Friday, April 16, 2010

Flower Maiden

Hi everyone! I'm so glad that today is Friday. This has been a long week for me! I wanted to tell you all about something that happened the other day that totally made my day and well, actually made my whole week! I woke up and checked my e mail just like I do every morning, and I had a comment left on my blog from someone named Deena who told me that she had something on her blog for me. I went to her blog and checked it out and saw the sweetest thing ever! Deena had asked her blog readers to share with her blogs that inspired them, and Freida had left a comment telling her my blog was her inspiration! Really Freida said the sweetest things about me and it just lifted my spirits tremendously! You can see what Freida said here, and while you're there take a gander at Deena's blog because it totally rocks! Thanks so much Freida for your support and friendship!

Okay, now to today's card. I used the new squigglefly image that Rich Davis drew called Vintage Flower Maiden. She's colored with Copic markers. I printed one image on card stock and one on vellum and cut her dress out of the vellum to piece over the colored piece. I thought the vellum softened it a bit. I was going for the look of a nightgown that has a filmy piece of fabric over the under layer. Not sure I achieved that exactly, but it is softer than the original.

After I colored her I clipped the corners and mounted it on some light blue card stock, and then I found an old necklace in a can of junk jewelery I have and I cut it apart and stuck two of the heart shaped pearls in the top corners. The designer paper is from K and Company and I used a notch corner punch on all the corners so I could string some iridescent thread around the edges. All of this is mounted on some ivory card stock.

I don't do vintage or retro type cards very well, so I don't do them often - but this image just charmed me. I had fun working with it!

Wishing you all a wonderful day and I'll be back tomorrow! Thanks for stopping by!



14 comments:

bumblebee creations said...

your coloring is magnificent!

Dawn B. said...

Awwww Deena is so sweet and yeah for your nomination.. I LOVE this image.. It has a vintage feel to it.. Great job Holly.. I am so happy it is FRIIIIDDDDDAAAAYYYY. Have a great weekend.

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

1) beautiful card
2) that freida... she's the best
3) and your blog is inspiring. AND one of my favorties!
4) but then, i love you!

hugs :)

Shawna said...

Your blog IS inspiring and that Deena is a smart girl for nominating you. I love today's card Holly. Sweet image, great coloring, and I love that you used old jewelry for embellies.

Becky said...

What a great image, and the colors are soft and pretty.

msfreida said...

Oh Holly, you're too sweet! It makes my heart smile knowing it made your day because you are constantly making mine! :) I love to give credit where credit is due, and you have been a major inspiration to sooo many of us! I have been following your blog for almost 3 yrs, and over those yrs, I have not only gained inspiration from your wonderful creations, a notebook full of your tips, tricks, and techniques, a new world of coloring, etc, I've gained a new BFF! Also, had it not been for you and your blog, how in the world would I have found all the other blogs that are so much a part of my day? I have gained sooo much inspiration, but more importantly, treasured friendships! :) I love ya, GF! What more can I say? :)

Ok...now let me give you my thoughts on this card! IT'S FABULOUS! Don't ever say
you don't do vintage cards very well... this is AMAZING...the colors you used, the extra details on the corners, not to mention how wonderful she's colored! And the vellum really adds to the dress...almost makes her look sexy! LOL I am in love with this image, and you ROCKED it GF! :)

Sorry for another "book"! I just love to talk about things I love! ;)

Hugs~

Elaine A said...

Hi Holly -

Freida is right, you provide inspiration to quite a few of us. I love your humor, your willingness to share your knowledge with us and your generosity of spirit. I'm also a big fan of Riley's! Thank you for all your tips, and techniques, I truly appreciate them and you've added to my base of crafting knowledge. And as for your card today, I LOVE IT! What a wonderful piece of art! I love the sweet vintage, dreamy look you've achieved here - excellent!
Have a super weekend!

Elaine Allen

Jennifer Scull said...

that is just simply beautiful! :) have a wonderful weekend! and of course people say nice things about you - you are a nice person!

Patricia St Martin said...

WOW Holly, very nice. I also do not do vintage very often. You did a lovly job. The flowers around her are really nice.

The King's Pen said...

Beautiful job on "the ole girl"!
I've noticed that many ladies have said they "don't do vintage well".
Hog wash! (I can say that, I live in Arkansas! Go hogs!)

Pam in Ar. said...

You rock it so many times Holly that it's awesome to be recgonized on other blogs. Freida is right, you do inspire people. I know you do me :)

You don't do many vintage cards but you did this one superbly...thanks for sharing with us and congrats. on being noticed not only by us, but other people :)

Bonibleaux Designs said...

Hey Girlie - I haven't been by in a bit - real job keeps getting in the way of my fun time LOL I am totally lovin' this little vintage gal. I have been watching your artwork and just had to stop by and tell you how much i appreciate your sense of humor and style!! Keep on Rockin' On!!!

Joan said...

Very beautiful card.

ScrappinCntryGrl said...

Holly this card is wonderful..and i think you did a beautiful job at creating a "vintage" look....