOL
Beautiful card and I Love your coloring.

Chris (catt871) said...

GOrgeous card Holly!!! I think your colouring is always perfect!!!!!

KellyRae said...

What a fabulous card. Thanks for sharing your whys and hows of color choices (but I gotta say I think you've always had that coloring touch anyway).

joanne said...

All I can say is "that's sure a lot of coloring you did" - lots of work on this card. I envy you, because I don't have the patience to such intricate coloring. Great piece of art - Holly.
PS - I haven't done my Rock Face project to forward to you yet. Had company and just busy. I will get it to you when completed - could be awhile. Once again, thanks for the text.
joanne

The Brat said...

My DH and I had a big laugh out of this image a few weeks ago! I really like your red-hot steamy card Holly! I'm smiling!

Vicki said...

Holly your card is very stunning...I love the background as well and all the bling. I do believe your coloring does look different with the contrast coloring you have learned and so graciously shared with us...BUT I have always loved your cards and coloring!You inspire me always!

HUGS!
Vicki

Kristie said...

Fantastic job with the coloring, Holly!! Your card is very cool, I love all the red & black. You should definitely get E27, it's one I always use for hair!

Heather the MooseLover said...

I love the card. I love the drama- your coloring really pops.

Thanks for the coloring lesson. Can you believe I don't own any red Copics yet?

Christy Dillman said...

Holly- I love this card, it caught my eye immediatly with the contrast. Congrats on Certification!

Hugs,
Christy

berg4 said...

Very dramatic card - I appreciate the coloring explanations!

Becky said...

Well this is just stunning. Love this image also, and your coloring is fabulous.

Caroline said...

wonderfull card I love the deep reds
Thanks for joining us this week @ DU2DS xx

gemr said...

I love this card, Holly! Also, thank you for the great coloring tips.

Debby said...

Wowza this card is fantastic and the purty gal is gorgeous! I love the composition of this card and my goodness the coloring is amazing. Thamks for sharing your color choices. Helps a lot.