Saturday, March 20, 2010

Slick and Shiny Rain!

Good morning everyone! Happy first day of Spring! I know a lot of you aren't exactly experiencing a beautiful first day of Spring, and they are calling for rain and colder temperatures here today too, but it hasn't arrived yet!

Yesterday afternoon when I arrived home from work I had a surprise waiting for me! It was an issue of Just Cards magazine that was sent to me because I had a card that was published in it! It was so cool to see Squigglefly.com's name in a magazine! If you happen to get the magazine, my card is on page 83. It is one I did at Thanksgiving using Crissy's Thy Cart Overfloweth image.

Today is a new release at Squigglefly. They are introducing a new artist - Diane Carubia! If you haven't yet checked out Diane's darling images, I urge you to run over there now and take a look! Also, I want to remind you all that tonight at 7 pm central time we will be having another Digi Day at Squigglefly's group on the card universe. I hope you will find a little bit of time to drop by and see what's going on. There will be a challenge or two and some prizes to be had! Maybe even a freebie!

One more reminder before I get to today's card. Yesterday I posted a card using Crissy Armstorng's cute little bunny with tulip image and mentioned how Crissy didn't give this cute little fellow a name. I decided to have a contest to name him and Crissy herself has agreed to pick the winner! You have until tomorrow night to enter a suggestion for a name, and I will announce the winner on Monday. I haven't yet picked out a prize for the winner, but I am going shopping today and will pick something fun! Just leave a comment on my post HERE and tell me the name you suggest.

UPDATE - I have now purchased the prize for this contest and as an added bonus Crissy Armstrong has agreed to pick the winning name AND give the winner the Bunny With Tulip image free. If you already have that image, you can pick another of Crissy's wonderful images. Here's a picture of the goodies I picked up for the winner




Okay, today's card was for three different challenges but I was too late for one of them. Squigglefly's challenge was to use something shiny, Stef's color challenge on card universe are yellow, green, and black, and Vicki's Saturday Spotlight challenge was to use something slick. I was too late for the Saturday Spotlight. Anyway, here's my card


(click to enlarge)

I used the April Showers image and colored it with Copic markers. I colored this at work so I wasn't able to keep track of the colors I used. I chalked the ground and sky and then I added crystal effects to the rain puddle, umbrella, and rain drops. After it dried, I added a little bit of stickles. Here's a close up of the image so you can see the crystal effects better



I printed the sentiment out on my computer and punched it out with an oval punch. Then I punched a border with a Martha Stewart punch and ran it through a corrogater to make it a little more pliable. This allowed me to bend it around the oval shape and create a fun little frame.

For the inside, I complete the "April Showers" saying and printed out Nina Brackett's Floral Frenzy image. It was colored with Copic markers as well and a few Spica markers were used for the flower centers and the butterfly trails.


(click to enlarge)


Speaking of the inside of cards, Squigglefly has just come up with a fantastic idea! They are gong to start releasing the first of a new line next weekend. The new line is called Inside Outs and you can read all about them and how you can win a set of your own inside outs on their blog. They are fantastic though! They take all guess work out of completing a card - they have an image and sentiment for the front and an image and a sentiment to complete your card inside! I know you will love them! Look for the first Inside Outs next weekend!
Whew! what a long post! I really hope to see you tonight at the digi day, and thanks for looking!

22 comments:

Jeanette said...

Good Morning Holly, Congratulations on being published in Just Cards. Yay!

I love the shiny rain on this card. And, your coloring, as always, is extra special. How clever to tie the two stamps together in one card.

Catherine said...

Hello Holly ! What a fab card ! I love the rain effect and the green frame for the sentiment looks great ! Congratulations for being published ! All well deserved ! Smiles from Catherine

Pam in Ar. said...

I am so happy that you had your card published! I know you are well deserving of it and have worked very hard for that. You always do such an awesome job when you make cards to put on here, it's high time someone else recognizes you too :)So happy for you.

Love the design you made for your sentiment today...the raindrops almost FEEL wet LOL...awesome card Holly. Have a great Saturday!

Linda L said...

Wow what a great card! I love the way you made the rain. We had snow last night. I was all gone but it is just a grass snow and it has to snow three time on a robins tail before we get spring. So one down.
I love the inside. I love Nina Brackett's art. I have a set or two of her cling stamps.
I am headed to check out the Inside Outs.

Shawna said...

Fabulous card Holly, and I love how you did the rain and puddle.

Shawna said...

OMGosh! I forgot to congratulate you on being published!!! You go girl!!

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

you actually get to color at work????? i want your job - lol!

adorable card. LOVE the glittery rain drops. we have glittery snowflakes right now! UGH!

Joan said...

Okay, I love so many things about this card - that "lace" around the sentiment is fantastic, I like her slicky raincoat and those rain drops - AWESOME!!!!!

Heather said...

Wow!! Love your rain drops.. Happy Saturday..

Biscuitlid said...

oooh love what you've done with the border punch - that looks fabbo
Hugs
Victoria

x

Anonymous said...

I love the shiny rain effect and of course your coloring is wonderful. Love this card.
Luvglitztoo

Betty aka ZacksNana said...

very pretty! love the slick accents too!

Heather the MooseLover said...

You're famous! Congrats on being published.

I love this card. Great shiny look too. April showers is one of my top 3 images and the main reason why I started buying Copic markers.

bumblebee creations said...

Love it! Can't wait for the inside outs! Off to check out this weeks release!

Elsina said...

Congratulations on being published! Well deserved!

Dawn B. said...

Well that looks like real rain.. You picked the perfect image Holly. Love your coloring. I have to say I am so happy on your published card. I do get that magazine and I will have to take a look when it comes.. Congratulations..:)

Becky said...

This is just awesome. love the rain, looks so real.

msfreida said...

HOLY COW...HOW AWESOME!!! I'm SOOO proud of/for you! Will you autograph my copy when I get it? FINALLY someone puts their glasses on! Teehee

This card is SOOO FABULOUS! LOVE how you combined the images (what an AWESOME idea with Inside and Out!) SOOO CLEVER! Your blending/shading on her raincoat/boots is amazing! You are a genius to use a corrogater to make the border workable! I NEVER would have thought of that! Love how you used it around the cutout! And the crystal effects makes the rain, puddle, and umbrella look sooo real! Such an AWESOME card, Holly! :)

Hugs~

Scrubbybubbles(sue) said...

Hi holly. :) what a great card! and your coloring is fantastic!

Gina said...

Great card and I love the shine on that umbrella!

*Vicki* said...

WOWZER!! Holly, this card is sooo gorgeous and a special congrats to you for publishing!!! so well deserved hun!! HUGS

Debby said...

your crystal effects look amazing! Love the frame.