Monday, March 15, 2010

Owl In A Tree

Hey everyone! Squigglefly is posting a special discount code for 25% off everything you buy until April 1st. They are doing this to celebrate reaching 225 followers on their blog! Go to the blog now and read the details and get your code!

The Splitcoast Stampers Featured Stamper challenge was yesterday, and despite my constantly running nose I played along! The card I chose to CASE from the gallery can be seen HERE. This card also qualifies for the challenge going on at One Stop Craft Challenge because of the dotted designer paper I used in the background.

And here is my card



(click to enlarge)

I used the darling little Wise Owl image that Angie Davis drew for Squigglefly. The designer papers were given to me and I have no idea what company they are from.

I printed the owl out, and then cut it out with a square Nestabilities die. I turned it over and embossed it while it was still in the die. Then I sponged some Creamy Caramel ink around the edges which really gave it a distressed look.

I used my Stampin' Up slit punch to clip the corners and attached brads in the corners of the scalloped square. Here are the colors I used when coloring the owl.




Again, I don't have enough colors of brown to be choosing the correct blending groups, but I just worked with what I have. The little spiral clipie was silver and I colored with with a brown Copic as well as the twill ribbon which was a pale peach color. The card base was spattered with some brown ink with a brown Blo Pen. I love using those things to get a splattered paint effect!

Well, I hope you have a wonderful start to your work week and that the Spring pollen isn't affecting you like it is me! Thanks for looking!

16 comments:

Jeanette said...

Making something without the correct blending colors sure didn't stop you from doing a beautiful job of coloring on this very cute card. Is that a run on sentence? I guess I have to add a blog pen to my shopping list.

Craftyanny said...

It's adorable Holly, I use the 'wrong' colours constantly lol but you'd never guess you have with this one:)
Anne x

Vicki said...

Good morning Holly! Your card is a cutie this morn...really liking the layout and your coloring is fab...as it always is....what is a Blo pen? I understand the effect you were able to get from it but have never heard of it! You can't tell I am a greenie can you? LOL


HUGS!
Vicki

Heather the MooseLover said...

I love your owl card (and the DP that you got as a gift!) I love the muted color palette you chose.

*Vicki* said...

Holly, your coloring is always amazing girl!! I adore that image!! Hope you're doing well!! HUGS

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

oh this is fabulous. i like the color combo!

Kristie said...

Very cute! Love the color combo you used. I got this owl a few weeks ago and finally printed him, hope to make something soon :)

Hope you get a relief from your allergies soon!

Shawna said...

Cute little owl
up in a tree
Where can he be?
Over at Squigglefly
Come and see!
Sorry --- your heading had me thinking Dr Suess. Love the card Holly!

Betty aka ZacksNana said...

cute! love his google-y eyes!

Patricia St Martin said...

I love your card, layout is really nice.

Crissy Armstrong said...

Such a sweet owl, and sweet the way you presented it! Your colouring is fab, no worries on the colour choices there! We never would have known! I love your coloured twill and spiral too!

Pam in Ar. said...

Love the flowers in the background with the green dots in the front..good colors too!

Becky said...

It is just adorable, and the coloring is fab. love the dp paper.

KmoRakefet said...

Very sweet. calm colors :-)

Suzi said...

Gorgeous card, love the image, papers and the design. Thank you for joining us at OSCC this week. Hugs Suzi x

Debby said...

Very nice. I need to get my blo pens out!